Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering i have ridden in verycold temps before but usually just warm the sled up more then usual what other things if any do i need to do to the sleds before i go for a ride ( sled related not clothing ) thnsk

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
You will likely find your sled runs a lot better in the colder temps.
These are made for cold. Be sure your antifreeze is good to say -35 or -40 bundle up and let her rip!
Don't be afraid of the cold, just frostbite.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
If it's a carbed sled you need to check the plugs the colder it gets!!!
If your not jetted for the temps you are riding in you could have a lean fuel condition. Air is more dense the colder it gets and there is not temperature cut off! If you are jetted fine for 0 degrees you might rejet before you go out in -25 degrees. If your jetted for -25 you might want to rejet for -50. If your jetted for -50 you might want to just stay inside if it gets to -75, because hell IS freezing over! Most jetting charts only go to -20 but as a rule you can look at the difference between -2 and the next warmer jetting recomendation and just go that much bigger then -20 for -40, and so on. If your sled feel like it's running better then before you might want to check the plugs. Simple check sure beats towing when it's cold! Or install a tempaflow or ATACC from http://www.holtzmaneng.com and set it and forget it!
05SDI

·
Big Member
984 Posts
05SDI said:
If your not jetted for the temps you are riding in you could have a lean fuel condition.
[snapback]277931[/snapback]​
The exception to this rule are the Powertek sleds. Dealer up here told me I had to rejet for the temps but I thought I saw a chart that indicated that the Powertek sleds did not so I called BRP. The initial person that answered the phone did not know so she put me on with a tech and he said no jetting change was required on Powertek sleds for temperature. Does anyone disagree? Maybe Yellowknife can jump in here because he rides in the same temps as I do so I would like to know if his dealer changed his jets.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Barbarian you may be correct on powertek sled but 'fogerev' has a GXS 600ss and mxz600ho He didn't give the years of those sleds but I will assume that between both of his sleds at least one does not have the powertek.
That being said, it will surprize me if the powertek can compensate for temperature lower then -20 degrees (F). (or some minimum temperature set from the factory) I'd understand if they could be jetted for a colder temp and still work fine once it warms up. It seems to me there has to be a min temp one can safely run the powertek engines stock from the factory. Granted I don't know to much about these powertek engines as I have never had one.
05SDI

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
not a real lot to know about the sled, they run fine in the cold... its the rider I am worried about.

But sure to dress properly and if you have a doo modular helmet WEAR A BALACLAVA you will get BAD frostbit so fast you won't know it till its too late!

·
Registered
126 Posts
F.Y.I. : Make sure you get the 99% isopropyl. When you go to the drug store to buy it, the 76% stuff is usually displayed out front. You have to ask the pharmacist for the 99% stuff. Couple oz. per tank is enough. Cheap, cheap insurance. Make sure you don't use methyl hydrate gas line antifreeze. Stuff's no good for sleds. SDI riders, can you add anything to your gas tank? My dealer told me SDI owners couldn't add pre-mix or isopropyl. That sucks if true

·
Registered
656 Posts
saskrev said:
F.Y.I. : Make sure you get the 99% isopropyl. When you go to the drug store to buy it, the 76% stuff is usually displayed out front. You have to ask the pharmacist for the 99% stuff. Couple oz. per tank is enough. Cheap, cheap insurance. Make sure you don't use methyl hydrate gas line antifreeze. Stuff's no good for sleds. SDI riders, can you add anything to your gas tank? My dealer told me SDI owners couldn't add pre-mix or isopropyl. That sucks if true

[snapback]278386[/snapback]​
I,ve run ISO a few times never had a problem!

·
Crazy Person
5,618 Posts
BARBARIAN-X said:
05SDI said:
If your not jetted for the temps you are riding in you could have a lean fuel condition.
[snapback]277931[/snapback]​
The exception to this rule are the Powertek sleds. Dealer up here told me I had to rejet for the temps but I thought I saw a chart that indicated that the Powertek sleds did not so I called BRP. The initial person that answered the phone did not know so she put me on with a tech and he said no jetting change was required on Powertek sleds for temperature. Does anyone disagree? Maybe Yellowknife can jump in here because he rides in the same temps as I do so I would like to know if his dealer changed his jets.
[snapback]277992[/snapback]​
DPM is strictly an altitude adjuster.

Power TEK has the ability to adjust your fuel according to air temperature.

Power TEK owners don't have to worry about jetting.

It is funny cause that chart only goes down to -40 and I've been riding at -44 some days in the early mornings.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.