Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came back from my trip this weekend, and has a chance to check temos.

I just thought you all would like to know this, and the exact temps. We all knew the thing is running cold, but this is ridiculous...

Anyways, I have a Hot Tach Pro data recorder running on my Mach, installed with brand new thermocouples for the EGT and water temps. Would you believe the thing is running 70-90 degrees (F)! Most of the time, it was between 73-78 degrees, and this was on a 35 degree day.

This thing needs a thermostat.

By the way, EGT's only raised about 30 degrees with the BR8ECS instead of the BR9ECS plugs, and never got above 1270 degrees under any circumstances.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
While at Club BRP in Acapulco this week, I took a moment to find an engineer (not a sales rep, or a service rep) to explain to me so I could pass this on to all the doo talk world: why are we running the 995 so cold? The answer was one I had forgotton about.

The engine is running this cold (70 to 90 degrees) during normal trail running in order to induce the densest (is that a word?) possible fuel air mixture into the cylinder. This I found on the dyno during many previous dyno tests that will show a higher torque figure during a "cold shot" test where the engine is nearly iced down then make a quick pull to get a few extra HP out of it versus a heat soaked engine making nearly 60 degrees hotter engine temps.

They are going to look at the fuel mapping, sensor readings and how the water sensor is affecting part throttle and low throttle settings and fine tune the injector pulse width to futhur increase mileage, range, throttle response and power. The motor will continue to run in this cold (halfway up to quart er mark on the temp gauge) setting in order to make the best power. So install the thermostat and your buds Mach may just be driving by you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,644 Posts
dooit2it,
I for one appreciate the info you are sharing with us! It is nice to hear information right from the horses (dealers) mouth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
Jiddru said:
I came back from my trip this weekend, and has a chance to check temos.

I just thought you all would like to know this, and the exact temps. We all knew the thing is running cold, but this is ridiculous...

Anyways, I have a Hot Tach Pro data recorder running on my Mach, installed with brand new thermocouples for the EGT and water temps. Would you believe the thing is running 70-90 degrees (F)! Most of the time, it was between 73-78 degrees, and this was on a 35 degree day.

This thing needs a thermostat.

By the way, EGT's only raised about 30 degrees with the BR8ECS instead of the BR9ECS plugs, and never got above 1270 degrees under any circumstances.
[snapback]317429[/snapback]​
Your best bet is to run a resistor,cool motor lean maping good combo,run a serch you will find threads on this topic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
dooit2it said:
While at Club BRP in Acapulco this week, I took a moment to find an engineer (not a sales rep, or a service rep) to explain to me so I could pass this on to all the doo talk world: why are we running the 995 so cold? The answer was one I had forgotton about.

The engine is running this cold (70 to 90 degrees) during normal trail running in order to induce the densest (is that a word?) possible fuel air mixture into the cylinder. This I found on the dyno during many previous dyno tests that will show a higher torque figure during a "cold shot" test where the engine is nearly iced down then make a quick pull to get a few extra HP out of it versus a heat soaked engine making nearly 60 degrees hotter engine temps.

They are going to look at the fuel mapping, sensor readings and how the water sensor is affecting part throttle and low throttle settings and fine tune the injector pulse width to futhur increase mileage, range, throttle response and power. The motor will continue to run in this cold (halfway up to quart er mark on the temp gauge) setting in order to make the best power. So install the thermostat and your buds Mach may just be driving by you.
[snapback]317925[/snapback]​
Just returned from a trip and I often experienced a loss of power/RPM when pinned open for a while. The RPM would charge up to 7900 or so and then sometimes....but not always....drop down to about 7100. I thought it might be from detonation caused by the hotter BR8ECS plugs I was running so I installed the BR9ECS plugs and I saw the same thing from them. The outside air temps were 0-10 f with a lot of snow. My temp gauge was about 1/8 up the scale. could this be attributed to the temp sensor indicating too low a temp and the ECM going into warm up mode? I was thinking of installing a thermostat but after reading this info I am hoping that new mapping will solve this.

Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,871 Posts
Crank Shop has a thermostat kit that resolves this issue, temp is still low enough for the cool engine performance but it stableizes the temp so all is running consistant and does not go into the cold mode add a bunch of fuel and have a loss in power.

MZ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
MZ1100 said:
Crank Shop has a thermostat kit that resolves this issue, temp is still low enough for the cool engine performance but it stableizes the temp so all is running consistant and does not go into the cold mode add a bunch of fuel and have a loss in power.

MZ
[snapback]319541[/snapback]​
My summit would loose rpm on the trail when held wide open yesterday, froom 7800 down to 7100 and once to 6500. Could a glazed belt do this? I thought it was the sensor. Today it ran fine except for not good top end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Sounds like you got to much pin weight in your clutches. What clicker are you set on and do you have a clutch kit installed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,928 Posts
this might sound odd but I had the dealer set the timing to 2.5 on the cpu. it made the temp guage come up to between the 1/4 and 1/2 mark all day. but I think it ran better when it was cold..........I am switching it back
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,591 Posts
The confusing part of all of this to me is that last year I had a 800 big bore kit on my F6. We took it to Dynotech to dyno it as I was having a lot of trouble keeping it alive on the trails. Anyways we decide to do a few tests with water temps. When the motor was doing cold pulls it made the best power. Explained to me as while the engine is cold it adds a lot of timing to it until up to hotter temps and it pulls it back . It actually lost 8 hp while doing a hot pull. So we rigged up a transitor type thingy and had it fool the computer that even though it was a hot pull the computer thought it was running cold and voila power back. It has been said on here that hotter temps give more power and that is where I am at a loss as it was the exact opposite on the Cat.???????????????????????????????

Spike
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top