Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up a near mint 86 Safari 377. Needs very little aside from what you'd expect on an all original 30 year old sled. Namely a few rubber components, hood straps, idler wheels, carb boots, and a good detailing. To make a long story short, the original owner bought it new to leave at his ice fishing camp and it never went any farther than the lake. He figures only a few hundred miles total over its whole life, at the most! Then he finally sold it to a local guy that never touched it, just moved it on to the next guy, whom I bought it from. He replaced the fuel pump, fuel lines, and vent tubes but didn't touch much else. All I have to do to get it ready for this winter is clean and adjust the carb, and button up a few things. Not bad for a $500 sled with no plastic damage. Anyways My question is, this is a base model with no gauges. However the hood seems to be prewired for them with a pair of connectors hung by the cluster. Is this the case and can I just buy a set of gauges for it and plug them right in? I would at least like to have a speedometer.

·
Registered
335 Posts
They are prewired. Seems like a do all harness. Will need a speedo cable as well

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I don't know this model, but I've seen some skidoos of that era that have a fitting on the end of the driveshaft in the bearing housing (or chain case also) for a flex cable to attach for a mechanical speedo / odo.

If this is the case for yours you should be able to get these parts from a wrecker.

·
Registered
851 Posts
If I remember correctly the speedo cable is driven off the opposite end of the track drive shaft from the chain case. My best friend in high school had one of these brand new. I still have my 80 Everest 500 that I rode with him back then. My dad bought that sled new in December of 79. We helped the dealer assemble it out of the crate. What memories. It's sitting in my barn right now. Will be restored soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
You will need an Angle Drive also. Angle Drive, Cable, Speedo and Drive Key. It should have the plastic insert already in the drive shaft. It will plug in for the Back Lighting. The Tach is Prewired, Plug and Play. Balance of the wires are for High Beam and Low Oil. The bearing Cup is Threaded.

There are 2 or 3 different Angle Drive ratios, If I recall a Safari is 1.5 Ratio

1 - 6 of 6 Posts