Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on ordering 07 Mach Zx. Totaled my 05 Mach. Should I order it with the rip saw track. I'm sure there are many advantages, but will I lose top end or any other disadvantages. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
831 Posts
I have the ripsaw on mine w/ 144 up the middle and I've seen 122 on dream o meter and she was still climbing. Unless you're gonna lake race it all the time I think the ripsaw is the way to go. Really hooks hard on the firm snow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Mach Daddy said:
Planning on ordering 07 Mach Zx. Totaled my 05 Mach. Should I order it with the rip saw track. I'm sure there are many advantages, but will I lose top end or any other disadvantages. Thanks
[snapback]751247[/snapback]​
I've got an '05 with just the 1" and 192 1.175 Gold Diggers and everyone I've gone up against this year, RX-1, ZR 900, F7's all have gotten me out of the hole (Some more than others) and eventually I'd catch them. Due to some embarrasment this season, I'm getting a rip saw for next season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts
Kirch said:
I have the ripsaw on mine w/ 144 up the middle and I've seen 122 on dream o meter and she was still climbing. Unless you're gonna lake race it all the time I think the ripsaw is the way to go. Really hooks hard on the firm snow.
[snapback]751325[/snapback]​
What he said
for the Ripsaw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,714 Posts
I prefer the 1" hacksaw, it is alot lighter and hooks awesome in the snow. I say unless you have fresh snow all the time you don't need anything other than 1 inch. The ripsaw loses anywhere from 5 to 10 miles an hour on very top end. This loss of speed will get you topended by a good running 800 powertech. Suspension and clutching is the main reason you get hole shotted by a track with one quarter inch more lug. The benefits of a lighter track( with a better lug pattern then stock) out weigh what little you gain in the first 50 feet with a ripsaw. Besides look at the weight difference between ripsaw with studs, they have to be big studs to have any penetration and a one ich track like the hacksaw with studs. It is probably around 6 to 8 pounds heavier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
823 Posts
I put the RipSaw on my 05 and my 06 with studs and love the track, It hooks up great and have seen 121mph on the speedo, For trail and drags in the snow it work great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
823 Posts
andy670ho said:
I prefer the 1" hacksaw, it is alot lighter and hooks awesome in the snow. I say unless you have fresh snow all the time you don't need anything other than 1 inch. The ripsaw loses anywhere from 5 to 10 miles an hour on very top end. This loss of speed will get you topended by a good running 800 powertech. Suspension and clutching is the main reason you get hole shotted by a track with one quarter inch more lug. The benefits of a lighter track( with a better lug pattern then stock) out weigh what little you gain in the first 50 feet with a ripsaw. Besides look at the weight difference between ripsaw with studs, they have to be big studs to have any penetration and a one ich track like the hacksaw with studs. It is probably around 6 to 8 pounds heavier.
[snapback]751529[/snapback]​
5 to 10 MPH??? I think you are a little high on that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
I tried both this year Rip and Hack, sticking with the Hacksaw. Running 192 1.375 Stud Boys, I can finally put the power to the ground. It suits my riding style better, I ride 99% groomed hard packed trails. I don't think people realize how fast their sled can be if they can get it to hook up. I would only walk away from good running 800 Doos and F7 with the Ripsaw with 144 1.375 now I'm 8-10 sled lenghts ahead at 80 mph. Long studs make a big difference on hard pack. I did not notice much of a difference on loose powder snow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,714 Posts
MachZman said:
I put the RipSaw on my 05 and my 06 with studs and love the track, It hooks up great and have seen 121mph on the speedo, For trail and drags in the snow it work great.
[snapback]751554[/snapback]​
Like I said 5 to 10 miles an hour, everyday my stock mach will run 125 to 128 on the speedo, good days with tailwind I HAVE seen 131 and 132 back to back runs. With the stock track or the hacksaw. Anyone on this site that has run those speeds with a ripsaw track and a bone stock mach z I would like to hear about it. The ripsaw tracks are nice but definetly slower. I know of a ported mach that is running 132 to 134 on the speedo with a hacksaw track. Motorsports5 hit it on the head.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
I've got a 1.25 doo track on mine and it'll dig a deeper hole than a ripsaw.
It's got 5500 miles on it and the lugs aren't bending over like a high mileage ripsaw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Anyone who orders a new Mach Z and does not take advantage of a Rip Saw track is missing the bolt.

Sure, if you are a ice racer you don't need it.

Put a 6 inches of snow on a lake and Rip Saw all the way.

Start running in deeper snow and it really out does the 1" tracks.

Put on my 05 when it was new. Would never go back to a 1" track.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
Rip saw without a doubt.Five lbs lighter than the stock one inch track.Andy must be an ice runner.I run snow(normal conditions) and top end is important 123 on speedo, but I will beat 1inchers on radar in our conditions so a ripsaw is right for me. I don't like the option price though.I will by the ripsaw and install and sell my 1 inch..way better deal.No way on the 5-10mph story...maybe on ice but I doubt it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,851 Posts
I'd order it with the ripsaw 1.25 and if you don't like it switch to the 1" Hacksaw. It's still better than the DOO track unless you are running powder, then you have the wrong sled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
I know everyone likes the top end speed of the smaller lug track.
However have you thought about STOPPING?
1.25" all the way much safer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
I still have over a month left to be thinking and pondering about whatever I should snowcheck a 07 Mach Z X , but I just had an idea, why not sell the 1" track the very 1st day you got it, then get ice ripper 1.25" and stud it ( just not as many as you would compare to ripsaw 1.25" ) either 96 studs "V" pattern shape or 120 would be perfect, what you think about this setup ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
Blue Max..Why? I cant answer why the ripsaw is lighter..different materials I assume. Stock BRP 1 inch =38lbs,Hacksaw = 32 Lbs.Shipping weight of Hack =35Lbs,box = 3lbs. Ripsaw = 33 lbs ,box = 3 lbs total shipping weight of RIP = 36lbs. 3 lbs static weight = 21 rotating.

Ripaw is lighter than stock 1 inch. Arguments can be made for stud weight etc,but I ran unstudded this year,great conditions and light weight track.I was really worried about top end loss with the ripsaw,but it did not happen for me in normal conditions ie every day conditions,and was better when the going got tough.

BRP 1inch vs BRP 1.25 = 3mph GPS in snowmobile conditions/not ice running in my testing on an 800 x.


Ps ,I am not arguing with anyone elses results.I have a lot of respect for most comments on here,but we all run different conditions with different results.

On another post a guy says his F7 runs within 2mph top end of his Mach Z. For me that would be 11mph difference... again I run snow not ice.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top