Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if someone who has swapped up to the SC3 skid and moved the rear mounting brackets, if you could post up some pics of your results and how it looks with the bracket moved.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Here's one with my wahl brackets installed. I left the rivets for the factory mounts so it didn't look like there was a bunch of holes in the tunnel.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Why do an SC3; when the SC4 is so much of an improvement over the SC3? Just curious. I did put an SC4 in my 03 Rev which had an 02 440 SC3 skid in it.

I have been trying to get all of the dimensions of the various sleds in a chart as I pick them up here on doo talk as shown below. I do have a pair of Rev rear mounting brackets for putting an SC4 skid in a Rev (it is easy to do buy drilling out/grinding off the old bracket rivets and replacing. I have not done a ZX skid... ala a 99.

Skid Mounting center to center distance on Skidoo short track sleds:
SC2 = 24 3/4"
SC3 (02/03 zx and 03 rev) = 24.0"
SC3 (04/05 rev) = 24.5"
SC4 = 23 7/16"
SC5 (xp) = 22 3/4"

Skid Mounting center to center distance on Skidoo 136 " sleds:

ZX Renegade = 29" ?

SC3 = 31 5/16
SC4 = 28 ¾"

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I heard someone say that the SC4 was built for the rider forward sled designs.

Id just like something better for trail riding over the SC10 stock junk with worn out shocks. Just not sure if I want to move the mount, or put rivets through my chassis.

Thanks MZI for the pic..

Can I get more from others?

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Sc4 is for the rider forward sleds
That is the myth....or the story. I have one ZX sled left, and I have an SC5 skid...(which is also a rider forward design)guess I will have to do the swap and and see how terrible it. I personally think it will work just fine. I do know the SC4 rides a ton better then the SC3, particularly the early SC3. The SC5 rides even better. And I do remember how bad the original SC's were.

The last I recall, the XP, Rev and ZX both have two skis and a track.. yep the CG moves a bit. But when you compare a 121 vs 136, then a 144, 146, 151, 153, 159, 162.... well on a 121/120 makes the CG change look pretty small... with rider forward.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Try it. Let us know what you find. When I heard the sc4 is optimized for rider forward it made sense to me. On my F3 I'm sitting over the middle of the skid. On my XP I'm sitting over the front of the skid. At the very least they changed spring rates on the torsion springs and the front shock. My Buddy's 06 MXZ the torsion springs are super soft compared to the ones on my F3. (I have a 136" sc2 on it) But he rarely bottoms out.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Try it. Let us know what you find. When I heard the sc4 is optimized for rider forward it made sense to me. On my F3 I'm sitting over the middle of the skid. On my XP I'm sitting over the front of the skid. At the very least they changed spring rates on the torsion springs and the front shock. My Buddy's 06 MXZ the torsion springs are super soft compared to the ones on my F3. (I have a 136" sc2 on it) But he rarely bottoms out.
Yes, I think a few spring changes will be all that are needed. Time will tell. I personally don't think it is a big deal based on having the skids side by side and comparing them.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
The big difference is how the skid works. Sc4 and Sc5 the skid is center shock driven and you sit/stand on top of the center shock. The sc3 and older is all rear shock driven and the weight is over that shock. You also have to consider how high the back end is in the air. Sc10 to sc5 your gaining 5 inches of travel.

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is good information. I appreciate everyone's input.

Still searching for pics of those who have changed their skid, of the rear mounting bracket area.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
That is the myth....or the story. I have one ZX sled left, and I have an SC5 skid...(which is also a rider forward design)guess I will have to do the swap and and see how terrible it. I personally think it will work just fine. I do know the SC4 rides a ton better then the SC3, particularly the early SC3. The SC5 rides even better. And I do remember how bad the original SC's were.

The last I recall, the XP, Rev and ZX both have two skis and a track.. yep the CG moves a bit. But when you compare a 121 vs 136, then a 144, 146, 151, 153, 159, 162.... well on a 121/120 makes the CG change look pretty small... with rider forward.
When you say the SC4 rides considerable better than the SC3 did both skids have comparible shocks and springs in them or just what ever they came with?

G

·
This is good information. I appreciate everyone's input.

Still searching for pics of those who have changed their skid, of the rear mounting bracket area.
i know you dont want to make your sled look all butchered up...but you cant possibly be more anal than me when it comes to how it looks...ive done it and im fine with the new rivits...paint the heads black... or doo like mzi did and grind the rivits from the inside pop off the bracket and the original rivit heads will stay in place...thats what i did also. no pics for ya the sled is in storage in wisconsin.
+

1 - 14 of 14 Posts