Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
97 formula III 600
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all ,I've been trying to resurrect a fire wreck that I acquired and at the final stage now. Thanks to all the great info and advice here, I've managed to synch the carbs, replaced ignition wires, new plugs, all fuel and oil lines, throttle and choke cables. Carbs have been cleaned .
Now the problem
It starts and idles seemingly fine but hit the throttle and it bogs, backfires and smokes like crazy ! I'm not sure whether I should be concerned about ignition or a over oiling problem or just light the damn thing on fire again and be done with it !!
Can't find any info on adjusting oil pump or any specific oil I should use.
Any help would be greatly appreciated . Mike

·
Registered
97 formula III 600
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Carbs have been cleaned extremely well. I never seen it run before I acquired it so can't say if there was a previous problem. Fire was caused by broken primer lines that were installed instead of replacing choke cable . Was quite a bit of damage but everything seems to be working. Not loosing spark but fouling plugs. Excessive smoke makes me wonder about oil issues, maybe ?
PS I used a little bit of outboard oil until I find out what is the best to use.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
First things first. Remove, drain and clean your oil tank. Then go to your Ski Doo dealer and buy a gallon of Ski Doo injection oil.
Do you have a shop manual for this sled? If not get one. The procedure for adjusting the oil pump is outlined in the manual along with pictures.

·
Registered
97 formula III 600
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The closest Doo dealer is 1.5 hrs away. Is there any aftermarket oil that will work ?
No shop manual.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
The closest Doo dealer is 1.5 hrs away. Is there any aftermarket oil that will work ?
No shop manual.
There are many quality 2 stroke oils you can use. Amsoil Interceptor is popular around here and should be easy to find.

Send me your email and I will send you the shop manual...after golf.

·
Registered
97 formula III 600
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check your choke/enrichener cable adjustment for proper free play...
Check your choke/enrichener cable adjustment for proper free play...
Already got caught off guard by that due to aftermarket cables, because no longer available from Doo. Both throttle and enrichment cables are slightly different and required extra attention. Might be the same issue with oil pump cable, maybe. I'm fairly determined to win this battle with the help and advice from this site.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Did you replace the air filter foam? If so this could be causing your problem. I’ve seen that if you don’t use the course foam it will cause the exact thing your experiencing.

·
Registered
97 formula III 600
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you replace the air filter foam? If so this could be causing your problem. I’ve seen that if you don’t use the course foam it will cause the exact thing your experiencing.
No way I would put the air boxes back on till it runs right. Will have to take a look at the filters when I do though.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
No way I would put the air boxes back on till it runs right. Will have to take a look at the filters when I do though.
Depending upon the jetting, in some cases these triples don't run right unless the air boxes are on.
Have you put the right oil in the tank and attempted to adjust the oil pump calibration?

·
Registered
97 formula III 600
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Depending upon the jetting, in some cases these triples don't run right unless the air boxes are on.
Have you put the right oil in the tank and attempted to adjust the oil pump calibration?
I've had this thing apart and back together to many times to add extra aggravation with the boxes. Thanks to David H ,I have the shop manual to figure out what the hell I'm doing.. We are in the midst of a heatwave right now and not in any mood to argue with it yet.
Will definitely get oil before going any further. It appears that the oil pump is close enough according to the shop manual. Found one of the enrichment plungers sticking as well, so off with a carb AGAIN.
Been quite a challenge getting all the damage repaired so far. My first triple as well so bit of a learning curve. I really hope all the aggravation pays off in the end.

·
Registered
262 Posts
First notch on enrichener lever should open plungers about half way, full on and the plungers should be flush and no longer visible... cycle the lever slightly and check for some free play this will insure the plungers are fully seated in the off position. That one plunger could be your problem....

·
Registered
97 formula III 600
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First notch on enrichener lever should open plungers about half way, full on and the plungers should be flush and no longer visible... cycle the lever slightly and check for some free play this will insure the plungers are fully seated in the off position. That one plunger could be your problem....
I'm really hoping that it is the problem. Don't really see anything else wrong but still have to check and maybe clean RAVES . Only has 9,000 k (4,500 m) on it.

·
Registered
97 formula III 600
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Wellllll Grrrrrrr !!!
Proper oil ,fresh gas ,plunger fixed and still only running on cyl #3 with the other 2 sort of trying and fouling !!!!
I'm running out of ideas here.
Got lots of spark
125 lb compression on all 3
Raves move freely .

Should I tear apart Reed valves ??

Would a crank seal on flywheel side take down 2 cylinders ??

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Did you try new spark plug boots? Or even the wire? Ive seen it where you have spark under no load but under pressure inside the cylinder there was nothin.

·
Registered
97 formula III 600
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Did you try new spark plug boots? Or even the wire? Ive seen it where you have spark under no load but under pressure inside the cylinder there was nothin.
Boots appear alright, lots of spark.
Wires and plugs are new.
Carbs cleaned and synced
ALL fuel lines new
New oil lines
Carb boots soft and no cracks
Oil pump set to specs

1 - 20 of 122 Posts