Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am possibly moving to salt lake city this spring and was wondering where you can ride around the salt lake city area and if there are a lot of riding spots to ride a snowmobile. I see pictures all over the net but just wondering if they are close to salt lake city or is the good riding far away. Thanks

·
sledhead
2,241 Posts
I might move to SLC this summer also,

Get on the Snowest forum and ask Trailbuster this exact question, or better yet just ask me (hatchers) on snowest and i'll foward a really neat PM tht Trailbuster send me.

Hatch

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi Guys, From Salt Lake we've got the Uinta mnt range. about a 1 1/2hr drive. You unload near Kamas at about 8,000ft and it gets to about 11,000ft . Great mountain riding. There is also good riding near Logan in the Wasatch Cache range
Monte Cristo, and Tony Grove area's. This year snow depths have been good. The higher elevations are probably at 5-8ft . Somebody might correct me here, just estimating. One word of caution. Most of us Mormons down here are closet beer drinkers. And we even sled on Sundays. We can't be seen buying beer in public so you'll need to buy it for me. (sorry us). Let me know when you'll be here so we can meet to make the exchange. Hurry!
Have Fun, Sled on. Grey fox

·
sledhead
2,241 Posts
Grey Fox - I guess the Unita mountains and ceder city host the deep stuff for tha utah area. Geez, i noticed you have a 159"....do you really need that thing? Does that 159" dig a super deep trench?

Below is a PM i received from Trailbuster (Snowest), i dont know the details, but the has something to do with the trail Utah trail system

A useful site is the USA (Utah Snowmobilers Association) web site. This site is usually kept up to date on issues, snow conditions, grooming reports, and other snowmobile related things. There are 9 snowmobile complexes in Utah and the ones most often displayed on Alticity or other VID's are #1 Hardware Ranch / Monte Cristo - Logan Canyon and #5 Scofield / Joe's Valley / Skyline Drive.
http://www.snowut.com

As for moving to the SLC area and then heading to the mountains to sled, there are better places to live but it depends on where your job is and how far you wish to commute. SLC is pretty central but does require extra driving as TundraNerd mentioned. (I actually live 45 minutes south of SLC)

Complex #1, #2, #3 are about an hour from SLC (downtown area), complex #5, #9 about 2 hrs., complex #4, #6, #7 about 3 hrs, and complex #8 about 3 1/2 - 4 hrs away. Complex #8 gets the most snow in the state with #5 in second.
http://www.snowut.com/usacomplexes.htm

You can't go wrong hooking up with the Utah Mafia. They are a great bunch of guys. Of course, they are out of my league. But I have watched them over the years and they help each other out.

http://www.wa7x.com/ (Glens cam's at the top of Fairview Canyon, by complex #5)

Good luck in your move down and if you need anything else, just ask.
Dave ([email protected])

·
Registered
433 Posts
There is tons of Utah riding! Uinta mountains, Wasatch mountains, Ogden Range, Logan Canyon, Strawberry. All those are within 2 hours max of SLC. You can head up to Gaurdsman's pass up big cottonwood canyon in about 30-45 min, some great riding up there for a quick trip. We have tons of snow, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hatchers, I came from a 01 RMK 800 RMK 144. I thought that was the best , funnest, climbingest, slidehillingest, boondockingest ( are these real words?) sled ever.
Got this 800X 159" at the first of the season. Rode it 6 or 8 weekends and really lovin it. Two weeks ago I had to ride the old RMX 144. Talk about wallering down in the snow, digging a trench, wouldn't get up on top till you got some speed. Keep in mind I'm now comparing to what I'm use to in my new 159" sled. The 159 x 16w floats, rides higher on the snow , You motor around just feathering the throttle rather than balls to the walls all the time. And climb, this thing is incredible. Never had so much fun on a sled. Now I've got a friend with a Polaris 05 RMK 900 159. That's a trenching get stuck hog. However he's packing more sled weight and only a 15 wide track. My son prefers his RMK 700 144 in the meadows for carving and jumping, but when we start climbing and getting into the back country he begs me to trade off. To answer your question is it a trencher. Not this one. Good Luck

·
Registered
93 Posts
From Kaysville (About 15 minutes north of Salt Lake) There are lots of good places around, Monte is good but it is always crowded, if you get back in away from the people it can be great. Fairview and 12 mile area can have some decent rides, but if you wanna go big, go up Mirror Lake road, out of evanston, cross back to the utah side and go up to doublehill and superbowl area in the uintahs, Awesome spot!. If you wanna stay close, Try Farmington Canyon, about 10 minutes north of Salt Lake. It is good and has AWESOME snow fall totals because of the lake effect it gets from the great salt lake. But it can get old cause you are side Hilling so much.

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hatchers said:
Grey Fox - I guess the Unita mountains and ceder city host the deep stuff for tha utah area. Geez, i noticed you have a 159"....do you really need that thing? Does that 159" dig a super deep trench?
I have a 159" HMX and have to say it doesn't cut a deep trench. The extra footprint helps keep it on top on the deepest powder days. That said the number of days a year that the 159 is a better choice for Utah riding then the 151 are only one or two a year (at least that I get out). In the track of the 159 if I'm breaking trail my wife rides a 600 144... and does just fine.

Buying again I'd get the new 151x16x2.4... perfect for all conditions if you also run ice scratchers.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I live in Tremonton its an hour north of salt lake and only 45 min to logan canyon ( Tony Grove) (Providance canyon). All these areas have GREAT snow and all kinds of riding. Tony's as of to day has 9 feet of snow at the lake. around 8000 ft. and we get up to around 10,000 ft. and you can ride up to the end of may or the first part of june.

Star Valley wy. is only 2 hrs from here and Island Park is only 31/2 from here. But anyway's from central utah north you will have good snowmobiling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts