Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I NOTICED WHILE READING AT DOO-TALK, SKI-DOO WAS NOT READY TO BRING OUT THE SC-4. YOU NEVER HEAR ANYBODY COMPLAIN ABOUT THE SC-3. I DO REALIZE THE SC-4 IS BRAND NEW BUT THEY HAD TO PROTOTYPE IT (DID THEY??). THE ONLY ONE POSITVE THING I HEARD IS, IF YOU ARE FLYING DOWN A TRAIL THE SC-4 TAKES THE REALLY BIG BUMPS BETTER. I AGREE WITH YOU THE SC-3 IS BY FAR BETTER!!!
ANYBODY DISAGREE????

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I HOPE SKI-DOO READS THIS!!!! I THINK THEY ARE IN BIG TROUBLE ON THEIR SC-4!!!!! WILL SC-3 BE PUT IN THEIR 2006 MODELS???????

·
Registered
429 Posts
Can't really comment on SC4,haven't ridden 05 x model sled yet,have you w-rev?I think sc3 is alright,but could transfer better as far as I'm concerned.Hate taking blocks out to get decent holeshot.Studs doing a little damage to tunnel.

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
The day any sled company makes a suspension that EVERYONE likes is the day the rest of the companies can close thier doors. In other words it'll never happen. Ski doo wont scrap the SC4, in fact Ill bet you see it on more sleds next yr, but it'll be calibrated differently.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Yes it is made for big bumps ! Hard hits and huge air. And it works great for that. But I'm going against the flow saying that it is good for small bumps and turns too.

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
4,212 Posts
WOLVERINE REV said:
I NOTICED WHILE READING AT DOO-TALK, SKI-DOO WAS NOT READY TO BRING OUT THE SC-4. YOU NEVER HEAR ANYBODY COMPLAIN ABOUT THE SC-3. I DO REALIZE THE SC-4 IS BRAND NEW BUT THEY HAD TO PROTOTYPE IT (DID THEY??). THE ONLY ONE POSITVE THING I HEARD IS, IF YOU ARE FLYING DOWN A TRAIL THE SC-4 TAKES THE REALLY BIG BUMPS BETTER. I AGREE WITH YOU THE SC-3 IS BY FAR BETTER!!!
ANYBODY DISAGREE????

[snapback]260547[/snapback]​
Alot may have to do with setup here. I remember all the kickback in the SC-10xc (also a skidframe that coupled rear to front only). People complained that their sleds were almost unrideable in square edged bumps due to the steep rail angle caused when the falling rate front arm would collapse almost completely followed by the rising rate rear impacting the bump. The resulting kick was pretty sharp, kind of like a hard spanking with a 2x6
. This kick could be all but eliminated by running the front arm spring as tight as it would go, turning the ACM all the way in, and running the rear torsion springs as loose as possible. This way the front arm would resist collapsing on impact, plus the soft rear springs would start moving easily when the rail near the rear arm did come in contact with the bump, and the early ACM (rear to front) coupling and stiff front arm preload would impart bottoming resistance the the rear arm. I loved the SC-10xc when set up like this but absolutely hated the way most people ran theirs. The SC-IV is likely pretty similar in that respect, setup is key.

I'd try a setup similar to the one above keeping in mind that the front arm of the SC-IV is rising rate. I'd set the blocks to couple as early as possible and see how slack I could run the rear torsion springs AND how little damping I could get away with without hard bottoming of the rear arm. You should be able to go pretty slack with that rising rate front arm brought into play so early on. It may be that re-springing and/or re-valving the front arm to get it stiff enough will be required (we all know how Doo likes marshmallow soft suspensions
).

Just my thoughts. I've finally got my SC-III perfect after 2 seasons and a bit so I think I'll keep it for awhile

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
TT670 said:
The day any sled company makes a suspension that EVERYONE likes is the day the rest of the companies can close thier doors. In other words it'll never happen. Ski doo wont scrap the SC4, in fact Ill bet you see it on more sleds next yr, but it'll be calibrated differently.
[snapback]260661[/snapback]​
Bingo. What TTsaid. Trail riding is a huge compromise as the terrain changes by the hour and you really never get the sled exactly how you would like it. Sno Cross in this respect is much easier to tune for as you know the track WILL get worse as the day goes on but the general flow of the track is the same.. Man made jumps don't change much but natural moguls and washouts change all the time...

Sc-4 will be here to stay but it obviously will need some tweaking...

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
PLEASE....NEVER say a suspension is too stiff! Doo could hear 500 people say that the suspension is too soft, and then hear ONE person say it is too stiff, and bingo! Next year's suspension will be SUPER-DUPER soft, and the other 10,000 people who think it is too soft will suffer yet again!...............so plese hush hush!

·
Registered
429 Posts
WOLVERINE REV said:
257 as of now looked at this sight !!!!!! yes an x package is suppose to be good on a really hard bump !!! Is that all it is good for???? It tells me buy an sc-3 not sc-4 ??????

[snapback]261575[/snapback]​
Why are you making such a big deal out of this,you have sc-3 on your sled?

·
Registered
88 Posts
mxz700x said:
WOLVERINE REV said:
257 as of now looked at this sight !!!!!! yes an x package is suppose to be good on a really hard bump !!! Is that all it is good for???? It tells me buy an sc-3 not sc-4 ??????

[snapback]261691[/snapback]​
I have the 05 X and the SC4 is great, better handling, good control and fully adjustable for any condition. What else could you ask for?

·
Registered
173 Posts
wirefox said:
mxz700x said:
WOLVERINE REV said:

[snapback]261691[/snapback]​
I have the 05 X and the SC4 is great, better handling, good control and fully adjustable for any condition. What else could you ask for?
[snapback]261699[/snapback]​
I agree I rode mine for the first time last weekend in marginal condition. The weight transfer is awesome and once you get it dowm to your riding style you are golden. I was hammering through 2 footers at 60-70 and sitting on the seat with very little effort. This is a suspension for tuners that like to chenge their ride with the trails. If you want to just go out and cruise and not really have to worry about it then the SC3 is the suspension that would suit you. If you are a rider and tuner that love to lean out in the corners and make the sled handle rather than sit there as a rider this suspension shines. I ride hard nd that is where I found that the SC4 comes to life and loves to take on bumps and jumps and then when you press the throttle lift the skis tranfers the weight and then put them down once your at speed. I think that this suspension and sled kicks "edit for bad language" but again it is a SKI-DOO so why wouldnt it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'll take my SC4 over and SC3 anyday. It eats up the bigger hits better, has better hookup and control. Stock for stock 600 SDI's, my 05 vs by friends 04...same setup except for the suspension, I smoked him everytime on the holeshot. We switched...same result. The SC4 is here to stay.

·
Registered
745 Posts
sc4 has better weight transfer, hook-up, big bump handling and adjustments than sc3. Definately not too stiff, I had to crank my settings almost all the way stiff to get it to my liking. I only weigh 170 lbs. I was on a pond Sun. hanging with a couple mach z 1000s, thanks to the good hook off the start. If I was them I would be "edit for bad language" I spent the extra $$ to look over and see an 800 next to me. My only complaint is the hyfax wear. Probably due to the track clips on every window.
If you don't like the sc4 try changing something, the skid is very adjustable.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Guys I don't get it last year everybody was complaining the suspension was to soft and especially the GADE was bottoming to easly. I was one of them that said the gade bottomed way to much and yes it was an X. Well I traded my 04 GADE X for a short track 800X 05 and I for one think the SC4 is much better sure it is a little stiff but i haven't even touched the suspension until I get 300 miles on it. I have 200 miles now and will soon hit the 300 and at that time after the sled has had a chance to loosen up I will start adjusting to maybe get a little softer ride. But in the rough stuf this thing is unbelieveable it can take a pounding and no bottoming. You can actuall fell the shock working instead of just springs recoiling like the regular sc3. Little or no kick back and transfers great. May still push more in the turns than I like but I believe that is a ski problem not the SC4. The REV has a ski lift problem when ridden hard but that is the nature of the beast to high center of gravity. Rode with a buddy that has an F7 I could beat him at everthing top end mid range and out of the hole,in the rough stuf he was wore out and I was only 3/4 wore LOL.The only time I had trouble was in the real tight stuff the f7 handles great as long as it is not to rough. As for the center of gravity I think the f7 could drive under the REV. Rev is way to high for high speed ad real tight trails. But all said I got the speed I got the comfort I got the hook up and fit and finish. The only thing I don't have is the handling in the REAL tight stuff(and even then it still handles pretey good).You can't have everything But the REV is as close to perfect as you are going to get. Remember the X model is for people who want to pound over the bumps and not so much groomed trail although it is great here also. if you find it stiff you bought the wrong sled and should have gone with the STD model . I haven't had my spine rattled this year but I sure did last year. Next spring check your ego not the X model remember everyone has their oppinion this is mine don't take it personal Oh yea I am only talking about the X not the Mach

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree with mxzx donnyc!!! This suspension is for riders and tuners... I will first agree that the SC-4 is a nice and long awaited for suspension from DOO. Every suspension before this was a battle for transfer but had a great ride... I M O I would rather have the transfer and ajust the suspension for the ride... As the conditions and trails change I can change with them and still have the wicked hook up that helps with those f7's...I will aslo agree that the SC-3 was a better all round suspension that did not require the attention the SC-4 does. Those who want to point and shoot, have the same settings from December to April shoulod stick with the SC-3... Those who want to go harder, bigger, faster, ect... ENJOY the SC-4.

·
Registered
745 Posts
[qThose who want to go harder, bigger, faster, ect... ENJOY the SC-4.
[snapback]261868[/snapback]​
[/quote]

AMEN

1 - 20 of 23 Posts