Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Well, gonna give Hurley a try this weekend. I am going to Mi in another week and will be buying a trail pass for my sled. My question is this weekend I will have my son and wife along and hate to drop $90 just to run into Ironwood Mi for lunch or dinner. I have heard that the Po - Po will not bother you if you are close the the state line, but would like to confirm this. Or, is it a crap shoot? I understand if we are riding across Gogebic it would be hard to say we were not avoiding the cost. I don't want to get tickets for two sleds not stickered, but Ironwood looks to have good restaurants.

Thanks for any opinions on the trail pass question and also opinions on restaurants in the area.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
It doesn't cost that much for a Michigan trail sticker, does it?? I bought mine at a Bass Pro Shop here in Ohio for much less.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'll be in Hurley this weekend too!!
We have had the same thought, want to stay in Hurley but ride in mi. For eating we just park the sleds and drive the truck over. The time we rode mi we trailered them across the line. It was a PITA but cheaper then buying passes for two states.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
If you're staying overnight in Hurley, maybe get a copy of your room reservation to carry with you. If you do get stopped, the officer might be more lenient if you have proof that you are staying in Hurley but just riding into Michigan for a bite. Worth a shot.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would bet it's going to depend on the Officer that would stop you, and you most likely would be stopped [if they see you] because they look for trail stickers first.

It would seem that this issue could go both ways - if a Michigan rider was just over the line in Wisconsin, I would hope a little discretion would apply.

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
you answered your own question, 'it's a crap shoot'. how lucky you feel? on the other hand, if you aren't riding trails, you don't need a trail pass

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It doesn't cost that much for a Michigan trail sticker, does it?? I bought mine at a Bass Pro Shop here in Ohio for much less.
Mi trail pass is $45 per sled. I hate plunk down $90 for a few miles or less. I would have no problem if we were going to use the trails a lot.

I would bet it's going to depend on the Officer that would stop you, and you most likely would be stopped [if they see you] because they look for trail stickers first.

It would seem that this issue could go both ways - if a Michigan rider was just over the line in Wisconsin, I would hope a little discretion would apply.
I would hope so as well. However, I imagine that the ticket cost is pretty steep to make it hurt way more than paying the trail pass up front. Last year we rode from the Wi side of Iron Mountain Mi to a bar in WI. But, we had to slip up and into the UP briefly to come back down to the bar we wanted to get to so we could watch the playoff game. Even though some locals said it was no big deal to run slightly thru the UP, I was sweating it the whole time.

·
Snow Patrol
4,872 Posts
NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1994

324.82118 Michigan snowmobile trail permit.

A person who fails to secure a permit under this section or who violates subsection (4) is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be ordered to pay a civil fine of not more than $100.00.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I used to own a house in Ironwood and we almost always rode in Wisconsin and ate at the restaurants in Hurley. The trails always seemed to be in better shape and several good restaurants to pick from. We rarely rode in Michigan unless we were headed north to look for more snow.

Of course now days, we only ride backcountry and that takes us much farther into Michigan. We have trail permits for both states and rarely use the trails, but better than a ticket I guess.

In your situation I would get one for your sled and roll the dice.
My .02

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used to own a house in Ironwood and we almost always rode in Wisconsin and ate at the restaurants in Hurley. The trails always seemed to be in better shape and several good restaurants to pick from. We rarely rode in Michigan unless we were headed north to look for more snow.

Of course now days, we only ride backcountry and that takes us much farther into Michigan. We have trail permits for both states and rarely use the trails, but better than a ticket I guess.

In your situation I would get one for your sled and roll the dice.
My .02
Ok, thanks. Any tips on a good bloody mary and breakfast spot?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Didn't know that, Thought they had to be purchased in the state they were designated too, Thanks for the info.
I just bought mine last night, at a sled dealer in Illinois. Nice to have it before heading up.

I used to always buy it right when I crossed the line, a spot in New Buffalo. But have run in to issues a few times when their permit machines aren't working. I've run in to that in Wisconsin too. Sucks when you have a spot lined up ahead of time to by a pass but then end up running around for a few hours trying to get one.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey everyone. Well, gonna give Hurley a try this weekend. I am going to Mi in another week and will be buying a trail pass for my sled. My question is this weekend I will have my son and wife along and hate to drop $90 just to run into Ironwood Mi for lunch or dinner. I have heard that the Po - Po will not bother you if you are close the the state line, but would like to confirm this. Or, is it a crap shoot? I understand if we are riding across Gogebic it would be hard to say we were not avoiding the cost. I don't want to get tickets for two sleds not stickered, but Ironwood looks to have good restaurants.

Thanks for any opinions on the trail pass question and also opinions on restaurants in the area.
Where you staying?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
My understanding on trail permits. Unless you are on other then state owned property you must have a permit. Only out is to and from a ice fishing spot. Even just lake riding requires a permit.

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Why not buy a pass for your sled since you are going next week anyways. At least then the fine will only be $100 for the one sled that doesn't have a pass if you do get stopped.

I am going to Mi in another week and will be buying a trail pass for my sled.

·
Registered
18 Freeride 154 3”
388 Posts
I think what he is saying is that he will be buying a MI permit for his sled but will have 2 other sleds (wife & son) along for this weekend and didn't want to pay $90 for those 2 additional sleds.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts