Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Expedition SWT Turbo
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you Labrador guys have any recent, first hand experience with what sat phone is likley to work best.

Planning a trip late Feb/ early March and will be renting a phone.

I have read that in the past Iridium had better service, but that Globalstar has or is updating their constellation. Is that complete and functional? Cost has no bearing on my selection.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I find Iridium has better/quicker sat service, I get signal in my house near a window. Globalstar, I find has better clarity. Its more like talking on a cell phone Iridum has a little delay. Globalstar is way better than it has been in the past, but I still prefer Irdium.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I find Iridium has better/quicker sat service, I get signal in my house near a window. Globalstar, I find has better clarity. Its more like talking on a cell phone Iridum has a little delay. Globalstar is way better than it has been in the past, but I still prefer Irdium.
I absolutely agree and switched to Iridium a couple of years ago. I'm now using the Iridium Extreme which tends to drop calls more often than the older Iridium (forget the model), but it is pretty dependable, small and tough. Satellite texting is the way to go now. I'm currently tracking and texting with a couple of my guys on Lake Melville and part way up TLH III using the Delorme In Reach SE. I have instant communications with them even while they are on the move (Ram Mount on the handlebars). I don't think anyone rents them but if you were to ever buy something for yourself, that would be my reccomendation.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Iridium hands down for being there when you need it.

Not sure if it's the same now as is was with Globlstar but it used to be you could get a printout from their website to see the hours when your area would have coverage. Not exactly the greatest if you are out on the trail in trouble at 12 o'clock and have no coverage until 12:30. I do believe things have gotten better but still not the best.

We have no cell coverage in my neck of the woods so lots of people have sat phones and I would say 95% are Iridium. It's there when you need it.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Left my Delorme SE in the truck one night and the battery is fubared. Iridium sat phone has worked for my use in NL
I'll have to keep an eye on that. I imagine the battery must have been very low when you left it there. We (work) are in the process of testing the Delormes as we currently use SPOT. My reccomendation is hands down - Delorme, but I don't like the internal battery. So far that's my only gripe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A friend of mine has a global star and we use it quite a bit. There are times that we couldn't get a signal. It also seems to drop ALOT of calls after about 1 min of use. I have always used iridium, they always get signal even able to use it in the cabin. That being said global star is $600, with package options as low as unlimited airtime for $40. I just purchased a new 9575 iridium, and it cost me $1300, plus it's $57 per month with a $1.75 an min for airtime. In my opinion iridium is the way to go after using both.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
I find when i'm out with a crowd the fellows with the iridiums are always haggling me to use my globalstar, that's because i'm on a yearly plan, $369 unlimited air time, I agree with everyone else though the iridium has better service but you pay for it, having sad that globalstar is much much better then last year.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I like the Iridium and have used it at work but now a little steep in cost for me to chew off as a pensioner..... instead I went with a 'Spot' unit (there's a $25 rebate on now until Feb 28th) for a yearly rental of $113 which includes insurance to cover the cost of two $50,000 extractions per year (hope I never need to use them).

There are 4 buttons that you can push on the Spot unit which contain messages (that you set up initially when you register the unit on line).

My messages are:

OK button: I am at this location and I am OK.

Message button (looks like a cartoon text balloon): I am at this location and I will be late, no worry!

Help button (hand to hand button): I am at this location and need help getting out of here!

Red Emergency button: This sends a message to Texas Control Center to begin your extraction cause you have a broken back and can't move or are having a heart attack.

Your messages can be sent to up to 10 emails. My kids have their emails come to their smart phones and the message they get within 3 minutes of me sending a spot message contains a link to a google map with my message and location pin pointed.

Just heard on the local radio 5 minutes ago that a family (with young kids) spent 3 nights in the bush in these wicked cold temps after their snow machine broke down. One of these spot units could have got them help a lot sooner..... just say'n. I always carry mine on my person on an inside zipped chest pocket instead of leaving it on the machine in case it goes to the bottom of the lake without me. :blush_old: CS.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
No doubt SPOT is a cheap life saving device!

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have 2 SPOT sat phones coming to test. Anyone have any experience with them yet (Labrador or LNS??). I continue to like the Delorme SE over the SPOT, mostly because I can text and track several units from one map. That said, I don't move anywhere without all 3 (Delorme, SPOT and Iridium all in pockets) but then again I'm not paying the bill. If it were out of my pocket I'd probably go with the Delorme simply because I don't have a smart phone capable of pairing with a SPOT connect. An I-phone paired to a Delorme is the real cats meow but even on it's own it's pretty handy.

Back to your original question...you know what opinions are like...we all have them!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
The orange Spot unit above "doesn't" need a smart phone to work..... I like the kiss rule when it comes to safety..... (only need one thing to work, not two when your laying there with a heart attack or broken back..... just say'n). Spot works on replaceable lithium ion batteries. I wouldn't rely on it if it had rechargeable like in a smart phone. CS. :smile_old:

·
Registered
488 Posts
I like the Iridium and have used it at work but now a little steep in cost for me to chew off as a pensioner..... instead I went with a 'Spot' unit (there's a $25 rebate on now until Feb 28th) for a yearly rental of $113 which includes insurance to cover the cost of two $50,000 extractions per year (hope I never need to use them).

There are 4 buttons that you can push on the Spot unit which contain messages (that you set up initially when you register the unit on line).

My messages are:

OK button: I am at this location and I am OK.

Message button (looks like a cartoon text balloon): I am at this location and I will be late, no worry!

Help button (hand to hand button): I am at this location and need help getting out of here!

Red Emergency button: This sends a message to Texas Control Center to begin your extraction cause you have a broken back and can't move or are having a heart attack.

Your messages can be sent to up to 10 emails. My kids have their emails come to their smart phones and the message they get within 3 minutes of me sending a spot message contains a link to a google map with my message and location pin pointed.

Just heard on the local radio 5 minutes ago that a family (with young kids) spent 3 nights in the bush in these wicked cold temps after their snow machine broke down. One of these spot units could have got them help a lot sooner..... just say'n. I always carry mine on my person on an inside zipped chest pocket instead of leaving it on the machine in case it goes to the bottom of the lake without me. :blush_old: CS.
The thread is about satphones, not Spot trackers. Most of us are more than familiar with how Spots work, and in some cases, don't work :(

·
Registered
358 Posts
The thread is about satphones, not Spot trackers. Most of us are more than familiar with how Spots work, and in some cases, don't work :(
With your last "kind" comment I couldn't help but wonder who "Most of us" refers to?? Most of us would probably look at the information I provided as a cost alternative to a sat phone for those of us (Most of us) who may want one but couldn't possibly afford one and have no other means of getting help when needed. A lot of these new technologies are puzzling to many (Most of us) and I hope my explanation of the workings of a spot would make it a less formidable one. If I helped even one person, then the explanation was worth the effort I put into it. :wink_old:

·
Registered
706 Posts
I thought the Spot post was really appropriate & helpful, frankly. I live in Colorado - bustling metropolis compared to people in various Territories and way up north yonder - I've not NEEDED to read about satphones and spot devices.

So, yeah, may be old hat for those well past Spots, but cool info, thanks!

Iain

1 - 20 of 31 Posts