Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice here on what to look for on a buds Rev,his left grip warmer quit working and he asked me to help trace the problem down.The sled is an 03? I believe ( first year for Rev?) and I'm looking for some technical info for the resistance of the grip coil itself as well as some known spots to look for problems.I haven't seen the sled yet so bear with me here as I'll be checking the obvious things first like connections pulled apart or broken wires etc but the thing that's strange is that the right grip and thumb still work,so he says.Wouldn't the whole warmer circut be wired in series and fed off a common power?I'm just going by some of the other systems I've seen and worked on and makes me wonder how one side could work without the other.Anyone had similar problems or got any ideas?Thanks

·
Registered
414 Posts
I changed my two grips a couple nights ago. One quit working after I installed a new set of bars, probably because I had to twist them so hard to get them on. I figure I broke a wire in the grip itself. The other went a couple weeks ago while out riding. It just burned out and there was a hole in the rubber where it burned out.
Each grip is wired to a separate plug on the steering stem. A plug on the left side is for brake light and handwarmer on left side. Plug on right side is for handwarmer/thumbwarmer on right(as well as other stuff). Just follow the wires. For both grips there are three wires: black, orange and orange w/ purple stripe.
The new grips I was given were a little shorter than the grips that were on the sled from new and the wires were a little too short. I removed the old grips and cut the wires, leaving enough extra wire, with the connecter on the end so I could splice the wires together, using the original connectore(piece that goes into the black plastic plug). When you buy the grips, they don't come with these connectors! And, they are 2.47CDN to buy... each! You need six. Because I spliced the old connectors on to the new wires I didn't need them and brought them back for a new set of plugs.
Remember that on the throttle side handwarmer, the black wire is on the outside corner of the plug and it is on the inside on the left side plug. In both cases, the orange and purple wire is between the black and the orange.
The hardest part of the whole thing is getting the grips on and off the bars. I nearly broke my wrist! I have aluminum bars and that may make the difference. I ended up filing down one side a little bit to make it easier... but still very difficult lol.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.