Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Guys:
Well I got a chance to ride a new 2006 Yamaha Nytro for an extended time on Tug hill last weekend. (100 miles) I have ridden the APEX RTX before in early season but not as many miles as I rode the Nytro for...

Here are my feelings..

Engine: very nice and throttle response is very good just like has been reported already. Engine braking takes some time to get used too but for a 4 stroke I was impressed with low and mid range power. Top end is very dismal at best and this sled has no chance to stay with a cat, doo or Poo 600cc 2 stroke...

Front suspension: I will have to say the Floats work very well on this sled and work much better than they did on my 2003 REV 600HO. I hated the Floats on my REV as they don't move very well and have way too much stiction compared with conventional shock and springs. The FLOATS work well on Yamaha due to very heavy front end weight with the 4 stroke but I was impressed with how well it could absorb small to mid size bumps..Also, the carbide runners as equipped form Yami are an absolute joke!! 2 inches of carbide will get you no good steering control at all!! This sled needs way more carbide and/or a good set of C&A pro skis. And the front end seems very long compared with REV , like the skis are so far away..

Rear suspension: One word, HORRIBLE. That rear suspension is the worst performing suspension I have EVER rode, period.. It bottoms ALL THE TIME on the slightest of bumps... I even had the torsion spring set up to stiffest setting and rear track compression damping adjustment turned in all the way but it still bottoms. The bottoming did not bother me so much except for the fact that when it does bottom it is very HARSH and really upsets the chassis. I rode the sled on small and big bumps and it really did not matter.. It is really too bad as the if the rear suspension worked better it would really help the overall handling of sled...

Bars/ergonomics: Bars are shaped very nice and I absolutely love the grips and hooks. Problem is the steering post and riser block is a horrible design and you can't pivot it like a REV. The bars are way too low for me but I am 6'3" tall. Bar height could easily be fixed but fact that you can't pivot the bars forward is not good...

Seat: one word, AWESOME!! If I could fit that seat on my REV it would be a done deal. I liked that seat better than 440 REV.. It just has the perfect height and firmness.. It looks kind of like they modeled it after a Boss highrise but whatever it works great!!!

Gages: yes they are very nice but I don't place much emphasis on gages as i rarely look at them other than tach. This is one of the biggest problems in trail riding I think that many people spend too much time looking at their gages and not looking where they are going!!!

Hand/thumbwarmers: not as good as Doo or poo but they do work... Hi is not really that hot but again not a big deal for me as my hands never get cold and I wear Mechanix Wear thin gloves... If you ride hard and aggressive you are moving around so much your hands don't get cold...

Windshield: Shield , what shield?? LOL, that windshield is great looking but serves no functional purpose at all just like Doo X one.. I use the Summit fixed shield on my REV and IF I had a Yami the windshield would be first thing I replaced...

Clutches: fine and don't see any issue at all with them....

Brakes: great, no problem at all

Overall:
Better than I expected but I still would NEVER buy one as it is in current form. It is obvious to me that sled is built for older guys who like to cruise on groomed trails. It is in no way, shape, or form a "ditch banger" sled and guys who think it is have : a) never rode a REV or
have no idea how to ride a sled fast over big bumps. It is just not that type of sled and NEVER will be I don't care who is riding it... The rear suspension is biggest problem and if yamaha would just copy the Doo SC-4 they would really have a great trail sled...Those transfer rods never really worked well in 1997 on the SX and they STILL don't work well in 2006... They need to throw those things away and just copy the Doo SC-4 and be done with it!!!

I rode the sled on trail to Cedar Pines right after it was groomed on Saturday afternoon. I could easily fly with the Nytro and I was even passing some guys on REVS. For smooth trails it does handle very well but once the bumps get bigger forget about it, pushing the Nytro over the big bumps will either: a) get you hurt when the rear bottoms hard and pitches you over the bars or
front and rear arms will bend along with the very weak running boards...

Weight is definitely heavy and is easily noticed as soon as you turn up the speed and try to jump the big moguls like you can with a REV... A REV (properly set up) allows you to whack the throttle over the bumps and just get front end to wheelie over them just like how you would jump a dirt bike over the bumps...You can't really do this with NYTRO as it is just to heavy to get that front end to lift by whacking the throttle!!

Like I said I was impressed with some things but other components are really sub- standard starting right with the rear suspension... Fix the rear suspension and then Yamaha may have a better sales result and more people coming to their side...

A great sled for moderate to slow riding on smooth groomed trails like what is found in Canada. It would be a fantastic sled for those conditions and would easily be competitive with just about ANY other sled IF ridden in above conditions all the time... Get the Nytro out in the big bump world on Tug Hill and you are easily in the back fast!!

So Nator and JDS, I can be very subjective and like i have said many times before i have no beef with Yamaha or ANY other sled Mfg. I truly hope that Yamaha will build the ultimate lightweight 4 stroke sled with 150 HP and 450 lb. dry weight but I just don't htink it is possible unless they use more exotic materials like carbon fiber, Titanium, and magnesium. They could obviously doo this but would jump the price to a level that 90% of folks would not accept...

·
Closet Doo lover
1,855 Posts
Why was it 200 miles in the other thread and now 100 here. And someone let you ride their Nytro for 200 miles on Tug Hill over the weekend just for kicks? I don't know too many people who are going to let someone ride their sled for that long. I'm just sayin

·
RIP Old 600
2,646 Posts
bogus post, i think there is a lil lie there, oh and rev god the "master of tug hill" i betch a could take u any day on the hill no matter what the conditions r. i bet ur one of the dudes that everybody passes. give me a time and a placa and i will be there. well......as long as it is on the weekends. still in high school, gettin ready for college.

Andrew

·
Dootalk = college student's study time
4,213 Posts
Yamanator said:
Why was it 200 miles in the other thread and now 100 here. And someone let you ride their Nytro for 200 miles on Tug Hill over the weekend just for kicks? I don't know too many people who are going to let someone ride their sled for that long. I'm just sayin

[snapback]730510[/snapback]​
Go some where else. Why the hell are you here?

Ryan

·
RIP Old 600
2,646 Posts
CATEATER_REV said:
Yamanator said:

Go some where else. Why the hell are you here?

Ryan
[snapback]730609[/snapback]​
oh, come on, u have to be more mature than that, leave yamanator alone, he was jus voiceing his opinion, not bashing like some on this site.

Andrew

·
Hold It Wide Open Till You See God
2,311 Posts
revgod said:
I truly hope that Yamaha will build the ultimate lightweight 4 stroke sled with 150 HP and 450 lb. dry weight

[snapback]730228[/snapback]​
I truly wish that ski doo would produce a two stroke with 120 hp and 450 dry weight.

·
Closet Doo lover
1,855 Posts
I wasn't saying that he didn't ride it. Just pointing out that a certain person who is prone to exaggerate says in one thread that he rode one for 200 miles and in this says 100. Not to mention, how many people do you know are going to let someone ride their new Nytro 200 miles in NY where just about everyone has been begging for decent snow conditions... And coming from the guy who is the most vocal anti-yamaha guy on the site.

Just pointing out a few things. Thanks Andybob.

·
sledhead
2,241 Posts
I (myslef) enjoy reading the posts from Yamanator........sure beats some of the brand loyal fool posts that make me fall to......

I cant say i understand why he posts her so much, but i also cant say i really care. We all have our own brains.....use them, and go on about your day

Yamanator - keep posting for us clone haters, thanks

BTW, I would never buy a friggin 600+ lb sled i would use off trail, thats just retarded......I thought my RT was OK.......until i rode my other REV again.....Fack them heavy sleds, thats JMO

·
Registered
111 Posts
Who cares about Tug Hill? I guess it takes a special kind of ******* to enjoy bouncing all over the place at 40 MPH.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yamanator said:

Well nator this is what friends doo. And I did ride the Nytro for over 100 miles . Hey I can't rememeber exactly how many but who cares .. The point being i rode one for an extended time on Tug Hill in the bumps, in the smooth trails etc...

Geez, I should have taken pics for all you naysayers.. I will be up there this weekend and my buddy will be going again with his Nytr. I will post pics when i get back just to shut you up...

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CATEATER_REV said:
Revgod, thanks for the post. It was well written, don't listen to anyone else...

Thanks again,
Ryan
[snapback]730612[/snapback]​
Thank you Ryan. It is nice to see some guys appreciate honesty and fair opinion.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yamanator said:
I wasn't saying that he didn't ride it. Just pointing out that a certain person who is prone to exaggerate says in one thread that he rode one for 200 miles and in this says 100. Not to mention, how many people do you know are going to let someone ride their new Nytro 200 miles in NY where just about everyone has been begging for decent snow conditions... And coming from the guy who is the most vocal anti-yamaha guy on the site.

Just pointing out a few things. Thanks Andybob.
[snapback]730710[/snapback]​
Like I said nator. I will be posting pics come next week just to shut you up once and for all... I have no reason to lie and who cares how many miles it is... I don't write down the mileage from sleds I just ride and don't own.. And who would NOT pass at the chance to ride a well set up REV 800X with Axis shocks?? We know you would but you are a fool.. I will be up there this weekend when will we see you showing how great the APEX really is at hitting the big bumps??

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
andybob1001skidoomxz said:
bogus post, i think there is a lil lie there, oh and rev god the "master of tug hill" i betch a could take u any day on the hill no matter what the conditions r. i bet ur one of the dudes that everybody passes. give me a time and a placa and i will be there. well......as long as it is on the weekends. still in high school, gettin ready for college.

Andrew

[snapback]730604[/snapback]​
Anytime,. anyplace , anywhere... You have NO chance with that outdated POS... But I love a good challenge so come on up to Worth Rd. on saturday AM I will be there...For a high scholl boy you sure do talk a good game..

meet me at Flat Rock Inn by 10:00 AM Saturday. I will be on a all black 2005 800X with Bender can, and Axis shocks... Not many sleds up there with Axis shocks so I will be easy to find...

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Travis M said:
Who cares about Tug Hill? I guess it takes a special kind of ******* to enjoy bouncing all over the place at 40 MPH.
[snapback]730721[/snapback]​
More like, a skilled rider. You know, having to hit bumps and find the best lines through the rough stuff.

Anyone with a brain can hold a sled wide open across a lake.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tughillterror said:
Travis M said:
[snapback]730721[/snapback]​
More like, a skilled rider. You know, having to hit bumps and find the best lines through the rough stuff.

Anyone with a brain can hold a sled wide open across a lake.

[snapback]730914[/snapback]​
Exactly... Tug Hill always separates the men from boys... This is why most people don't like riding there because the bumps just beat you up over the course of the day, especially on ANY sled but a REV... I love riding the bumps as it takes ahwole different approach and sled set up is critical!!! And you have to be in great shape to run them fast all day long!!!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I guess you can say something good about any new sled, but come on it's a piece of shti compared to what the rev is good for, why does everyone even compare this rice burner to a rev, can't figure this out.

The absolute worst thing about this Yam, get cookin on a trail and be prepared to go straight, that's a BADDDDDDDDD feeling.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts