Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
My sled (2003 800 rev sport) is idling rough and around 3000 rpm, also when I shut it off it usually backfires. The needles were lowered when the carbs were cleaned - could this cause any problems? Also seems to be overheating a bit. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine did the same thing this weekend. It was the carb boot. It only comes as an assembly with the reed cage, $143 each.

Mine is covered under my extended warranty, so I took into the dealer.

Take a look at the plug wires as well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Very important to fix that problem. Make sure you get it to idle down and not backfire. It will blow out the crank seal on the 03s thats a huge problem for that motor.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Could have something to do with the excessive heat. More air = engine running lean = more heat. If you need to replace the boots get V-Force reeds from Sled-parts.com. They are $260 for the pair, instead of the $143 each for the POS BRP replacements. The boots come with the reeds and are much better quality then the stockers. If you do need one though, I have one that I took out of my sled. Only one boot on mine was gone so the other one is still good (no rips). PM If you want it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Yeah, get the Delta V-force 3's from www.sledparts.com I got mine on sale there for $245. Much better quality than the stock BRP's. Mine had the high 3500 rpm idle. Mine is a 600 and not an 800.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I just replaced a set of reed cages on my 700 mxz for rough idle, it seemed to run fine at higher rpms, but it also started using more fuel. I pulled the cages and found the reed pedal seats were delaminated from the metal cage, totally coming apart on the PTO side. Put new reeds and cages in, runs smooooooth.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. The problem was loose y pipe bolts - 3 OF THEM - weren't tightened when the new crank seals were out in. It now idles at 2500 when you first stop and then down to 1600 after about 20-30 seconds - and no more backfire. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.