Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need new plug wires for my 77' TnT 440. I was looking at the NGK wires and noticed they have 5k ohm resistor built in. The only plugs available are non resistor AB8. Are the original wires with resistor?

I have a problem with it dropping a cylinder after my 10 year old driving it for 10-15 minutes. When I get on the sled and show it "the whip" and it runs great, but after he drives it (much more conservative than I do) it fouls a plug again.

The plug wires are old so I'm going to replace them before I get too serious with trying to prevent the fouling issue.

I was thinking of trying a "hotter" AB7 plug as well, but then started wondering if maybe the lack or presence of a resistor might help or make worse?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Resistor wires and plugs are required for CDI ignitions only. If you have points and condensers (which you probably do), they run better with non resistor wires or plugs. Most everyone runs resistor plugs to not interfere with peoples' radios and TVs and such. I run non resistor plugs on older sleds and don't worry about it! I, like you, also run hotter plug(s) for slow riders.

Rene

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
The resistor is actually in the cap not the wire itself. You may well be wanting to try one range hotter plug when your son is putting around and monitor what it looks like.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Use solid core/copper wire that is non resistor wires for point sleds. It is sold by the foot and quite reasonable.
Non-resistor caps can be used but NGK 1K ohm LB01EP caps are what I use on all my point sleds.

s-l1600.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts