Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting fired up here in Wisconsin for the up coming season. Looking for some suggestions on where to ride and stay out west mid December. I currently have a 2010 800 Summit 146.

THKS For the help

·
Registered
99 Posts
I can't claim to know all the places to stay out here, but here are some spots I know about with a little info:

Island Park, Idaho/West Yellowstone, Montana/Big Sky, Montana are major snowmobiling hotspots with everything you could want and plenty of info on where to ride and such. Downsides are that there will be TONS of people there, and since you will be coming earlier in the year, you should know they don't get as much snowfall as a lot of other places. There are plenty of hotels and such - snowmobiling is legal on most streets so you can stay most anywhere.

Togwotee Pass, Wyoming is probably one of your better bets for lots of early season snow because it's pretty high. Still a major hotspot with a lot of people, but probably more spread out. Togwotee Mountain Lodge http://www.togwoteelodge.com/ is a major place to stay - they even have a gas station. Brooks Lake Lodge http://www.brookslake.com/ is up higher, almost on the top of the pass and more secluded, but fewer amenities. There are various other places to stay around Jackson and Moran, WY than you can check out.

Northern Utah near Bear Lake/Cache Valley has some sweet places to ride, Tony Grove will have more snow than most snowmobiling places later in the winter, but in December it's hard to say. Beaver Creek Lodge http://www.beavercreeklodge.com/ is a cool place, and the owner and staff are way cool. If you came here I'd take you to some sweet riding areas. Far fewer people. There are some places above Salt Lake in Park City, but the ski resorts limit a lot of area. The Uintah mountains above Kamas, UT are cool and keep the snow cold and powdery, but don't get as much snow as above SLC or Cache Valley. Obviously these are the areas I know most about haha.

I've never been to McCall, Idaho, but it's supposed to be one of the top rated areas - you can do some searches for a little more info.

Colorado has some cool places, but a major problem is that so much of the mountains are in designated wilderness - so they get pretty upset and offer a hefty fine if you ride out of bounds.

I know you probably want to get in your reservations as soon as possible, but it really is difficult to say which places will be best in mid-December because you never know how soon the snow will fall and how deep it will be - the problem is you really need to have like 3 feet before intense offtrail riding, 5 would be better. If you want to get reservations soon, I think Togwotee is your best bet to be safe, but if you were able to wait a couple months you could see where the snow is falling. I don't know if this is an option, but I hear Revelstoke, British Columbia is one awesome playground.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Revelstoke has been better after New Years during recent years.

Not saying its not a worth while option, but with your weaker American dollar you are likely better staying South of the Canadian border. Someday I would like to try atleast half the places UtahRider mentioned.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Most places down here are a lot better after New Years too. This last winter we had record snow with over 6 feet by mid December, but a lot of years I'd be heading on the year's first ride in mid December - and I would really be watching for rocks and stumps. I don't know if there is any way you could change your plans, but if you came in February you could ride anywhere, high or low, without concern and make your trip a lot more worth it. If you can't then I would shoot for Togwotee.

·
Registered
530 Posts
To go with what Utah Rider said I am also from the midwest but go west about 10 times year. I have ridden many places that early in great snow conditions it just depends on the year.

Snowy Range/Sierra Madre's in wyoming would be another place to look into.

Cooke City Montana is another spot that tends to usually have good early season snow.

Togwotee/Alpine is another good place to stay that has plenty of lodging available.

Rabbit Ears or Grand Mesa colorado.

Island Park Idaho

There are many places to go depending on what kind of accomodations you are looking for but snow conditions will vary. It is tough to plan a trip for mid december not knowing what kind of snow conditions there will be.

·
Members
1,025 Posts
To go with what Utah Rider said I am also from the midwest but go west about 10 times year. I have ridden many places that early in great snow conditions it just depends on the year.

Snowy Range/Sierra Madre's in wyoming would be another place to look into.
X2, it does depend on the year. But some areas are more friendly to ride earlier due to trail system set ups and the make of the terrain.

After doing Togwotee Pass 4 years in mid December we hauled a group out to the Snowys last season.
Much of the trail system in the snowys was open as they do not rely on ice bridges over the creeks. With more of trail system being open, there were more accessible areas to ride and thus it was easier to avoid the lower snow regions. Plus the terrain is a little less jagged and rocky as say cooke, utah, and togwotee pass.

We are heading out December 10th-16th this season. Package Deal...835, transportation, lodging and meals included.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts