Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

· Registered
591 Posts
I can't stress enough!
Keep your hands on the bars.
I don't care how many sleds are in your group!!
Worthless...you have no idea if there are more sleds behind you from another group.
Keep your hands on the bars..especially at night when it makes you look more stuiped!
I can’t stress enough how much I don’t care how many groups are behind my group. I also can’t stress enough how I will always signal how many are in my group no matter how much it bothers you or anyone else. Just because you don’t seem to care about the riders in your group, doesn’t mean I don’t. I’ll probably start signaling at night now too, just cause I now know it pisses you off.

· Registered
2023 MXZ XRS & 2015 GSX 900Ace
1,550 Posts
Agree with the op. The signaling thing worked ok when sleds would only go 45mph, but now days, there is way too much speed to do this. At 75mph you’re covering a 100 yards every 2.5 seconds or so….. who cares how many people are behind you, if your riding right, there should be no issue if there are 0 or 20. Too often you see someone trying to flash fingers up as they are about out of control headed for the weeds. If you really want to do something get a ridelite.
Not to mention, if I have my muffs on my sled, I’m not trying to fumble my hand out to give a signal, it’s cold out there and my hand is warm on the bars….
May not be everyone’s forte, but I think it makes much more sense to keep both hands on the bars and ride right!!!!
Rather than teaching new riders to signal, focus on ensuring they ride with one ski close to the weeds.

· Registered
10 Posts
I can’t stress enough how much I don’t care how many groups are behind my group. I also can’t stress enough how I will always signal how many are in my group no matter how much it bothers you or anyone else. Just because you don’t seem to care about the riders in your group, doesn’t mean I don’t. I’ll probably start signaling at night now too, just cause I now know it pisses you off.
Next time I see you on the road I’ll make sure to take my hands off the steering wheel and swerve into your lane… but it’s all in good intentions I’m just texting you to let you know cars behind me RIGHT?!

· Registered
4,542 Posts
I try to signal and then put my hand back on the bars before the oncoming sled reaches me (I can control my sled one-handed but I never trust the other guy). Which is also why I slow down if I see traffic approaching. Most give hand signals... it used to annoy me but if I'm being honest, I probably do ride more cautiously if I know for sure there's someone around the corner.

I'm still annoyed though if there's a group of 5, and I can see them all, and they all give signals. There's no reason for that many signals in plain sight.

· Super Moderator
32,238 Posts
Every year this comes up, every year there is a big discussion. Some are for it, some are against it - we all can't agree - shocker.

My take, if I can SAFELY note no one is with me I sometimes do.

If it's even a little bit tight, twisty, bumpy, etc not a chance am I taking my hand off the bar.

I am finding lately it does seem for more and more people it's just not possible to both signal and stay in control. That, or they note they're the last in line while having no clue there is a line of 10 sleds behind them.

In those cases, keep your hands on the bars, please. I can be responsible for me and see what's coming.

Now, if you guys want to keep discussing this keep it civil and respectful. Also keep in mind others may actually have a different opinion than yours.

If we can do this great. If not we'll close it up.

You guys decide.

· Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1970s snowmobile safety classes.. written by non snowmobilers.Top speeds 45mph.
Because people are sheepole they can't figure out on their own it simply dangerous!
My shop specializes in snowmobile collision work and repair....countless story on how someone lost control while trying to signal. Stay in your lane and don't exceed your riding level! Simple.

· Registered
6,121 Posts
If everybody is in control and on their side of the trail like they should be, there is no purpose in my opinion. Not sure who ever thought this was a good idea anyway. Thats my opinion.

Obviously a lot of people are for it and I respect their opinions as well. Everybody just keep it under control and think about others. As I mentioned in another post, snowmobiling should be a family friendly hobby, not a personal racetrack. Think that there are kids out there.

· Premium Member
2019 Expedition Sport 900ace
136 Posts
I’d close it up Mod.

It went sideways with the very first paragraph. We got 4 exclamation points, negative statements like worthless, I don’t care, and calling riders stupid . Seems to be some anger there, most likely from a bad experience with a oncoming sledder holding up one finger to the OP. 👍

I concour with you on doing it safely if you can.

Now if you will excuse me, I’m thinking of starting a new thread on carrying a firearm while sledding, with a hint of 2 stroke vs 4 stroke…..

· Registered
346 Posts
I just took our states snowmobile safety course with my daughter and believe they taught the use of hand signals perfectly. Slow as approaching incoming sled. I would hope we can all agree with this step. Signal if comfortable and safe doing so. Seems good to me. I would say the vast majority of riders I come across signal. That same majority ride well within their safety limits as well. I’m no Ricky racer but even though I normally signal (those are my family behind me and I take my responsibility to protect mine seriously (even if this is somewhat silly)) there have been numerous times where I decided to not signal and use both hands to navigate. I also ride two up with my daughter most of the time and am so far within my abilities that I could ride one handed without issue. Doo what makes you happy, I’ll doo the same and if we are both safe that’s all that really matters.

· Super Moderator
6,695 Posts
The big one is for guys to stay on their own side of the dang trail..... not leave two or three feet between their right ski and the edge of the trail. And just because you are riding in the middle of the week, don't think you'll be the only one out and can ride down the middle of the trail.

Always..... always... always assume there will be another sled coming around a curve... or on the other side of a blind hill. And don't think you can run as fast and hard around those curve and blind hills as you want to "because my sled handles like it's on rails and I'm always in control". That's BS..... on snow and ice you can never be in complete control.

· Premium Member
2022 Expy 600R SE 2023 Expy 850 SE (Waiting)
5,051 Posts
Agreed. No need to judge what others choose to do on this issue. Staying well right is required. Signalling is a personal choice.
Hand signal personal choice but staying on your side of the trail that is NOT a personal choice. Almost got smoked first time out this year. I had a blind hard right and you can imagine where the oncoming other person was. Enough said>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

· Registered
623 Posts
This, the signals are a safety thing for everyone, the trails aren't that wide and people like to have fun, coming around a corner it's nice to know from on coming riders how many people are coming. So you can keep it slow and off to the right of the trail.

It's also good for those in front to signal a true or stop to the riders behind.

I'm still signaling.

· Registered
623 Posts
1970s snowmobile safety classes.. written by non snowmobilers.Top speeds 45mph.
Because people are sheepole they can't figure out on their own it simply dangerous!
My shop specializes in snowmobile collision work and repair....countless story on how someone lost control while trying to signal. Stay in your lane and don't exceed your riding level! Simple.
the problem is when you signal when you're not in control, in a turn or on rough terrain, thats why its important to me that the lead knows theres people and signals that there is that way the on coming riders know how many to expect even if the in between aren't able to signal because they're in the middle of a curve. alot of trails are in the bush and have blind corner, its nice to know when you have on coming riders. its safer for everyone

1 - 20 of 119 Posts