Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my rings replaced in my 600ho, go figure, back in Nov. Had the dealer go through the sled and I believe he adjusted my belt. The sled was running great and then I blew a belt this weekend. When I put the new one on, the sled will not idle more than 10 seconds before it dies and there is belt squeeling. I was told I need to loosen the belt tension a bit. I believe the secondary clutch is on 4 1/2. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
if you doo a search u will find plenty of info on this and also it should be in the owners man or call your dealer and he will help if he is any kind of dealer at all! also if your belt is squealing then it is probably burnt and now you will need a new one! check for narrow spots on the belt!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do any of you put the belt changing tool in before you loosen the bolts? I was told that it helps to do that to loosen the clutch a bit.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Just loosen the bolts and move the cam down a few numbers. Then run the sled on a stand, giver some gas, make sure that the clutches have engaged, then grab the brake and see how high the belt is sitting in the secondary. If it's not 1/8"over the secondary move down another number. Keep doing until you get enough belt out of the secondary. Make sure to wash the new belt in warm soapy water and scrub with scotch brite pad before putting on

·
Dootalk = college student's study time
4,213 Posts
ray628 said:
Do any of you put the belt changing tool in before you loosen the bolts? I was told that it helps to do that to loosen the clutch a bit.
[snapback]715133[/snapback]​
If you are putting on a brand new belt I would loosen the three bolts and then just move it down to the lowest setting. Then take that piece of all thread with a handle on it and put it in the whole with the arrow next to it. (Before putting it in get a little grease and put in on the end. If you take your belt off and or a couple times you don't want to strip that hole out, the grease will help with that). By inserting the all thread, you will notice that as you turn it in your clutch will separate. Put your belt on and then release the piece of all thread, and your clutch should go back together.

I always start it up on a stand or have someone hold it in the air for the next part. WHen you put your belt on your will notice that it sticks down inside the clutch, with the back off the ground rotate your track, until that belt comes up to the top. Then from here just move those 3 bolts until your get it setting at the correct height. Always start the sled with the track off the ground after you adjust the belt height so that you know if you have it at the right setting. If it is to heigh the sled it engage and go.

Side Note: Your other belt could have been worn a lot more, and your dealer had to adjust your clutches to match that belt. MY guess is that he adjusted it to the correct height. Now with a new belt it is so much bigger that you have to adjust it differentally.

Hope that this helps,
Anyone not agree with me?
Ryan

·
Registered
56 Posts
mine came set at 2 1/2 from the dealer new..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts