Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
What are some of the best setups goin for the RT? I have weighted up to 18.5 g and runnin the stock secondary with a 20t top gear.
Sea level but mostly 1000' to 3500' elevations. Lots of climbs and deep heavy snow most of the time.
But after a few good pulls the clutches are heating up too hot to touch. I keep them clean but have already smoked 3 belts in only 800 [email protected]$140ea. I know their heavy and all but just wondering what's workin the best. Aftermarket and stock wise. Thanks in advance ,Sharky

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Apperently nobody wantin to give advice.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Get a 20T-15 top gear, a new 15 plate chain. Put 9 tooth ext. drivers on and Dynamo Joe's Helix and primary spring. My recipe for for pullin the steep and deep and cool clutches! RS

·
Metalhead
9,088 Posts
Rene...I don't know if your email is working or your email has been sending my emails to the dump bin because it thinks im spam.

How is your helix/primary spring setup doing?

What don't you like about it?
What you see improvement..........if any?
Backshift better?

Thanks
Joey

·
Registered
921 Posts
Dynamo^Joe said:
Rene...I don't know if your email is working or your email has been sending my emails to the dump bin because it thinks im spam.

Backshift better?

Thanks
Joey
[snapback]748920[/snapback]​
Hi Joey, Your helix/primary spring is working good. I no longer lose rpm on the really steep and deep which was my main issue! Backshifts better, the degree on the stock helix is way steeper! I would like it to hit a little harder in the bottom, but I think that would cause problems for the 13 plate chain. Skidoo is building an awesome sled with the introduction of the REV, there weakest link is the chain! These sleds are making so much HP and Torque they reall need to do some R&D on the chain!
Bigdog and I will volunteer as test riders! LOL

·
Metalhead
9,088 Posts
Explain what you mean "want it to hit a little harder in the bottom"

What is the problem you would like cured?
The engagement is too high?
The engine revs too high off the start?

explain the event you have...
explain the event you would like to feel/see.

THANKS
J'

·
Registered
921 Posts
I would like a bit higher engagement so it pulls harder out of the hole.( Me thinks that would be too much for that wimpy chain though)It is rockin though, I have gained track speed when climbing with the kit and 9 tooth drivers. Last weekend I climbed an the avy chute Smitty was doing the breaststroke in 10 minutes earlier. When I went through the soft 4 foot Snowdam I lost all my momentum I kept it pinned and it held 8000 rpm over the top and it was pretty steep. The stock clutches would not have let me get close to the top! Was even doubling guys up the steep stuff and it held it's RPM no problem! Hey DJB, Smitty and the Boys from the dootalk Ride how they think the RT pulls? Should have let you guys take it for a few pulls! Rene

Here is a pic of the chute I climbed after it avalanched on me and Smitty. You can sorta see the group down on Morton Lake looking up into the clouds.

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
I Dare Ya Rene! said:
I would like a bit higher engagement so it pulls harder out of the hole.( Me thinks that would be too much for that wimpy chain though)It is rockin though, I have gained track speed when climbing with the kit and 9 tooth drivers. Last weekend I climbed an the avy chute Smitty was doing the breaststroke in 10 minutes earlier. When I went through the soft 4 foot Snowdam I lost all my momentum I kept it pinned and it held 8000 rpm over the top and it was pretty steep. The stock clutches would not have let me get close to the top! Was even doubling guys up the steep stuff and it held it's RPM no problem! Hey DJB, Smitty and the Boys from the dootalk Ride how they think the RT pulls? Should have let you guys take it for a few pulls! Rene

Here is a pic of the chute I climbed after it avalanched on me and Smitty. You can sorta see the group down on Morton Lake looking up into the clouds.
[snapback]749814[/snapback]​
Yeah......I really wish I would have taken yours for a quick rip to feel the difference Rene. I love my RT, but I know there is a lot more potential there. I definitely want to make some gearing and clutching changes to mine and it would be nice to have a frame of reference to go from. Especially from the same sled with a different setup. Oh well........guess I'll have to come back out there.......crap! LOL

Put the 21 tooth gear in the top yesterday. Is there any advantage to the 9 tooth drivers other than lowering the gearing? Could a guy go to a 18 or 19 tooth on top, change the chain, and keep the 10 tooth drivers?

As for clutching, I think I need to go through Joes clutching IQ about 8 more times before I start doing any experimenting myself! lol

Oh....just a quick question......my secondary should move back and forth a little shouldnt it? It doesnt move a hair right now. I tried out a team roller a couple weekends ago, and then went back to the stock. Thinking maybe they didnt put it on right. I thought I remember always having a little play in the secondary.
Also....how often should a guy take clutches apart and clean them. I have 550 miles on my sled.

·
Registered
921 Posts
All the aggressive riders here that tried the 19T on the 1000 busted their chains. The 9 tooth helps the clutches run cooler and gives more room for snow and air to circulate! If you are going through belts I would clean your clutch every 5 rides. Otherwise every 10 rides. They really collect belt dust and spring dust which hampers the rollers. Talked to Bigdog today, might be coming to Golden for a ride soon! RS

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
i like the doo roller on mine. it shifts a lot smoother.
scott

·
Metalhead
9,088 Posts
I Dare Ya Rene!Mar 6 2006, 05:24 PM]
Rene, your spring is a dalton grey 200/330
The spring to bring your engage up 200 rpms would be a BRP Pink/Purple 230/320
Pt#414754200

I'll see if I have one.

*i send you a p.m.*
Later
Joey

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have had reasonable success with the high altitude kit, I just added more weight to the threaded pins. A total of 6.3 grams in each pin.
It runs #3 in the soft at 7900 to 8100 and #2 on the hard at 8100.
It has the 20t gear in it.

I am happier with this setup while climbing. It pulls between 52 and 58 mph track speed while in the deep and steep.

I think that it is flat on the top though, it pulls up to 70 mph like a jack rabit, then very slowly climbs after that to 85 mph.
How do I get the better upshif all the way through?
If I race my old 800 on the local race hill, it is short enough that I can't out run him by more than 3 or 4 lenghts. The torque is there, it just does not shift out very well. When I had the heavy arms in, I could blow the 800 away by 12 to 13 lenghts, so I know it is capable...... I just want a happy medium.

I am assuming its best to change the helix now to get a better upshift on the upper end. What angles have been tried with success?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was blowing belts just like you, I was running Dayco's. I then switched to team secondary and a skidoo belt, I have now gone close to 300 miles(knock on wood) on one belt. I also placed a 12v fan in the air box that blows air onto the clutchs. Make sure you take off the plastic belt guard too.
Another factor is the rider, your just riding the thing too hard, ( that what skidoo told me when I came to them with the proplem) Slow down, and ride like a old man!!!!!!!
Also you can only ride the 1000 for about 10-15 minutes before stopping and opening the side cover to let eveything cool down.
Good luck

·
Registered
539 Posts
deep&steep said:
I was blowing belts just like you, I was running Dayco's. I then switched to team secondary and a skidoo belt, I have now gone close to 300 miles(knock on wood) on one belt. I also placed a 12v fan in the air box that blows air onto the clutchs. Make sure you take off the plastic belt guard too.
Another factor is the rider, your just riding the thing too hard, ( that what skidoo told me when I came to them with the proplem) Slow down, and ride like a old man!!!!!!!
Also you can only ride the 1000 for about 10-15 minutes before stopping and opening the side cover to let eveything cool down.
Good luck
[snapback]755984[/snapback]​
lol, ya ok

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
deep&steep said:
Good luck
[snapback]755984[/snapback]​
Ripped that black heat blanket off long ago, Installed two large screened vents for air. swiss cheesed the metal cover, cleaned everything inside and out and still meltin the hand when checkin em out. Be damned if i will ride like an old man and stoppin every 10 minutes BLOWS! Been doin that and sick of it! A fan sounds like a good idea but also will fit in with the Clampit family. I dont want that.

A guy should not have to do all these mods to a new sled to make it work , but we have no choice now that we own em. Got a 44/30 (i think) helix comin from goodwin and some springs with some 9t drivers, Might get the team or 06 roller but will see how their recommemded setup works first. I always run bombardier belts and keep clutches clean.

Also was noticing some small fracture/hairline cracks around the buttons on the secondary, My buddys rt looked the same though. Is anyone elses doin that? I don't want it to GRENADE on me! They are very small but there nonetheless.
Also anyone ever tried to go to a larger bottom gear or is this not possible? I have a 49.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I Dare Ya Rene! said:
Dynamo^Joe said:

Backshift better?

Thanks
Joey
Hi Joey, Your helix/primary spring is working good. I no longer lose rpm on the really steep and deep which was my main issue! Backshifts better, the degree on the stock helix is way steeper! I would like it to hit a little harder in the bottom, but I think that would cause problems for the 13 plate chain. Skidoo is building an awesome sled with the introduction of the REV, there weakest link is the chain! These sleds are making so much HP and Torque they reall need to do some R&D on the chain!
[snapback]749409[/snapback]​
Rene just for the record is this 1000 your talking about or is this the 600 your talking about. I might be getting an 07 1000 151" and would like to make this gearing and clutch change if this is what you were recommending for the 1000

20T-15 top gear
shorter 15 plate chain
9 tooth driver
Dynamo Joe clutch with Pink/Purple 230/320 spring

PS I'm finished with my rant. Time heals all wounds.

·
Registered
541 Posts
RT MAN said:
I Dare Ya Rene! said:
Dynamo^Joe said:

Backshift better?

Thanks
Joey
[snapback]749409[/snapback]​
Rene just for the record is this 1000 your talking about or is this the 600 your talking about. I might be getting an 07 1000 151" and would like to make this gearing and clutch change if this is what you were recommending for the 1000

20T-15 top gear
shorter 15 plate chain
9 tooth driver
Dynamo Joe clutch with Pink/Purple 230/320 spring

PS I'm finished with my rant. Time heals all wounds.
[snapback]756598[/snapback]​
Good to hear RT MAN..............we were scared you were gonna cross over to the dark side there for a while.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts