Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on another sled that has BRP's approval to try.

No drilling just moving existing mounts and 2 new extra idlers.

Attachments

·
found elsewhere
11,916 Posts
but will it help left side rear slider wear? cause mine wore by idler and in rear. 400 miles shot!

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
There are 2 sets of holes for each idler for the OE offset. All idlers are now aligned and close to the position of the SC-III with NO DRILLING

Remove inner idlers
Install new outer idlers in forward most holes using the existing inner supports an hardware.
Move the existing idlers to the front holes.
Move the inner idlers behind the shock to the same L/R holes , not offset.

I'm riding tomorrow, will post results

Attachments

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My sled and post is not backed by BRP. I just want to get my 1200 mile Quebec trip in w/out carrying and changer sliders along the way. Fixing this screw up would be good too.

Put on 200 + miles Sunday in harpack, icy base trails with lots of hard frozen bumps and they look perfect

There is a small vibration at the idlers now but until the added weight on the front of the skid frame is corrected, the front of the skid is gonna be trouble. Bill Cudney has posted that there is more than 150 lbs more on the front than the SC-III. Iv'e been saying it for 600 miles now that there is something wrong with the front arm geometry. It makes no sense that there is that much more weight on the front of the skid and more ski pressure. It has to be in some way geometrically challenged over the SC-III installation. The steering effort over the SC-III is ridiculous IMO.

On a positive side, the Powertek just keeps gettin faster with every ride and tweek. I've got the tach showing about 8200 RPM after going thru the clutches and it is just rippin. You've actually gotto be careful with the flipper in the trails

I do my best work after a few beers Ditch... I got kids to prove it

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do you have any pics of the finshed installation? Do you actually remove the front inner idlers or relocate them. It's hard to see on your pics because it's so dark. I need to do something, I just wore out my second set with 600 miles on the sled. Thanks!!!! Marv Z

·
Registered
43 Posts
2004800ho said:
Do you have any pics of the finshed installation? Do you actually remove the front inner idlers or relocate them. It's hard to see on your pics because it's so dark. I need to do something, I just wore out my second set with 600 miles on the sled. Thanks!!!! Marv Z

[snapback]281058[/snapback]​
Wondering same thing. Did you remove front inside Idlers altogether? Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
162 Posts
elmerfudd2 said:
i just moved the inside front to the out side then evenly spaced them no need to by xtra wheels
[snapback]282074[/snapback]​
i may be wrong but aren't the inside and outside wheels a different diameter?

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I removed the inside idlers.
I used the hardware to mount the new idlers in the front most holes that used to hold the inside idlers.
I aligned the rear set so they are in the front holes
The idlers are now 1 inch further forward than the SC-III and could be moved back one hole each if wear appears behind the roller, but I don't think it will.
The inside black and outside yellow idlers are the same diameter.

This is real simple when you take off the inner idlers and only took abut 10 minutes. Slider wear is perfect after a closer look tonite.

Here's a pic of the inside of the rail of the front idler.

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
Tinker,

Keep us updated on your slider wear fix. I know I am very interested. I was planning on buying an 06 REV but 500 mile slider replacement intervals is a deal breaker for me and I'll be buying a different brand unless I am confident that I can get at least one season (approx. 2000 miles) out of a set of sliders.

My 03 REV sliders are still going strong at 5000 miles and counting. They will probably not need changing even after this their 3rd season.

Thanks for sharing your expertise.

·
RAIN IS NOT AN OPTION!
687 Posts
klj said:
Tinker,

Keep us updated on your slider wear fix. I know I am very interested. I was planning on buying an 06 REV but 500 mile slider replacement intervals is a deal breaker for me and I'll be buying a different brand unless I am confident that I can get at least one season (approx. 2000 miles) out of a set of sliders.

My 03 REV sliders are still going strong at 5000 miles and counting. They will probably not need changing even after this their 3rd season.

Thanks for sharing your expertise.

[snapback]284446[/snapback]​
I too am very interested. I wonder why Ski Doo has not addressed this? Are there any draw backs to moving the wheels all to the outside?

What types of snow were you running to see premature wear. I am running in 12" and have not seen anything out of the ordinary yet but have 100miles on the sled. I do have to ride a road or bidge from time to time so I am really interested in this.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just had the 10 hour inspection done on my '05 800X.256 miles and the sliders were 80% wore thru this is totaly ridiculous.I would like to know how well the extra idler wheels are working?I don't mind spending the money for this upgrade as long as it works.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not riding again 'til next week, 1200 mile 5 day'r in QC

200 miles last Sunday in hard pack, icy base, fairly thin trails and they are perfect.

You could do this for free if you wanted. Just put the complete black inside idlers on the outside. The OD is the same and there is no offset I think, 20 minutes max.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My sliders were shot in 317 Kms. I picked up a set of Kimpex sliders for the C-7 at Royal Distributing for $30. I have about 350 Kms on these and they are showing zero wear. Alot of the kms on the C-7 sliders are road riding without much lube also. I am thinking that maybe Doo had a bad batch of sliders because so far these cheapies are holding up quite well. One other thing I did was loosen the track quite a bit. It was way too tight from the factory.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts