Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I hear that Charlies Inn got hit with 11" and the riding should be good for the weekend any one around that can confirm? If not I have a reservation at Esterel in Quebec the Doo is going to get some miles this weekend! 168 new studs to try out on the Renegade. Can't wait!
LET THE SNOW FALL!!

·
Snowtard
2,587 Posts
BOB
Do yourelf a favor and go to the hill. Charlies is OK but that railbed is as boring as can be. Very limited riding compared to what the hill offers....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bumplover said:
BOB
Do yourelf a favor and go to the hill. Charlies is OK but that railbed is as boring as can be. Very limited riding compared to what the hill offers....
[snapback]702470[/snapback]​
Never been to the hill done the Quebec thing, a little in VT and once out to Parish, NY. I always here the hill is rough riding. I am up for giving it a try any good spots to drop? Maps for the area? If you ride the Charlies area you know there are a lot of goat trails that keep you off the lines. I don't know the Hill so would need some info.
Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
i have been to charlies many times. its actually a decent place. i preferr it to the "hill" any day. half the people (and cops) yes it can be boring, the best ride is always charlies north to mountain view. great scenery and usually fast and flat. 35 miles one way to there, from mountain view to malone is another 15 miles. in mountain view there is a good diner right off the trail and there are many side trails along thw way that are usually a good ride. from charlies to lake placid is nice if the bads are covered and groomed. 11 miles that way. charlies to tupper (west) is also an unfilled bed that requires good coverage. of the 3 times i have been up there this year i had a good time and passed groomers all day.the only downfall is that its 2.25 hrs from home each way vs salisbury 1.5 hrs. you can spin off 100-125 miles heading north easy. that direction (malone/mtn view) is constantly groomed and a filled bed. if salisbury is marginal for saturday then i'll be at charlies. after the rain up there sunday they still had 4-5 ins of hard ice base.
im not trying to bash the hill but for me thats 3 hr trip. saturday will be a frigen ZOO there. i'm going up hopfully with 6 people, 3 guys and our women
the hill will be mogully as hell, sno-x drunken idiots every where and not worth the ride for me. to ride there you need good knowledge of the hidden/less traveled trails to have a great ride. bigziff and tughill terror are the guys to talk to.
and brock (owner of charlies) is honest with his reports, he can exxagerate how much he thinks the'll get for a storm but has never lied about how much did fall and if its raining or not

·
Registered
14 Posts
I Know brock well at charlies and you can usually trust his reports but I have a house up there and know the riding was not good b4 the rain last weekend sounds like they did get some snow less than 12" though and you can bet it will be packed wit the drunken idiots this weekend because it is carnival weekend and there is no chance of finding a place to stay if you do not have one

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
urnhart8601 said:
I Know brock well at charlies and you can usually trust his reports but I have a house up there and know the riding was not good b4 the rain last weekend sounds like they did get some snow less than 12" though and you can bet it will be packed wit the drunken idiots this weekend because it is carnival weekend and there is no chance of finding a place to stay if you do not have one
[snapback]703514[/snapback]​
As i said I am originally from up that way so I know Brock's report is a good one.. thats where I put 90% of my miles on but the report I got from teh Hill was 4' of snow from what I know of NY grooming that will mean 4' moguls by Saturday. I am still debating the trip as the Gade would love to plow through the deep stuff. With what they got at Charlies I only can guess that the only riding will be from Charlies to trail side not enough to cover the tracks with 11".
I guess I am looking for more info on where to drop and stay if heading to the Hill.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe I will see you there on Friday or Saturday if I don't hit the Hill./

iansmxz said:
i have been to charlies many times. its actually a decent place. i preferr it to the "hill" any day. half the people (and cops) yes it can be boring, the best ride is always charlies north to mountain view. great scenery and usually fast and flat. 35 miles one way to there, from mountain view to malone is another 15 miles. in mountain view there is a good diner right off the trail and there are many side trails along thw way that are usually a good ride. from charlies to lake placid is nice if the bads are covered and groomed. 11 miles that way. charlies to tupper (west) is also an unfilled bed that requires good coverage. of the 3 times i have been up there this year i had a good time and passed groomers all day.the only downfall is that its 2.25 hrs from home each way vs salisbury 1.5 hrs. you can spin off 100-125 miles heading north easy. that direction (malone/mtn view) is constantly groomed and a filled bed. if salisbury is marginal for saturday then i'll be at charlies. after the rain up there sunday they still had 4-5 ins of hard ice base.
im not trying to bash the hill but for me thats 3 hr trip. saturday will be a frigen ZOO there. i'm going up hopfully with 6 people, 3 guys and our women
the hill will be mogully as hell, sno-x drunken idiots every where and not worth the ride for me. to ride there you need good knowledge of the hidden/less traveled trails to have a great ride. bigziff and tughill terror are the guys to talk to.
and brock (owner of charlies) is honest with his reports, he can exxagerate how much he thinks the'll get for a storm but has never lied about how much did fall and if its raining or not
[snapback]703396[/snapback]​

1 - 8 of 8 Posts