Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a older skidoo rs to race next year. I am having a hard time determining what was stock racing parts on the sled. Some don't have the hot button others have trail tanks etc. just looking for some help on what was standard, good years, things to look for, craigslist has not yielded good results so far. This thread has not got traction in the race forums. What are add on's for the rs to increase hp legally within the race rules? How good is stock clutching on the rs or is this the area where most hp gains can be made? Thanks

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have had a hard time finding rs's which have not been trail converted. I am finding polaris "race" sleds everywhere and cheaper but I would like to stay with skidoo.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Trail converting an RS is basically cutting the hot start wire, rejetting from 230s to 280-300 and changing the needle position. Then they were swapped with a trail tank, most guys that have a 10 gallon tank have the 5 gallon sitting on a shelf. I do.

To go from trail converted to race trim can be done in about 15 mins. (Without changing gas tanks)

·
Registered
120 Posts
My clutching is stock and is very versitile. I'm sure it could be tweaked but I like how mine is.

Tips i'd give to to a beginner sno xer are,

Be in good cardio shape and do any and every forearm workout you can think off. Being able to pull your sled around at the end of the race is just as important as the start.

Worry about your body weight more than the sled's weight. A pound is a pound. (and cheaper to drop your lbs than the sleds)

Novice Sno X is more about finishing as fast as you start than sled tuning.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Great advice! If you are going to start racing...try picking up a stock race sled. Spend the first year learning about the sled....and most importantly getting yourself in shape and used to making consistently fast lap times.

The 2008 RS sleds had some issues. 2009 through 2013 were quite good.

I've heard that 2014's had a few issues.

They went to the PCX or Race R-motion rear skid in 2012 I believe. That was a good upgrade.

They went to a 128 track length in 2014 or 2015. Also another good upgrade.

The newer the better, I would say. But being your first race sled...I would pick up something that's straight and clean. Focus on your fitness and riding technique for the first year...then think about upgrading the sled.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot! Actually I like hearing the fitness part. I made a lofty goal for myself as far as Heath weight and fitness and actually hit it which is why I decided to race next year. I have been on tracks with xrs's but never a real race sled.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have found a couple to look at but one I was initially interested in was a racing practice sled and was told does not come with title. Would you stay away from this sled or is this common. I also have noticed I am not seeing model or vin number on a lot of these sleds. Is it common for these sleds to have rebuilt heads and would you be drawn to or stay away from race sleds owned by good race teams.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The vin on side of the tunnel is probably covered by tunnel grips if they are installed and usually are. If the sled was used for competition only then good chance it's never been titled. The sled should come with the vehicle certificate of orgin then.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts