Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the pros and cons of the 2006 and 2007 summit x rev chassis. I have heard good about both. Just wondering what I should buy. What's more reliable. What's the better choice considering go difference?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What all do you set to get it "set up properly". And what about reliability. Which engine is better. R or ho?

·
Summer Sucks!!!!!
8,989 Posts
What all do you set to get it "set up properly". And what about reliability. Which engine is better. R or ho?
IMHO - the 06 was the best out of the crate sled, until the 2011 came along. The 07 has some issues to work through. The clutch had problems, the raves had problems, the ecm water contamination was a problem, the crank/case issue was a problem, etc.....

Remember the 07 was the first year for the 800R motor.

·
Registered
56 Posts
IMHO - the 06 was the best out of the crate sled, until the 2011 came along. The 07 has some issues to work through. The clutch had problems, the raves had problems, the ecm water contamination was a problem, the crank/case issue was a problem, etc.....

Remember the 07 was the first year for the 800R motor.

Ya I was worried about the fact that it was the first year. So considering all these details what would you choose to buy?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you deffinitly think I should buy an 07. By now should everyone pretty much have fixed all the bugs anyways.

·
Summer Sucks!!!!!
8,989 Posts
So you deffinitly think I should buy an 07. By now should everyone pretty much have fixed all the bugs anyways.
Don't count on that, you need to check into it. As for what I would buy??, I had my choice of any sled out there including a heavy blue one with a hair dryer but I chose the one in my signature. But, I was willing to put forth the effort and $$$$$$ to make it what I wanted. I bought a bone stock xrs and modded it my way. If you are going to leave your sled stock or close to it buy the 06x.

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
Don't count on that, you need to check into it. As for what I would buy??, I had my choice of any sled out there including a heavy blue one with a hair dryer but I chose the one in my signature. But, I was willing to put forth the effort and $$$$$$ to make it what I wanted. I bought a bone stock xrs and modded it my way. If you are going to leave your sled stock or close to it buy the 06x.
Thats what all of my research pointed to as well. I just got lucky enough to find a good deal on a hardly used 06 X this past spring.

·
Always wrenching on something!
2,905 Posts
the 800r is a good engine, does fairly well off better then the HOs, i think the 800r might have literally about 10 hp over the ho's, my dad has a 07 800r and it goes really good, i dont think anything has been touched on it, it does have aftermarket can and we put in dual ring pistons in it, but other then that, stock and goes real good

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So for the most part it sounds like the 07 is the better way to go. That's the way I'm leaning anyways

·
2,905 Posts
So for the most part it sounds like the 07 is the better way to go. That's the way I'm leaning anyways
yeah, the rev frames and such didnt really change alot, my dads 07 800r compared very well to a Etec going up this 1 hill, infact beating the guy, until he decided to tinker with his clutch, then he pulled maybe a extra 15 ft over my dad, but hes got a 151" track the etec had a 159" ithink, either way a very nice sled, the mod i found that had been done to the clutch was just a dalton threaded inserts, so the previous owner had tinkered with the clutch, but yeah it deff goes alot better then a ho, our 04 rev 800 did about 3/4 or so as to how the 800r did, i mean really, id go for that sled, great power, and light, my dads a light guy and thats a good sled for him because he can handle it, and it keeps the youth in him ha ha!

but dont get a smaller track then a 151" the 151" with that 800r goes very good, and depeending you might want a bigger track, a 159" or 162",

·
Summer Sucks!!!!!
8,989 Posts
Please re-read my previous posts......let me say this, there have been fewer unhappy 06 owners than 07 owners. The 07 can be a great sled (the best sled IMHO), but plan accordingly. Just don't want you to not realize you may have to put some $$$ and time into it to get through the known problems.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I found a mint 06 summit 800 x powertek this summer. I am very happy to get it and feel kind of lucky BECAUSE EVERYBODY wants them and as soon as they come up for sale they are GONE. I can't say that for the 07's 08's even. They are still out there for sale and I would make sure if it was an 07 it has a factory replaced smallblock and all the known issues fixed, they had clutch and crank issues. 06 was skidoos best year. They hold their value. 2006 500ss was the best year for the 500ss also and i sold mine for a pretty penny even 3 years after i bought it.
My vote is 2006 summit. I love the rev chassis. Might as well same some cash buying an OLDER more reliable version. And who cares about losing a few horse power. You can put a DJ clutch kit in and and change the gearing and get that 06 to do things you won't believe.

·
2,905 Posts
I found a mint 06 summit 800 x powertek this summer. I am very happy to get it and feel kind of lucky BECAUSE EVERYBODY wants them and as soon as they come up for sale they are GONE. I can't say that for the 07's 08's even. They are still out there for sale and I would make sure if it was an 07 it has a factory replaced smallblock and all the known issues fixed, they had clutch and crank issues. 06 was skidoos best year. They hold their value. 2006 500ss was the best year for the 500ss also and i sold mine for a pretty penny even 3 years after i bought it.
My vote is 2006 summit. I love the rev chassis. Might as well same some cash buying an OLDER more reliable version. And who cares about losing a few horse power. You can put a DJ clutch kit in and and change the gearing and get that 06 to do things you won't believe.
probably why my dads 800r has them threaded inserts for the clutch arms, and the crank issues, wasnt that just a case clearance issue?, basically just replace the case on the crank there and i would think that should fix er? but chances are if its gone this long its got to of had it done,

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did ask the guy whose 07 I am looking at right now and he said he did get the bugs fixed but that doesn't mean all of them probably cause you listed quite a few. I'm still torn what to get cause I really want as much power as I can get but also have it be reliable and not have to worry about any problems arising well I'm in the mountains

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I did ask the guy whose 07 I am looking at right now and he said he did get the bugs fixed but that doesn't mean all of them probably cause you listed quite a few. I'm still torn what to get cause I really want as much power as I can get but also have it be reliable and not have to worry about any problems arising well I'm in the mountains
The 06 STOCK is the better sled... not because it makes more power and performs better in the deep.. because it does NOT!! but because the clutches do not fail nor does the engine (as often).

Having said that.. once you fix the clutches and the engine on ANY 07... it is ,by far, the better sled... This coming from a person who has had the 06's and 3 of the 07's (currently still have 2 of them.. that is how much I like them)

Having said all that.. I am getting long on sleds and do have one of my 07 sleds for sale.. 162 x 2.5 x 16 track.. 300miles on complete new engine (2010 engine) and many other goodies.. so, if the sleds you are looking at now, do not suit you.. give me a call.. My sled will surely impress

Kelsey

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
If you know what you are buying, and/or can wrench with some spare change in your pocket, the 07 is a better performing sled for a good rider. Don't adhere to that spec, you've been warned. Lotsa folks been st.ung by used 07's, and few by used 06's. Used 06's in good shape are getting hard to find. Kelsey at RTK knows the doos, and his would be one I would certainly trust. Average riders won't miss the 07, the 06's were that good stock to stock. That's why few 06's are are out there, most hang on to them or sell to friends. Just sayin. And, power is only part of it, something called clutching, and the 06 is an easier to maintain primary.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts