Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy put a new top end on his kids 600 we were talking about what a pain the circlip can be to install without a tool. I told him I like to position mine at 12 o'clock position. He said he wasn't aware of any particular position and he thinks his went in at 4 or 5 o'clock. He asked me if he should tear it back apart and redo them . I honestly don't know. Does anyone have an opinion on this. My thinking is as long as they snapped in all the way he's probably fine but I'm not sure..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
12 oclock is best position if using an aftermarket circlip, but honestly you should be using oem circlips and pistons nothing out performs them. The doo circlip has a bent end on it that fits percisly in one spot. The reasoning behind the 12 oclock postion is the up and down movement of the piston could cause it to compress and pop out in other positions.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Makes sense I may tell him I'd tear it back down better safe then sorry

·
Premium Member
27,927 Posts
12 oclock is best position if using an aftermarket circlip, but honestly you should be using oem circlips and pistons nothing out performs them. The doo circlip has a bent end on it that fits precisely in one spot. The reasoning behind the 12 oclock postion is the up and down movement of the piston could cause it to compress and pop out in other positions.
Agreed, 4-5 o'clock is oem position, but with a locking tab.

Not sure why anyone would want to use anything else. Aftermarket should make identical circlips to package with their pistons. It really makes one wonder of the thought behind the aftermarket piston design when something as simple as circlips cannot be done right. I am pro aftermarket and do what I can to support them, so not trying to take a cheap shot. Just an observation.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Makes sense I may tell him I'd tear it back down better safe then sorry

12 or 6 is preferred. I go with 12 o' clock position myself using Wiseco clips on my Pro X pistons (as supplied by Big John at Sledhead racing).

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I installed my wiseco circlips at 6 o'clock position and found they just rotate anyway so it really doesn't matter. Oem would be best

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I use the oem without a tail usually, the BRP tool to put them in, and like all engines, the ends of the circlip shouldn't be in the opening, they should be in a closed part of the groove.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I installed my wiseco circlips at 6 o'clock position and found they just rotate anyway so it really doesn't matter. Oem would be best
. I've noticed this about the wiesco clips . A lot of guys use them with no issues . I've used them my self but they do rotate in the groove. I haven't heard of any popping out so I guess they must be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts