Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to doo. I got a hand me down 99 formula dlx 500 fan. It's going to be my buddy/wife sled and I'm in the process of getting it going. The skis were shot so I'm getting a set of the camoplast blow molded skis. They fit the projects budget and for the intended use I think they will work well. The upper chain case bearing had a failed cage and it was ratcheting. I replaced the bearings and seals and chain, first one I had done so I was pretty proud. I changed the brake rotor key, it has pretty eaten up from going back and forth on the shaft. Something happened with the brake caliper and one piston fully retracted and the other extended and it ground down the rotor groove so I put an eBay caliper on it and that's all good.

It came from my wife's mother and hadn't been ridden in 5 years. I took the gas out of it 3 years ago but never drained the carbs or cleaned them. When I cleaned them this time they were stained yellow. I cleaned the jets, one pilot is stuck someone broke off the screw slot so I had to clean it in place. I had to turn up the idle screws 3/4 turn to get it to idle at 1600 and the air screws in to 1.5 turns to get a steady idle. It won't come up off idle without a shot of choke so a second cleaning is in order. I'm going to chem-dip them as the outsides are filthy too.

Now can you all help me out for the what's to look for and be sure to do? I have the PDF of the doo shop manual.

Where is the fuel filter and what kind is it? Is it a mesh metal screen, paper? Does it act as the clunk? I have seen the check valve going to the oil pump that looks like a fuel filter but I know that's not it.

What is the list of look out for's or just good to knows? The sled has 9900 miles and I found the bogey wheel bearings are a little noisy but none are seized. I sure am glad this sled has electric start. I've never found a piston port sled to start as quickly as one with reed valves.

Thanks guys!

·
2nd Whore in command
102,239 Posts
The fuel filter is in the tank and is metal mesh usually. Take a good look at the carb boots as they are known for rotting and cracking which will cause a lean issue.

Welcome to Dootalk!!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Welcome to Dootalk, post some pic's of your project, we all like picture's around here, If the idler bearing's are noisy you could replace them for piece of mind, there not expensive, Enjoy the form's and again WELCOME

·
old ski-dool
3,313 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to replace the fan belt and check the fan bearing.
Good idea to replace the idler wheel bearings too if they are noisy.

Welcome to Dootalk Tugger. :lol:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks guys. The idler wheels do the dry spin, which tells me they are out of grease. I will have to look at them again and see if any are really bad. This will be a work in progress for a while. My son is 10 months old so my wife won't be riding it this year. If it gets 300 miles this winter I would be surprise. If the low snow continues though I might ride it over my 99 indy. I did pop off the fan shroud before starting it the first time, belt tension was within spec and it didn't look bad. I did spray the crank seals with either and they passed that test. The carb boots seemed nice and pliable pulling the carbs off but I will inspect them again when I have the carbs off. The regional interstate battery hub is in the next town over from me and I got a 20 size agm battery for $25 for it. I'm on the tugboat until the 27th then I have my 2 weeks off so this will get finished up then but trying to get the list to get it finished now. I will put up some chain case pics when we get to the next dock. I put royal purple in the chain case, I have had good luck with it in my other sleds. It does kind of stink the s chassis case doesn't have a drain plug. That part of the belly pan needs a good soak with some engine degreaser and a blast with the pressure washer this summer. I want to paint the pipe too it's a little rusty. I'm not very good at taking pictures. Once I get gloves on and they get dirty I forget all about grabbing my phone. It's all I have for now. The trailing arms have some bubbling rust down by the spindle, they will need to be stripped and painted this summer. Anybody know what that mustard yellow color is?

I do like the availability of NOS parts fairly cheap on eBay. It makes it nice to put oem parts in not China junk.

IMG_2304.JPG

IMG_2334.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IMG_1143.JPG

IMG_1142.JPG

Here are my other sleds. The mountain sled is a very customized mtn max. Its been stretched to a 151" and has an ez-ryde skid on it as well as a bunch of other mods. It went on a sever weight diet and lifting it by the rear bumper it feels lighter than a new RMK.

The indy is a 99 sks. That's my current trail sled. it's a 136 with a 1.5" ripsaw. I changed the bars to straight bars with adjustable risers for this winter. It's got running board grippers on it which stiffened up the hammered on stock boards. Other than that it's just a stock 700 non ves.

I'm toying with making this formula a 136 in the future. Is that a waste? I was trying real hard to find a 2001 phaser mtn lite to hide away for my son until he was older. If this formula proves to be dependable and powerful I wonder how it would do with a 1.25" ripsaw if I gear it down to 380 fan specs in the chain case? I think it would be a nice flat land ditchbanger for him and it's light enough it shouldn't get buried if you try and point it uphill.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts