Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just dyno'd my rear shocks and I see a few things that could be causing problems. Anyone feel like the sled gets stiffer if you hit a bunch of bumps in a row close together? Is the first impact ok and then then each bump feel harder and harder? anyone feel like the rear end rebounds to slow? Anyone having problems with the center shock bottoming out? The dyno showed me that the clicker does next to nothing for low speed and the highspeed clicker does make a small amount of difference at speeds above 5'' second. The sc-4 shocks have alot more rebound in them(stiffer to extend) when compared to the sc-3. This will make the sled ride stiffer or more harsh and could be the problem. Also the front arm is valved super soft on compression.

·
Registered
535 Posts
tried my sc-4 like i got it from the dealer found that on big bumps it would easily bottom and on small chop and bumps that it was stiff so i increased hi speed compression a couple clicks and let out the low speed compression a few clicks increased the front shock preload and it made a huge difference it only bottoms 1 or two times in a day now and the chop is smoothed out it still could use some fine tuning but when that is done it will rock very much like this suspension rides alot like my m-10 im coming off of

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think the rebound on the back shock is to slow also . The SC-3 rebounds alot faster than my SC-4 . I switched from F-7 Cat and I am having problems getting used to handling of the REV . I hear people talk about putting new skies on but I am getting sick of spending money on sled . You spend over $9000 for a sled you shouldn't have to buy new skies , have shocks revalved to get machine to work right .

·
Registered
186 Posts
I love how mine feels in a series of bumps. Munising trail 8 on Saturday afternoon - 10 miles of 12+" chop and I can sail thru it at 80 mph. I'm 175 lbs, rear springs on lowest setting. I don't think my shock is packing.

I found the same as you on the dyno, low speed adj does little, high comes in to play at 8 in/sec on up, but it comes in hard. Can you post your dyno sheets? My rear shock plot is in my gallery - I'd like to see how they compare. Rebound is way less than my Cat shocks - but you probably can't compare them.

·
Registered
345 Posts
peterk said:
I love how mine feels in a series of bumps. Munising trail 8 on Saturday afternoon - 10 miles of 12+" chop and I can sail thru it at 80 mph. I'm 175 lbs, rear springs on lowest setting. I don't think my shock is packing.

I found the same as you on the dyno, low speed adj does little, high comes in to play at 8 in/sec on up, but it comes in hard. Can you post your dyno sheets? My rear shock plot is in my gallery - I'd like to see how they compare. Rebound is way less than my Cat shocks - but you probably can't compare them.
[snapback]261374[/snapback]​
Love my SC4, and I find that the hookup is way better than the SC3. We raced repeatedly on the railway tracks this weekend (we all have 600's) and my SC4 consistently got the better hookup and holeshot over last year's models.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Love the transfer and the hook up. Not having a problem bottoming at all and it does work fantastic at high speeds. The STEERING EFFORT and the slow to medium rollers, stutters and washboard is awful compared to the SC-III. I've gone back and forth alot and there's no comparison. My feel is that it needs more rear spring, less compression dampening and slower rebound. I do not have any dyno info but it feels like that's what causes the kick back. The pivot arm that links the rear to the front shock makes things a little funky to picture what's goin on down there. Maybe the rebound is too slow and you are hitting the second, third ... bumps half compressed already.

I hope Hygear or anyone comes up with a combination to smooth things out but I want a smooth ride for our big Northern Ontario and Quebec trails, not a snow crosser.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Tinker said:
I hope Hygear or anyone comes up with a combination to smooth things out but I want a smooth ride for our big Northern Ontario and Quebec trails, not a snow crosser.

[snapback]261637[/snapback]​
Its an X - I'm glad they built it for the bumps not wide open cruising.

I agree the steering efforts are high at low speed, and the low speed bumps are harsh, but these are a compromise for the best big bump handling I've ever had in a non-race sled.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Love my SC4, and I find that the hookup is way better than the SC3. We raced repeatedly on the railway tracks this weekend (we all have 600's) and my SC4 consistently got the better hookup and holeshot over last year's models.
[snapback]261512[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Maybe SC 4 is a through back to the Poo XTRA10... fast skid but it had alot of kic back... dont have one to comapre geometry.... but the XTRA 10 hooked up great and kiscked like a mule....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts