Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've got this 2000 Formula Deluxe 700. Its got 6800 Kilometers on it...or so the speedo says. I got this thing used from a guy who got it from a guy...etc. Any way, my polaris buddy keeps telling me I got to ditch this thing be cause of an issue they have with "blowing" the lower case bearings out because they are not lubricated properly. I did a little research on this, and still am confused as to which ROTAX series engine I have. Can anyone shed me some light on the subject? And, do I have to worry about any thing? It runs great, except for starting when cold sometimes.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
The 700 is a great motor. Wish they still made it. Oh and slap your polaris buddy he's confused. I'm not a pro on the 700 but almost all the Doo engines used sealed bearings with ISO grease in them. If a bearing seal fails the engine can suck in air leaning it out. Alot of high milage 700's out there. It's all in how well it was maintained.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The 2000 700 had a oil hole instead of a sealed bearing in 2001 they plugged up the hole and put it sealed bearing in but if you use good quality of oil I've never had an issue

·
Registered
602 Posts
The 700 is an excellent motor, great power and perform close to an 800 with less issues.
I never had bearing issues on mine, miss that sled

·
Have been
5,940 Posts
This is a laugh a Polaris guy telling you your Rotax has a Bearing problem, The worst skidoo is a 800 series 3 and it has a life span of double that of most Polaris engines!

A 700 skidoo is one of there better engines Skidoo made!

·
Registered
146 Posts
700 is a great motor. 2000's had isoflex on pto side bearings and oil on the mag side bearings. There was a dealer service bulletin back in 2000 (2000-10 I believe). It instructed the dealer to turn up the oil pump for more lubrication. Later 700's had the isoflex on both sides. The carb boots are notoriously short lived and are prone to cracking. Honestly, I'd be more concerned about the boots than the bearings. Realistically, it depends on how it was maintained by the previous owners. Don't listen to the Poo guy. What's he know....he bought a Polaris.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
The 99 and 2000 700 were good engines, with long life spans. The 99 and the 2000 Formula had only the outer PTO bearing using isoflex. The inner PTO bearing was oil lubed until '03. It had a seal in between the PTO bearings. The mag bearings were oil lubed like said above. Some were changed to iso and the lube hole plugged, like said above.'01 and up were all iso mag brgs. I have over 1000 miles on a 770 which i converted to oil mag brgs with no problem,and it has oil injection. . The 99 and yours had cranks with 24 mm big end rod pins, which were changed to the 27mm pin in '01 mxz700 and all after.The 24 mm pins are the lightest reciprocating weight, but the weakest. Most lasted a long time with no issues, though. Most 99's used a 79 mm inner crank seal, which went to a 76 thereafter. Like said above, adjust your oil pump to put out more. After you set your correct throttle free play, hold it wide open, make sure your throttle slides are opening fully, then set your oil pump lever reference mark so the wide open mark is about .010" - .020" past the reference mark on the case. Then check your consumption rate. Aim for 35/1. Your engine likely made the most power of the 700's, around 125. The strongest crank bearing setup were the '03 700. They had the widest PTO bearings with the retaining plate and removable outer seal, same as the newer 800's.. IMO BRP should have improved the ports on the 700 and added throttle body injection, put it in the lightest XP chassis. There would be hordes of fast revving, 140 hp, 400 lb sleds on the trails now. Kinda like Doo's version of the F7. But I'm just thinking out loud! Oh, and if you have the round slide carbs, cut about 7 coils off the springs to lighten the throttle pull.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts