Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking real seriously about picking up a stock 2005 rt100with a timbersled air intake. I,m aware of fuelpump/fuelmap/thermostat issues. Is this sled worth playing with. I rode it last december and it embarassed a handful of 09/10 xp. The power and price are very nice.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Love mine. If set up right they are nice.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
I am thinking real seriously about picking up a stock 2005 rt100with a timbersled air intake. I,m aware of fuelpump/fuelmap/thermostat issues. Is this sled worth playing with. I rode it last december and it embarassed a handful of 09/10 xp. The power and price are very nice.
I purchased my RT new in 05 and after some changes, today i love the sled. The biggest problem with the RT is weight, motor wise there is nothing to do to the RT. In basic stock form(motor) the 1000 can produce a solid 170+hp and even get into the 180-185hp with some good dailing. BRP left alot on the table with this motor and the nice thing is its a solid reliable power, unlike 800 on BB kits.

Like i said the biggest issue is weight, at 575lbs the RT is a PIG, but if you concentrate your mods to lightweighting the sled you will find this sled becomes a very different animal.
I stripped 65lbs out of my RT and she now tips the scale at 510lbs, at a cost of less then a doing a BB and build on an 800.
With 510lbs and 185hp, for a ratio of 2.76/1 with unmatched 1000 toque, i can out pull most ALL 800 any make any year in climbs.

As for handling the RT will match any 800 of equal stature(equal track length) with an experienced rider. The RT is not for anyone as it does require more skill and experience to make it perform to potential. NOT more STRENGTH or EFFORT, like the general sledding public belief.
An experience rider becomes ONE with the sled never fighting it but becoming one with it, using the power to manipulate instead of yanking and pulling and hanging over like a rider on a stuborn horse.
This is what i see amongst inexperienced sledders, even on lighter XP sleds. This is one reason the RTs were disliked by the majority and loved only by a few.

I you feel you got what it takes to ride the RT and your willing to deal with its issues such as the weight, you will love the RT. Put it on a major diet, get all your updates, dail it in and once properly setup you will be grinning ear to ear and you will have a very hard time ever again riding an 800.
I know for me an 800 just doesnt get my blood flowing anymore and hasn't in a long time, there is just nothing there. Hell my women rides an 800

Goodluck on your decission. But i can say this many have gone the RT rout and have returned to the 8s, what ever reason they give, i think they just weren't cut out for the task hehehe.........not MANLY enough

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Mine rocks, I was in the same boat. Looking at a bigger sled and the price of the 1000's are hard to pass up.

I did the pods, pump upgrade, T-stat mod, added a can, and removed the rear cooler. It has been a super sled for me. I'm now looking to take some more weight out and maybe upgrade the skid. Mine is not the X-package so the stock shocks are not up to the task of that heavy sled. I run a DJ's clutch kit in mine with good results however I plan to swap over to the 60 gram Brute force arms and larger rollers... other have gotten this figured out and seems to be the hot clutch setup to unleash the grunt these motors have.

Honestly the only times I notice the weight is when I'm stuck, or when I land hard but new shocks should help out with the landings. If it's still got the 05 skis on it, scrap them many like the pilots I had the chance to run pilots back to back with the powder pros and I went for the powder pros however the pilots worked well, the powder pros just allow you to run a less ski pressure and still not push when your poking through the trees, and that ( in my opinion ) helps it make it feel lighter since your not horsing on the bars all day.

You have to be willing to mess with them, if you are they can be a great sled.

Look you can even teach them to fly

Sky Snow Slope Vehicle Ice cap

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
I Love my RT also have done the fuel pump and t-stat upgrades as well as a DJ clutch kit. Side by side with a 800 there is no replacement for displacement the 1000 torque curve is hard to get to the ground but once you have rode one you will never go back. The extra weight for me is no big deal as the power will take you places you never thought you could go. I am also going to follow what lund, and tsunami have done and go to the brute force arms. There is tons of info on these machines and lots of help from the guys that have them dialed in, they have all helped with any questions that came along on mine. GO FOR IT your friends will be jealous of you out high marking them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm going to go ahead and pick it up and hopefully by the end of summer all have all the upgrades done and enough mods that it will pull like 809.

·
On the prowl for POW
1,254 Posts
Not 1 but 2 shots at the 800 BB's...I guess I wasn't manly enough for lund when I joined the Poo 900 crowd that continually killed us on our high $$$$$ 1000's. Lotsa shots I see.

I love these broad general recommendations of which sled someone should buy. I believe this is a very difficult thing to doo since it really depends on what kind of riding you have in your back yard. Many people ride in area's where an 800 N/A is all you need. In BC though, you can never have enough horsepower. I want 2 sleds in my stable, that's why I have the 900 dialed for the deep amd steep of BC and an 800 Dragon for the tight, sketchy, deep tree riding of Washington where a 40 mile ride can take 9-10 hours. In fact, I've learned this season that actually having less power has made me a better technical rider. Most anybody can hold the flipper to the bar and climb. I like to take the unreal route. Does this mean I'm not manly enough? Oh no, what am I going to doo.

Lund says you don't need strength and effort to ride the RT....yeah, as long as you never leave the trail.

The difference I noticed from riding an RT all day (I owned 2) to riding the much lighter 900 was that I didn't feel like crawling into bed as soon as I got to my destination after riding. People need to remember lunds 1000 has about $5,000 in extra suspension that takes a bunch of weight of the RT. You can't shed the kind of weight he did without spending alot of coin. This does make a big difference in how the 1000 behaves becuase the stock skid and suspension isn't worthy of a mountain sled. The RT is a value buy but wasn't a value getting it to where it is today.

Borrowed Poo 900, this was the day I decided to jump ship

Whistler 2010 New years....Not manly enough in the trees

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Hmm, I like my RT in the trees. I ride St hellens area down here in WA and I know what you mean by 9-10 hour 40 mile ride. I ride with a couple stock 800 rev's an 880 rev and a couple XP's. I have no trouble taking even the sickest lines with my sled.... no 5,000 suspension here. Would it help ... Yep it sure would.

I think this guy is the new generation of RT buyer, they are cheaper than dirt and people have the issues worked out on them. Now that being said the 900's are the same deal, I was between the 900 and my RT but it seems that the 900's still like to blow there crank a little too often for my taste. Now there are things you can do to help them out too but I just did not want to take that gamble.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have said this a ton on here and will say it again. Most sleds have some ind of issue. The Rt had a few problems but I think we have figured out how to make them work. I have fun all most sleds and it is a different ride on different sleds. I will agree with dave that you have to ride alittle smarter on the lower hp sleds. But I will dissagree with the soreness. It is a different sore for sure. I am a big guy and the Rt is not real hard to throw around but not as easy as an 800. Lunds sled iss just as easy to throw around with his suspension as an 800. But 800 you have to work to climb steep stuff and the Rt you just have to hang on. That said I like riding both but alwas with I had more power so I had the Rt. Wish I had the money for a turbo.

·
On the prowl for POW
1,254 Posts
Hmm, I like my RT in the trees. I ride St hellens area down here in WA and I know what you mean by 9-10 hour 40 mile ride. I ride with a couple stock 800 rev's an 880 rev and a couple XP's. I have no trouble taking even the sickest lines with my sled.... no 5,000 suspension here. Would it help ... Yep it sure would.

I think this guy is the new generation of RT buyer, they are cheaper than dirt and people have the issues worked out on them. Now that being said the 900's are the same deal, I was between the 900 and my RT but it seems that the 900's still like to blow there crank a little too often for my taste. Now there are things you can do to help them out too but I just did not want to take that gamble.
Yeah....the fix is to torque your clutch bolt to 96 ft. lbs. That was pretty easy.

I will say the RT is a dream for cornice drops.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Love my RT, Knock on wood, never had any issues, Only driver errors. If your get a decent price on a RT you can't go wrong. The torque thats there kills 800 with out a dout. They are heavy but you get use to them quickly. If you go back down to an 800 it feels like nothings there. Done all the up dates and more to my RT, like stated Love It!

To agree with what Lund basically said, only the weak go back to 8's........
eat 8's for lunch................

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Not 1 but 2 shots at the 800 BB's...I guess I wasn't manly enough for lund when I joined the Poo 900 crowd that continually killed us on our high $$$$$ 1000's. Lotsa shots I see.

I love these broad general recommendations of which sled someone should buy. I believe this is a very difficult thing to doo since it really depends on what kind of riding you have in your back yard. Many people ride in area's where an 800 N/A is all you need. In BC though, you can never have enough horsepower. I want 2 sleds in my stable, that's why I have the 900 dialed for the deep amd steep of BC and an 800 Dragon for the tight, sketchy, deep tree riding of Washington where a 40 mile ride can take 9-10 hours. In fact, I've learned this season that actually having less power has made me a better technical rider. Most anybody can hold the flipper to the bar and climb. I like to take the unreal route. Does this mean I'm not manly enough? Oh no, what am I going to doo.

Lund says you don't need strength and effort to ride the RT....yeah, as long as you never leave the trail.

The difference I noticed from riding an RT all day (I owned 2) to riding the much lighter 900 was that I didn't feel like crawling into bed as soon as I got to my destination after riding. People need to remember lunds 1000 has about $5,000 in extra suspension that takes a bunch of weight of the RT. You can't shed the kind of weight he did without spending alot of coin. This does make a big difference in how the 1000 behaves becuase the stock skid and suspension isn't worthy of a mountain sled. The RT is a value buy but wasn't a value getting it to where it is today.
I was reading Daves post and he is correct about the cost of building my RT, it has been in the area of 5k of extra mods. But then i know of many that have spent the same on their 8s, especialy motor mods and blown them up on a dozen or less rides.
thats because them BB kits are so awsome.
Hey Dave last time i checked the weight of a 900rmk 166, it was pretty darn close to the RT, like within 10lbs and depending on yr the same just about. 545-550lbs. Only the 05 RT were heavier but could be dropped in weight by 20lbs at almost 0$$ just a little work.

I ride with a friend that has an 06 900rmk and i must admit the sled goes, but he's an advance rider and makes it look good. BUT for his 900 to hold to my RT he also had to spend alot of $$$$, i assure you close to 5k.

Anyhow Davey your just a trail rider, maybe if you ate your wheaties you wouldn't be so tired and have to go to bed after a ride.
When your ready to manup
i might let you ride my RT but on a trail only though:lol:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I will never sell my RT, Skidoo still cant make a sled that is that good!The sled can make alot of headscratchers wonder what is going on.I think they are stuck in 2005!!Be aware of the Poachers that claim big!!

Toostroke

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank again guys for all the feedback. Sleds allready in the garage and been working on it. it's got best plan warranty coverage through 2012 so I'll have to leave the powerplant pretty stock. I have started removing unneccesary weight, but am torn between the timbersled and fabcraft rear skids. I have a set of powder hound skis on the way and scored a xrs seat if it will bolt up. Has anyone had trouble with warranty support after removing rear heat exchanger and installing thermostat? Thanks guys

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Thank again guys for all the feedback. Sleds allready in the garage and been working on it. it's got best plan warranty coverage through 2012 so I'll have to leave the powerplant pretty stock. I have started removing unneccesary weight, but am torn between the timbersled and fabcraft rear skids. I have a set of powder hound skis on the way and scored a xrs seat if it will bolt up. Has anyone had trouble with warranty support after removing rear heat exchanger and installing thermostat? Thanks guys
Sounds like its going to be a great setup when your done. No i never had any issues with the fact i removed the rear exchanger as per warranty coverage at the time. Even though i had 2 claims "PTO, rod bearing" after approx. 1800kms and at about 2500kms the "temp sender". I never had another after and the motor has been bullet proof since i did my upgrades.
If you have a good dealer that knows the RT, they will over look your upgrades you mentioned. You might want to talk to them about it first.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Both can be reversed pretty easy if there were an issue, just keep the parts around for the cooler
and a couple spair hoses never hurt anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts