Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 renegade 550f which I have had for a while now and am looking to increase hp. I know everyone always says go to a liquid cooled but I'm in a situation where I wouldn't be able to. Seen a lot about clutches, pipes and cans but where should I start?

·
Banned
59,630 Posts
Good question. I would also be interested for fan cooled.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I am no expert but I think a little bit of porting and the Aien exhaust system supposedly make a decent increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
I am thinking that ski doo offered a hop-up performance kit especially for the 550 motor.

Not sure if they still do or not.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I'm going to be the black cloud. I wish someone told me this a long time ago... Gas and riding a stocker is more fun than wrenching on a modder.

Performance and 550f don't really go together. You can drop $300 on a clutch kit, couple hundred on a pipe, couple hundred on a port... The list goes on and on... Before you know it you spent over $1k and decreased reliability and performance consistency. If you take the money you will spend on hop ups, the down time you will inevitably get, and the money you will get out of your pre hacked up unmodified sled you can have a great running great performing liquid.

·
Banned
59,630 Posts
Mike how many miles you got on your 550

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
the rev chassis 550 X was a hauler with the bigger carbs and some clutching , wanna say we were getting 83 - 84 mph out of our 2007 ' s

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I have a 2011 renegade 550f which I have had for a while now and am looking to increase hp. I know everyone always says go to a liquid cooled but I'm in a situation where I wouldn't be able to. Seen a lot about clutches, pipes and cans but where should I start?
What is your goal here, 5hp increase, 10hp increase, 5mph... Saying I want more power doesnt really say much. By the time you port the motor, heads, pipe, and clutch you'll only gain about 10mph and with that money spent, you could have bought a 600LC that would gain you 20mph and weigh less, the 550f in the xp chassis are heavy, its not like the old revs.

I put THOUSANDS of dollars in mods on my old '06 550X, and in the end it dyno'd at 83hp and the most I ever saw out of it was 87mph. Alot of that money was in weight savings and we got it under 400lbs, but I doubt you're willing to spend this kind of money. I wasnt willing to spend that, but it was free to me and all the parts and labor were donated for a project sled.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Get a 1999 polaris xcf if you want a hot rod fan its a 440 fan that will beat an hang with most 500s out there.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 MXZX 850 / 2011 MXZX 800 etec
1,527 Posts
What is your goal here, 5hp increase, 10hp increase, 5mph... Saying I want more power doesnt really say much. By the time you port the motor, heads, pipe, and clutch you'll only gain about 10mph and with that money spent, you could have bought a 600LC that would gain you 20mph and weigh less, the 550f in the xp chassis are heavy, its not like the old revs.
I put THOUSANDS of dollars in mods on my old '06 550X, and in the end it dyno'd at 83hp and the most I ever saw out of it was 87mph. Alot of that money was in weight savings and we got it under 400lbs, but I doubt you're willing to spend this kind of money. I wasnt willing to spend that, but it was free to me and all the parts and labor were donated for a project sled.
That sounds like a fun project a sled under 400 lbs and 83 hp out of a fanner is impressive.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Get a 1999 polaris xcf if you want a hot rod fan its a 440 fan that will beat an hang with most 500s out there.

And Polaris doesn't make pistons for it anymore, so when it blows up, you're done. I know, I had one. Found pistons that were close, but had to shave the skirts down to match the originals.

Fun machine for about 900 miles, but never again. Sold off the motor to a guy that has a machine shop and races them.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
And Polaris doesn't make pistons for it anymore, so when it blows up, you're done. I know, I had one. Found pistons that were close, but had to shave the skirts down to match the originals.

Fun machine for about 900 miles, but never again. Sold off the motor to a guy that has a machine shop and races them.
My xcf has allmost 3000 miles an runs very strong.was yours a 2000 an or newer?they had issues them years.the 1999 is the one to get.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
It was a 1999. Take good care of it. They made that motor in 1998 and 1999. That was it. 2000 XCF are using the older 440 motor with newer carbs (newer ignition, shrouds, etc), then the ProX came out with the same 440 as the 2000 XCF, but it was far more finicky with the jetting. My nephew had a 440 Pro X. Temp change of just 10 degrees the thing would bog. He took it to the mountains and in the morning it would run fine (jetted for the mountains), but by the afternoon he'd almost need to get towed back.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
It was a 1999. Take good care of it. They made that motor in 1998 and 1999. That was it. 2000 XCF are using the older 440 motor with newer carbs (newer ignition, shrouds, etc), then the ProX came out with the same 440 as the 2000 XCF, but it was far more finicky with the jetting. My nephew had a 440 Pro X. Temp change of just 10 degrees the thing would bog. He took it to the mountains and in the morning it would run fine (jetted for the mountains), but by the afternoon he'd almost need to get towed back.
[quote name="TheBearAk" post="15078489" timestamp="1453257453"]It was a 1999. Take good care of it. They made that motor in 1998 and 1999. That was it. 2000 XCF are using the older 440 motor with newer carbs (newer ignition, shrouds, etc), then the ProX came out with the same 440 as the 2000 XCF, but it was far more finicky with the jetting. My nephew had a 440 Pro X. Temp change of just 10 degrees the thing would bog. He took it to the mountains and in the morning it would run fine (jetted for the mountains), but by the afternoon he'd almost need to get towed back.[/quote

I don't know what year my brother had, but it would get so bad you'd pretty much have to push it across an intersection because it would start to bog so bad. Never found a fix either. Ya, great sled, snap one up.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts