Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I know, its been discussed before... But mine doesnt have stock clutching, supposed to be setup for snoX (sweden)

Setup is: violet/violet spring, 427 ramps and 17 gram pins. Secondary: 47/44 and a black spring.

It hits 81-8200 from a standing start,(Engage ~4300) droping to around 75-7600, then climbing to 78-7900. But the slightest loadchange, bump, track hooking etc the rpms dip emmidiately! Seems like its overshifts? Since the rings are starting to pit and have .8-.9 mm endgap that might be the cause of the innability to hold the rpms.(rings arent in yet and belts are blowing in a hurry) I tried clicking it up from #1 to #2 but that made the belt slip, black lines on sheaves.

Has anyone thried something simmilar to this setup? Clutches get way HOT! I threw in a purple secondary spring and it holds rpm much better. But primary slips waay to much and black lines aswell.. Now, I dont have any heavier pins. Is it possible to drill and thread the solid ones and make em adjustable so I can weigh them down more?

Anyone have a ramp chart? I have 410s laying in the garage, looked at em and they should make it shift out much harder! Right? Anyone KNOW the difference in the sled between the 410s and 427s everything else being equal?

It´d be great if someone could help out abit, because I´m burning up the belts in a real hurry trying whats not working... 2 belts in a week now, 100$ each..

In deep pow 3-4 feet it dipped to 6500, and got VERY sluggish. I THINK the sluggishness comes from overheated belt? Correct?

According to previous owner this setup, really kicks "edit for bad language" on track. And its not possible to have a god performer both on track and in loose snow?! Sounds weird to me!

Oh, and the belts dont blow. They WEAR OUT, tons of dust on the chassie. Then the "rope" in the side gets out and finally the toplayer of the belt rips of..

/Anders
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,756 Posts
Use a Ultimax belt and see if it lasts any longer than the Doo belts. I bet you it will.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
29,677 Posts
Put in the purple secondary and your troubles will be solved. Your thinking is correct, you're slipping too much and shifting out too quickly. Purple Secondary!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ran the 410s, 17 gram, violet violet--- 47/44, purple. Black line on the clutch one inch down from the edge. slipping, too hot.. And man is the engagement WAY to low with stock spring and ramp! How da hell could DOO send them out this way??? Talk about sluggish! Have a set of 228s which have a flatter tail. Maybe that wil cure it.. Or bumping the engagement to 4500+ and weighing it down and keeping the 410s.. Anyone have a known good ramp for the 47/44 helix? Dunno which route to go. Flat/steep ramp soft/stiff springs and so on..

Not to keen on changing belt right know. Another unknown variable.. :S
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
29,677 Posts
Sounds to me like you keep concentrating all of your efforts on the primary clutch while ignoring the secondary. They work together. If you want to keep screwing around with the primary, fine, but by the sounds until you do something with the seconary your issues will remain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MX-Z Man said:
Sounds to me like you keep concentrating all of your efforts on the primary clutch while ignoring the secondary. They work together. If you want to keep screwing around with the primary, fine, but by the sounds until you do something with the seconary your issues will remain.
[snapback]690020[/snapback]​
Hmmm, yes.. Becasue a new Helix is expensive overhere... And the winters suck! I wanted to make what I have work! What I´m really wondering is can the stock helix and 410s,427s 228s be setup with the right springs/weight so it works?! I´m REALLY hard on my sled. Crosscountry/offtrail as fast as possible. Tweener had a god description of his riding that sounded familliar..
Or will I keep wearing the belt out riding this way, nomatter what I do with the setup around this helix... Joes flat finnish seem to be the way to clutch, but shouldnt this atleast work good enough to ride and not wearout the belts in 200 kms...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
29,677 Posts
Jonsson said:
MX-Z Man said:
Sounds to me like you keep concentrating all of your efforts on the primary clutch while ignoring the secondary. They work together. If you want to keep screwing around with the primary, fine, but by the sounds until you do something with the seconary your issues will remain.
[snapback]690020[/snapback]​
Hmmm, yes.. Becasue a new Helix is expensive overhere... And the winters suck! I wanted to make what I have work! What I´m really wondering is can the stock helix and 410s,427s 228s be setup with the right springs/weight so it works?! I´m REALLY hard on my sled. Crosscountry/offtrail as fast as possible. Tweener had a god description of his riding that sounded familliar..
Or will I keep wearing the belt out riding this way, nomatter what I do with the setup around this helix... Joes flat finnish seem to be the way to clutch, but shouldnt this atleast work good enough to ride and not wearout the belts in 200 kms...
[snapback]690073[/snapback]​
I'm not suggesting a new helix, just a new secondary spring with your stock helix. The springs get lazy are really are a wear item anyway. A new spring sure is going to be less than a new belt. Why not try it, you have nothing to loose. The heavier spring will help with slippage and back shift, which will cool the belt and clutches.

Hey, do what you want. You asked and I offered. I've done it and it works. If you want to ignore the suggestion and keep buying belts, go ahead. If it were my money (and it was, so I did) I'd be buying a new secondary spring - TODAY.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MX-Z Man said:
Hey, do what you want. You asked and I offered. I've done it and it works. If you want to ignore the suggestion and keep buying belts, go ahead. If it were my money (and it was, so I did) I'd be buying a new secondary spring - TODAY.
[snapback]690125[/snapback]​
Hey... *%@??? Dont you read? I HAVE the purple 220/300 in it now! Stock black is a 160/300. And YES secondary runs colder and it holds the belt much better and more responsive! But The primary slips!! Thats why I´m changing to the ramps with flatter tail that makes it shift out harder! 427-410-228.. Shift harder from midrange to upper in that order.

I dont understand at all what you are getting upset about??? I have the spring U recommend in it already.. Just asked if SOMEONE has played with the clutching and if its worth it trying to get the "mostly stock" clutching to work with some tweeking! Which means not changing helix! Cheeezzz... Lighten up!
 

·
Members
Joined
·
693 Posts
Wait...I'm confuzed didn't he say he put in a purple secondary spring

"Has anyone thried something simmilar to this setup? Clutches get way HOT! I threw in a purple secondary spring and it holds rpm much better. But primary slips waay to much and black lines aswell.. Now, I dont have any heavier pins. Is it possible to drill and thread the solid ones and make em adjustable so I can weigh them down more? "

I just looked back and realized that.....???
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
29,677 Posts
KJ Motorsports said:
Wait...I'm confuzed didn't he say he put in a purple secondary spring

"Has anyone thried something simmilar to this setup? Clutches get way HOT! I threw in a purple secondary spring and it holds rpm much better. But primary slips waay to much and black lines aswell.. Now, I dont have any heavier pins. Is it possible to drill and thread the solid ones and make em adjustable so I can weigh them down more? "

I just looked back and realized that.....???
[snapback]690156[/snapback]​
I guess I was confused too, when I read where it clearly says:

Setup is: violet/violet spring, 427 ramps and 17 gram pins. Secondary: 47/44 and a black spring.

I missed the part about adding the purple spring - and I read it more than once.
Did I miss it or was that edited in later...
Either way, apparently the purple spring has been tried so sorry for the confusion and good luck...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MX-Z Man said:
I guess I was confused too, when I read where it clearly says:

Setup is: violet/violet spring, 427 ramps and 17 gram pins. Secondary: 47/44 and a black spring.

I missed the part about adding the purple spring - and I read it more than once.
Did I miss it or was that edited in later...
Either way, apparently the purple spring has been tried so sorry for the confusion and good luck...
[snapback]690649[/snapback]​
Hehe.. NOT edited. Its on the 9th row from the top. I guess I rambled on to much and you guys didnt read it all... ? Anyway.. Seems there arent many on here that have experimented with the 600ho... Try some new things this weekend, IF theirs some snow left...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
29,677 Posts
Jonsson said:
MX-Z Man said:
I guess I was confused too, when I read where it clearly says:

Setup is: violet/violet spring, 427 ramps and 17 gram pins. Secondary: 47/44 and a black spring.

I missed the part about adding the purple spring - and I read it more than once.
Did I miss it or was that edited in later...
Either way, apparently the purple spring has been tried so sorry for the confusion and good luck...
[snapback]690649[/snapback]​
Hehe.. NOT edited. Its on the 9th row from the top. I guess I rambled on to much and you guys didnt read it all... ? Anyway.. Seems there arent many on here that have experimented with the 600ho... Try some new things this weekend, IF theirs some snow left...

[snapback]691894[/snapback]​
Good luck. We're hurting in the snow department too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,339 Posts
Jonsson said:
MX-Z Man said:
Hey, do what you want. You asked and I offered. I've done it and it works. If you want to ignore the suggestion and keep buying belts, go ahead. If it were my money (and it was, so I did) I'd be buying a new secondary spring - TODAY.
[snapback]690125[/snapback]​
Hey... *%@??? Dont you read? I HAVE the purple 220/300 in it now! Stock black is a 160/300. And YES secondary runs colder and it holds the belt much better and more responsive! But The primary slips!! Thats why I´m changing to the ramps with flatter tail that makes it shift out harder! 427-410-228.. Shift harder from midrange to upper in that order.

I dont understand at all what you are getting upset about??? I have the spring U recommend in it already.. Just asked if SOMEONE has played with the clutching and if its worth it trying to get the "mostly stock" clutching to work with some tweeking! Which means not changing helix! Cheeezzz... Lighten up!
[snapback]690150[/snapback]​
Use the 410 ramps and 200-290 primary spring, you can use anywhere from stock pins on clicker 3 to 18.5 pins on clicker 4or 5 depending on conditions. Your primary will be cool and keep the purple spring in the secondary you will have great backshift.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jeb said:
Use the 410 ramps and 200-290 primary spring, you can use anywhere from stock pins on clicker 3 to 18.5 pins on clicker 4or 5 depending on conditions. Your primary will be cool and keep the purple spring in the secondary you will have great backshift.
[snapback]693629[/snapback]​
Haha.. What a coinsidence! I ordered the 200-290 spring today! =) Thats exactly what Im gonna try tomorrow! Gonna drillout the pins, thread em so I can weigh them down abit and click up to get some adjustability. #1 isnt a good place to be.. Hopefully it´ll rock and NOT burn up the belt..

Thx!
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top