Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Is there a certain temperature required (for the machine/engine to warm up to) before reverse works? I was out riding and went to reverse and no go. This was the first time I have ever used the reverse on this new machine, a 2021 Expedition SE 900 ACE. After I pressed the button to go into reverse, I just heard some clunking sounds then a RER Failure message came up on the display.

I tried a few more times, same thing. I tried in neutral, 1st, and 2nd. Same thing. You can see engine temp (I think?) in attached photo with the RER failure message. It was minus 15 F (15 degrees F below zero, or about minus 26 C) outside at the time. No snow or ice build up at all on the track. The machine was on fairly level, hard pack snow ground (snow covered dirt road). I had ridden the machine about .9 miles before trying reverse. The display readout showed 169F for engine temp.

I drove back home and tried it again and then reverse worked without issue, several times. Weird. I didn't happen to notice or get a photo of the display when the reverse did work, so didn't notice the engine temp readout at that point.

Thoughts? Anyone else experience this? What could cause this?

RER Error message - minus 15 - 20201104 sml.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Can't be "temp" or you would never get them out of the trailers without front doors. (If they built that, well, leave it at that. . .)

When reverse did not work, do you recall if you "slammed on the brake" and slid the track locked tight to a stop then attempted reverse? Even if that was not the case perhaps and attempt to slightly move forward would have helped? (I know, not the best thing when you need to go backwards!!!!)

Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Can't be "temp" or you would never get them out of the trailers without front doors. (If they built that, well, leave it at that. . .)

When reverse did not work, do you recall if you "slammed on the brake" and slid the track locked tight to a stop then attempted reverse? Even if that was not the case perhaps and attempt to slightly move forward would have helped? (I know, not the best thing when you need to go backwards!!!!)

Good luck!!!!
Ahh... yeah shouldn't be temperature related then... I didn't think about cold sleds in (or on) a trailer and needing to back out. I sure hope it's not a temperature deal! Having to drag a heavy sled backwards to offload all the time or having to let the thing sit there running to warm up a lot before reverse works would suck.

I am riding real easy, during break in period for the first 30 miles or so. So, no, didn't "slam on the brake." I did move forward some and retry reverse a few times though and same issue (RER Fail).

Thanks for the well wishes. Not what I wanted to experience with a brand new sled. Hopefully, it was just a quirk but it has me wondering big time what the heck!

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
"Always something".

Old sleds like mine have "issues", then again like in your case brand new has you wondering. . .

Nothing is perfect, over time the answer will come but for now enjoy!!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I'm not as familiar with the G4 900 reverse as I am with the XS 900 reverse system but I will offer up a couple thoughts.....

At those ambient temps, it is very possible that you had a relay fail. The relays aren't completely foolproof. If there is a little moisture inside the relay, it might be frozen / stuck in its current position and did not move when voltage was applied to it when you tried to engage reverse. There are two relays. One for forward and one for reverse. I carry spare relays with me when I am riding my Enduro.

If it happens again, try swapping the relays with each other. The sled then may go into reverse but not back into forward if it is a bad relay.

Shortly after I got my spring ordered '16 Enduro 900, I was backing out of the trailer on a very cold morning and it stayed stuck in reverse. I swapped the relays and it went back into forward (but then would not go into reverse). Once I replaced the relays, I didn't have the issue again.

There is also a Reverse Position Switch and a Forward Position Switch. There could be an issue with that switch or the reverse linkage could be out of adjustment preventing the switches from working properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
That is very unfortunate and disappointing on a new sled. This has happened to me also, it's a bad relay. $20 at an automotive store.

·
Super Moderator
29,369 Posts
Sometimes, especially with a new belt, if the deflection is set a little too snug they won't shift.

Maybe try opening it up a little and see if it helps, or just the miles you've run may have already been enough.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Could just be the deflection. Open the side panel and pull the secondary backwards a little bit then hit the reverse. If it goes in your deflection is too tight.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you have electric reverse, the belt adjustment could be the problem. See manual for the proper setting of the belt. Adjust the belt so that the top of the secondary sheave is at the bottom of the belt valley. This reverse problem is a constant headache. Bad relays, frosted relays, belt adjustment, reverse arm adjustment. Shutting down an engine on a very cold morning can cause the relay to frost up. Never shut down the engine until the first pee stop. If you have a frosted relay, you can remove it and warm it up in your hands.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Could also need the mechanical linkage adjusted. Could be a lot of stuff, but your dealer should make it right.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Being that you heard some "clunking" I'm thinking your relays are probably fine. Possibly getting hung up mechanically.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I had it happen on my enduro last year once. thankfully it's only happened once. no idea what caused it it wasn't overly cold I had about a hundred miles on it for the day of course it happened at a very inopportune time but it hasn't happened again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 1200 would frequently fail to shift when cold then work fine warmed up.,,, but its getting it out of the trailer is when you need it. Relays all activating and a clunk sound but error message comes up. I found opening the cowling and just moving the secondary a little would put in in gear. This should not be going on with a new sled. End of story.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's just as easy to carry a couple spare relays/fuses. That's minimal storage on my sled in a ziplock bag for added peace of mind if I ever go out riding alone.

·
boost junkie
10,604 Posts
all 4 strokes are mechanical reverse

but the electric reverse system has more stuff to fail

rer...

rotax electric reverse

1 - 20 of 28 Posts