Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my holtzman atacc along with 20 pilots and 390 mains. First it idles just a little high (1800 ish) i played with the idle screw to get it down to that though it was at about 2200 range. There arnt any pinched hoses or anything so thats not the problem.

it runs just fine but when i come to a stop the rps hang at around 3g's or so? then it SLOWLY comes down.

So my question is what should i do to get them down?
Thanks again
-Jesse
 

·
www.kalcoinspections.com
Joined
·
3,186 Posts
millnoff said:
I just installed my holtzman atacc along with 20 pilots and 390 mains. First it idles just a little high (1800 ish) i played with the idle screw to get it down to that though it was at about 2200 range. There arnt any pinched hoses or anything so thats not the problem.

it runs just fine but when i come to a stop the rps hang at around 3g's or so? then it SLOWLY comes down.

So my question is what should i do to get them down?
Thanks again
-Jesse
[snapback]686312[/snapback]​
flip to half choke ( if equipped ) and then back to off-choke quickly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,324 Posts
This is a big mystery. Mine does the same and wants to engage the clutch. It really makes me mad...and for sure never shut it off at that rpm, the backfire will blow your eardrum out. I have made it a habit to give it 1/2 choke and calm it down, it happens right now by doing this. From what I hear the pipe and can are hot and continue to pull fuel at a high rate after a run, it takes a while for this to stop and this is why it idles so high. I wish there was a fix but from what I hear there is none, just the choke trick. Maybe someone can prove me wrong, I really hope so so I can fix this annoying problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Your air piolit screws are set to lean. Turn them in 1/8th turn until desired rpm is acheived. Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Ripcord said:
Your air piolit screws are set to lean. Turn them in 1/8th turn until desired rpm is acheived. Hope this helps.

[snapback]686326[/snapback]​
Yep, lean. ^ like he said.
 

·
www.kalcoinspections.com
Joined
·
3,186 Posts
PootoDoo said:
Ripcord said:
Your air piolit screws are set to lean. Turn them in 1/8th turn until desired rpm is acheived. Hope this helps.

[snapback]686326[/snapback]​
Yep, lean. ^ like he said.
[snapback]686355[/snapback]​
I was told that this was a side effect of faltslide carbs. I question the too lean theory because adjustment of my pilot screws only seemed to help temporarily. It started doing it again the same weekend.
 

·
Big Daddy Long Stroke
Joined
·
2,069 Posts
bm800rev said:
millnoff said:
I just installed my holtzman atacc along with 20 pilots and 390 mains. First it idles just a little high (1800 ish) i played with the idle screw to get it down to that though it was at about 2200 range. There arnt any pinched hoses or anything so thats not the problem.

it runs just fine but when i come to a stop the rps hang at around 3g's or so? then it SLOWLY comes down.

So my question is what should i do to get them down?
Thanks again
-Jesse
[snapback]686312[/snapback]​
flip to half choke ( if equipped ) and then back to off-choke quickly.
[snapback]686315[/snapback]​
What the hell kind of fix is that!!?? You guys are proving to yourselves that the sled is running lean. When you hit the choke your providing a richer condition. Need to play with the jetting...
 

·
G MAN
Joined
·
5,381 Posts
There are no air screws (have not been since round slides). You have flatslides on your 800 and the white screws are FUEL screws. Factory setting is 1.5 turns out but most find that you need to go richer to 2 or 2.5 turns out (yes, even with the richer 20 pilots) to eliminate the hanging idle.

Have fun,

G MAN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW thanks for all the help so fast. GMAN were are those white screws your talking about? I think ill try that 1st.

thanks guys ill keep you posted im gonna try it right now.

-Jesse
 

·
G MAN
Joined
·
5,381 Posts
millnoff said:
Umm im not seeing thoughs screws anywhere? Does anyone know were they are?

thanks again,
-Jesse
[snapback]686528[/snapback]​
Take off the coolant hoses and pull the carb assembly off the boots. You will see them on the reed side of the carbs in the lower MAG side section (have springs on them). Turn out another half turn each and try it again.

Cheers,

G MAN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,363 Posts
gman086 said:
Hitting the choke simply cuts off the air so the sled will die unless you just "flip" it like the others have said - has nothing to do with how lean or rich you are at idle.

Also there are no air screws (have not been since round slides). You have flatslides on your 800 and the white screws are FUEL screws. Factory setting is 1.5 turns out but most find that you need to go richer to 2 or 2.5 turns out (yes, even with the richer 20 pilots) to eliminate the hanging idle.

Beware of misinformation - seems to be a LOT of it in this thread.

G MAN
[snapback]686484[/snapback]​
I agree I put the # 20 pilots and turned the fuel screws out 2 turns and it my fixed my hanging idle problem now it come right back down and idles real well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey I think I got it. It seems to be idleing ok, and the hanging rpm problem is virtually gone. I took it out for a 50mi rip and it ran fine. I checked the plugs many times abd its not running lean so i think im good. Will see if i hooked the atacc up right in 4 days im heading to wyoming! Cant wait!

thanks again everyone!
-Jesse
 

·
www.kalcoinspections.com
Joined
·
3,186 Posts
gman086 said:
Hitting the choke simply cuts off the air so the sled will die unless you just "flip" it like the others have said - has nothing to do with how lean or rich you are at idle.

Also there are no air screws (have not been since round slides). You have flatslides on your 800 and the white screws are FUEL screws. Factory setting is 1.5 turns out but most find that you need to go richer to 2 or 2.5 turns out (yes, even with the richer 20 pilots) to eliminate the hanging idle.

Beware of misinformation - seems to be a LOT of it in this thread.

G MAN
[snapback]686484[/snapback]​
Pics anyone?
 

·
Big Daddy Long Stroke
Joined
·
2,069 Posts
gman086 said:
Hitting the choke simply cuts off the air so the sled will die unless you just "flip" it like the others have said - has nothing to do with how lean or rich you are at idle.

Also there are no air screws (have not been since round slides). You have flatslides on your 800 and the white screws are FUEL screws. Factory setting is 1.5 turns out but most find that you need to go richer to 2 or 2.5 turns out (yes, even with the richer 20 pilots) to eliminate the hanging idle.

Beware of misinformation - seems to be a LOT of it in this thread.

G MAN
[snapback]686484[/snapback]​
I don't know if you were refering to me when you wrote this or not but that is basically what i was saying. Flippin the choke is cutting off the air, thus providing a richer condition. Just like you said. You just went into more detail of how to fix it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
WeTDrEaM said:
gman086 said:
Hitting the choke simply cuts off the air so the sled will die unless you just "flip" it like the others have said - has nothing to do with how lean or rich you are at idle.

Beware of misinformation - seems to be a LOT of it in this thread.

G MAN
[snapback]686484[/snapback]​
I don't know if you were refering to me when you wrote this or not but that is basically what i was saying. Flippin the choke is cutting off the air, thus providing a richer condition. Just like you said. You just went into more detail of how to fix it.

[snapback]687586[/snapback]​
This is a little more misinformation on this thread. The "choke" lever in this case is not really a choke. It is an "enrichener" that adds fuel. So it makes the mixture richer which can be a good diagnostic test for fuel mixture, but it does not cut off air.

Jon
'03 Rev 600 Sport
 

·
www.kalcoinspections.com
Joined
·
3,186 Posts
WeTDrEaM said:
bm800rev said:
millnoff said:
I just installed my holtzman atacc along with 20 pilots and 390 mains. First it idles just a little high (1800 ish) i played with the idle screw to get it down to that though it was at about 2200 range. There arnt any pinched hoses or anything so thats not the problem.

it runs just fine but when i come to a stop the rps hang at around 3g's or so? then it SLOWLY comes down.

So my question is what should i do to get them down?
Thanks again
-Jesse
[snapback]686312[/snapback]​
flip to half choke ( if equipped ) and then back to off-choke quickly.
[snapback]686315[/snapback]​
What the hell kind of fix is that!!?? You guys are proving to yourselves that the sled is running lean. When you hit the choke your providing a richer condition. Need to play with the jetting...
[snapback]686367[/snapback]​
If your plugs are a perfect brown or maybe a little dark, do you really want to adjust anything?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Yup, mine does the same thing...05 800 Renegade. From the other threads/ posts I've read, it's the nature of the beast with the leaness of the powertech. It'll sometimes idle so high at the stops that the clutch stays engaged. Usually blipping the throttle brings it back down or the choke lever trick. It's annoying for sure, but I guess the fuel economy is great compared to the non-powertech models.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top