Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local roads in Muskoka used to be plowed & sanded but for the most part stayed snow-covered or partially covered most of the winter (outside of the crazy melt-downs & rain that we can get). So running the shoulders was always pretty easy.

The last few years, they've been salting the roads now too. So sometimes 24 hours after a nice snowfall, the roads are bare/wet and the shoulders are down to dirt, even last year with that real winter and prolonged cold that we had.

Anyone else seeing this? Are Townships so afraid of being sued now that they're salting the heck out of everything - even secondary roads?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Our township uses sand only (Wollaston) but surrounding uses salt & sand.

Sand seems to work or we r just better drivers

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
today for example around kitchener , they scrape the snow down to the ice covered asphalt then salt it . it begins to melt then the -22 wc/sun sets and freezes it into an even slicker surface . I am with you Ira , leave the snow on sand it and you have much more traction through all conditions. not to mention keep all the salt out of the rivers and killing roadside trees . I am still at the office , but my estimator called me on her way home , within 10 mins of leaving the office she counted 9 vehicles in the ditch .

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
North Kawartha has gotten pretty bad with the salt & sand too. Did used to be that way.

The citiots all drive SUVs w/ the latest techonolgy, you'd @ least think they could drive on snow. Amazing that 30 or 40 years ago most folks could make their way around in RWD cars w/ only a pair of snow tires.

·
Registered
612 Posts
30 or 40 yrs ago there were ppl that could actually drive. Most of the "city-ots" these days have not really experienced winter driving. So it's only natural to see a handful that have yard-sailed in the rhubarb when it gets greasy out. Okay I'll stop now

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
leave the snow on sand it and you have much more traction through all conditions. not to mention keep all the salt out of the rivers and killing roadside trees
Right on! My local OFSC trail has been closed for the last few years and if the lakes aren't safe to run I have to do 10 km of road running to get to the nearest trail. It has become brutal unless I ride while it's actually still snowing!

The citiots all drive SUVs w/ the latest techonolgy, you'd @ least think they could drive on snow. Amazing that 30 or 40 years ago most folks could make their way around in RWD cars w/ only a pair of snow tires.
Right on again!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am really contemplating putting one of those ugly set of ski wheels on my sled to solve this issue.
Does anyone have experience using the wheels? I've been thinking about it, as I have 2-3KM of road running to do before I hit the trails, and I'm squinting the entire way while I hear my carbides scrape against the pavement the entire way....

·
Registered
600 Posts
I used the Rooskie wheels...worked great. Just make sure you pack some snow on the back where your heat exchange is if you're going that far. You might have to stop a coupla times to repack it or she'll overheat on you (unless you have a 4-stroke with a rad kit).

·
Registered
19 Posts
There not pretty but the work great. 1km max from the house to gas station, then to the trail if the snow is low on the roads.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:1210401]

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
You would think w/ the increased concern for the environment, municipalities would be decreasing the use of salt. Look @ the pine trees along the 400 south of the Craighurst turnoff. I doun't think there's a straight 1 in the stand.

I know in the spring the ditch beside our woodlot gate is encrusted w/ salt.

·
Registered
862 Posts
You would think w/ the increased concern for the environment, municipalities would be decreasing the use of salt. Look @ the pine trees along the 400 south of the Craighurst turnoff. I doun't think there's a straight 1 in the stand.

I know in the spring the ditch beside our woodlot gate is encrusted w/ salt.
Their increased concern of getting sued for doing everything within their power to clear the roads outweighs their concern for the environment.

Until someone has a cheaper green solution, we're SOL.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Their increased concern of getting sued for doing everything within their power to clear the roads outweighs their concern for the environment.

Until someone has a cheaper green solution, we're SOL.
Even the sidewalks and parking lots around the city are unbelievably loaded with salt for the same reason. Never used to be like that. My truck is incredibly crusted with salt even though we've barely had any snow around here. It's no wonder my truck had a factory recall for frames rotting prematurely.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
citiots driving AWD on no season tires. Snow tires? They wouldn't be upsidedown in the ditch, think about all the money they have saved on tires.

I'm sure with the milder winter, municipalities are scrambling to spend their budget, so they can get it renewed for 2017 season.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Even the sidewalks and parking lots around the city are unbelievably loaded with salt for the same reason. Never used to be like that. My truck is incredibly crusted with salt even though we've barely had any snow around here. It's no wonder my truck had a factory recall for frames rotting prematurely.
When the MTO maintaineed 620 thru Apsley the "side of the street" was left snow covered. Now it's a county road. Even w/ half an inch of snow it is salted & sanded.

Each spring I rake out about 4 loads (UTV box size) of sand from the edge of our lawn.

·
Registered
692 Posts
We have trails on some road sides and they seem to like to dump all the sand from the shoulder onto the trail to make sure the shoulder is bare. They are winging the shoulder back to the point that it is actually dangerous for the citiots who think that the shoulder is actually that wide and end up sinking in the snow at the edge of the plowed shoulder because the edge of the wing is almost the middle of the ditch!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
My plow guy is going for some award he finished cleaning off the nice three to four foot ice patch where I could run the road yesterday

1 - 19 of 19 Posts