Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so ive posted that ive changed my bushings in both clutches, now with everything back together my primary makes a popping noise. Upon inspection (hood up, trackstand, no clutch cover) this noise is made when you hit the gas then let off and once the rpms fall to 3500 the clutch disengages completely and quickly(very quickly), making this smaking/popping noise. I took the clutch back apart no signs of damage or anything catching, cleaned it, put it back together same darn thing.
My sled has a cudney kit, engages at 4500 rpm and shifts out to 8000rpm, this problem wasnt there before i got my hands in those clutches so........
Any ideas?
-any help from anybody is appreciated.
thanks.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Well I can tell you we have tried to change bushings in the primary a lot of times and most don't work, the poping noise you are probably hearing is when the clutch finally disengages and that is usually caused either by the spring cup bushing or the moveable face bushing especially if you have installed new bushings in either or both parts. -- Bill

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
When you take your clutch off and hold it up side down do all the arms swing free?? How about your clickers all of them set to the same #? What about the arms comming in contact with the inside of the clutch where the spring is kept. By installing new bushing it might have pushed those arms out a little and they could be hitting the inside of the clutch.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everything seems to be swinging freely, i thought it may be the cotter pins on the adjustable wieghts catching (although it never happened before i took the clutch apart?) so i took it back apart made sure everything was free and even lightly filed the cotter pins to make sure...didnt help.
-keep the suggestions coming

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
TTT for ya!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, heres the news.....drove it over to the mechanics yesterday, and he said its normal. Told me that its just the roller popping over the "bump" on the ramps in my primary to disengage. He said that its just happening because they'res no play in the bushings anymore so is a bit harder(for lack of a better term) for the rollers to pop over the bump.
Since then I've put on about 220kms, and everything seems ok, he says it may go away after the bushings wear some.
-Thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated!!!!!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Skidoo_rider said:
Alright so ive posted that ive changed my bushings in both clutches, now with everything back together my primary makes a popping noise. Upon inspection (hood up, trackstand, no clutch cover) this noise is made when you hit the gas then let off and once the rpms fall to 3500 the clutch disengages completely and quickly(very quickly), making this smaking/popping noise. I took the clutch back apart no signs of damage or anything catching, cleaned it, put it back together same darn thing.
My sled has a cudney kit, engages at 4500 rpm and shifts out to 8000rpm, this problem wasnt there before i got my hands in those clutches so........
Any ideas?
-any help from anybody is appreciated.
thanks.

[snapback]693314[/snapback]​
I agree with Bill's comment.

The noise is because you have a stronger spring (higher engagement) and when the RPM's drop off the spring force will soon exceed the centrifigual force created by rotating the arms & weights. At this point - POP. Not a problem. Every clutch I've had since 1993 did this when you set-up for a more agressive shift.

Joe

·
Registered
305 Posts
have you checked you chain tension, maybe you are looking on the wrong side.....

·
Vendor
4,818 Posts
with big primary springs...the TRA will "POP" when it fully dis-engages...NORMAL...BJ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.