Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Rotax 494, Crank Bearing Problems?

5K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  chilly willy 
#1 ·
I own a 1996 Formula SLS with the 494 Rotax engine, just over 4,000 km.

Engine runs great but I have heard that the crank bearings on this engine are prone to problems. Has anyone heard about this? What is best way to test for bad crank bearings? How much $$ to replace?

Thanks in advance!

Think Snow!

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. My engine is not too noisy yet but it is a little hard to tell.

Is there anyone else who can comment on this?

#9 ·
Finally a reply! Many thanks Hubcap!

How much did you turn up the oil pump? How did you know when the PTO bearings were lost?

#14 ·
Hi all,

Update to this thread - have not yet rebuilt my SLS - turned up the oil pump as suggested - still running strong except now it is VERY hard to pull over when cold. Crank bearings maybe??

#16 ·
I bought my sls from my brother who had the crank rebuilt around 9-10,000 kms..It is very hard to pull over after its been sitting for awhile as well and I am noticing oil in the belly pan and can't seem to find the source of the leak..The engine runs great and doesn't seem to smoke excessively at startup.

#18 ·
I bought my sls from my brother who had the crank rebuilt around 9-10,000 kms..It is very hard to pull over after its been sitting for awhile as well and I am noticing oil in the belly pan and can't seem to find the source of the leak..The engine runs great and doesn't seem to smoke excessively at startup.
Hi Chilly Willy. Check for an oil leak through the weep hole on the water pump just under the exhaust. My SLS had this issue a few years back, and I first noticed it with oil in the belly pan. A new oil seal was required on the water pump shaft. It is possible to replace the seal with the engine still in the machine - search "water pump oil seal weep hole" and you will find an excellent thread describing how to complete the repair :biggrin_old:

#19 ·
Hi Chilly Willy. Check for an oil leak through the weep hole on the water pump just under the exhaust. My SLS had this issue a few years back, and I first noticed it with oil in the belly pan. A new oil seal was required on the water pump shaft. It is possible to replace the seal with the engine still in the machine - search "water pump oil seal weep hole" and you will find an excellent thread describing how to complete the repair :biggrin_old:
Here is the link

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/205419-rotary-shaft-seals/?hl=%2Boil+%2Bshaft+%2Bseal+%2Breplacement

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.