Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been touched before but just wanted to get input from people that have revalved the rear shocks. Was it worth spending a little money (compared to new suspension) to get them stiffer?

I'm over 300 lbs with gear on a 2015 154 Summit X. I don't jump a lot but every once and a while I like to and pretty much bottom out, which is expected. I have the big boy springs on the rear but is revalving even worth trying? Any comments are helpful.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
For your rider weight, you positively should revalve at minimum. There are so many options for changing suspension characteristic's, it can be a headache sometimes trying to pick the right one for your budget.

Currently one of the "best bang for your buck" options has been our new Elka stage 1 package kit.

$1,200.00 gets you all 4 (5/8 shaft) shocks, as well front ski comes with dual rate spring package included ($200.00 add on advantage), and a new center spring. Rear track would get a free revalve. Or for $350.00 more upgrade the rear track to a stage 4 with lo speed comp. and rebound adjust. That should really help match your rider weight to your sleds suspension ability.

This really has been a big hit for us this season. AK mining and diving just finished an evaluation on the kit, check with Nick for more info.

Tom's Snowmobile

·
Registered
249 Posts
Revalve is totally worth it. Plus, Ski doo uses shock fluid that appears to be squeezed from halfway rotted road kill and mixed with fry oil drippings from fast food restaurants. Unfiltered for authenticness.

So new oil alone is worth it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Revalve is totally worth it. Plus, Ski doo uses shock fluid that appears to be squeezed from halfway rotted road kill and mixed with fry oil drippings from fast food restaurants. Unfiltered for authenticness.

So new oil alone is worth it.
This is a very true statement. OEM shocks tend to come with low quality, basically fish oil which wears out quickly. Once it's toast the damping isn't what it needs to be. Add in a magnum sized rider and the issue is even greater. Speak with a custom shock guru and see what they recommend. Ian at Monster Performance is one I can vouch for. I'd say a rebuild with revalving would be money well invested.

One tip - the discussion or interview with a shock builder is important. The more accurate the info you provide - rider weight, riding style, what you didn't like with your current setup, your expectations - means a better product can be built. That interview goes two ways too, if the builder doesn't need anything from you beyond dollars, how is he customizing your shocks to meet your needs?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, that's all great advice. I think revalving is the way to go for me. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
233 Posts
just to give you piece of mind I'm a 300+ lb rider and have a 15 freeride, I put fat boy springs in the skid and had all 4 shocks rebuilt and revalved. it was an absolute night and day difference. It went from just a grossly soft, not fun suspension to now where I can ditch bang it with the best of them. it will side hill way easier, hold its line way longer and will tip over with ease. I hated my sled and wished I had bought a arctic until I did this. even all my friends who ride arctic said man this thing sucks before the change and now after they all want to try it again and again.

well worth the money!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts