Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was riding last night and at the end of the night my electric starter would grind when I pressed the button. Started half a pull with the recoil. I opened the side panel and tried again. It grinder and a little smoke came from starter motor. How do I remove the starter to swap another one in there? Any tips? Looks like it's a real PITA to get to the bolts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Remove the pipe. You will see in better that there are 3 mount bolts. 2 of them are easy. One is harder but not bad, you have to remove the sway bar mount bracket to reveal a hole in the belly pan that you can stick a extension through. Then remove the ground and power cable and pull it out.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
If the groove in the shaft that holds the bendix on isnt too worn and the shaft doesnt move in and out.. you can replace the bendix and the clip.

Take a good look at your ring gear also.

What do you mean by "smoke" ? That dont sound good.

You can also buy complete starters on ebay for less than 100 bucks.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
Remove the pipe. You will see in better that there are 3 mount bolts. 2 of them are easy. One is harder but not bad, you have to remove the sway bar mount bracket to reveal a hole in the belly pan that you can stick a extension through. Then remove the ground and power cable and pull it out.
If you remove the clutch.. there is enough room to slide the starter out.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the groove in the shaft that holds the bendix on isnt too worn and the shaft doesnt move in and out.. you can replace the bendix and the clip.
Take a good look at your ring gear also.

What do you mean by "smoke" ? That dont sound good.

You can also buy complete starters on ebay for less than 100 bucks.
it was grinding, bendix wasn't sliding out and there was a little smoke and that burnt up electric smell

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
I got over 8000 miles out of a cheap ebay starter before the clutch on the bendix started hitting the ring gear bolts.

just sayin

my buddy with his mach 1000 didnt have good luck with ebay starters tho.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thanks for the input guys. Ya I don't have any problem replacing starter. Just wasn't sure how the removal and install was. Like I said seems really tight.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I have mine rebuilt at a local shop that does alternator and stuff. I like to unbolt the four engine mount bolts pry the motor up on pto side makes it easier to unbolt the starter and yes with pipe out

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not really sure what it was?? It works absolutely fine again. I'm going to order one on ebay just to have on hand. Thanks guys

·
Registered
58 Posts
You can rebuild the starter. I saw a kit when I was dealing with mine. I seem to remember thinking why do that when I can buy a new one for not a lot more.

I eventually removed the whole damn thing. I haven't missed it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts