Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have decided to sell my current IceAttakXT; with only about 400mi on it, to my neighbor for his '02 MXZ800 to replace his stock 1" track with. He gets stuck even more than I do...

The IceAttakXT is really a great track and does everything that I realistically expected it to. Better in loose snow than the 1" Predator, able to slide around corners, hooks very well (I think) on packed & slightly loose trails, felt safe on the lake once this winter, and on hard surfaces, etc. One area where it doesn't SHINE is in deeper snow; but it's not a deep lug track, and it's on a heavy, high HP sled.

We got great snow around here this year (comparatively), and it left me wanting more bite while floating thru deeper, untracked fields. It wasn't inadequate, just not quite enough. Also; on my one short trip to Traverse City, venturing into some light off trail stuff, I was out of my league and a meatier track would've certainly helped. Although intriguing, I still don't know what my top speed is...hard to get to in the environment I ride in. Stock gearing, '06 clutching.

So...

1.5" Intense, 1.75" Backcountry, 1.6" Ice Cobra with different drivers?

I've also considered going to the 9t extroverts to counter the gearing change, for clearance, and to reduce ratcheting.

Everyone's thoughts??

·
Premium Member
27,904 Posts
Intense 1.5

Intense 1.5 in.jpg

Back Country / Back Country X 1.75

Back Country - Back Country X 1.75.jpg

Not sure if the Ice Cobra 1.6 comes in a 121

DooTalk link

Ice Cobra 1.6.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have a 1.875 on my 440 and it's pretty good in the deep stuff. The paddles are cupped and move some serious snow. I'll snap some picture tonight after work. It kills my top end. I can only turn 74 mph in 500 feet. I've been thinking about selling it or trading it for a 1.5 so I can put studs in a 1.5 track.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Put a 136 on it and get it over with. I'm at a loss how any of you guys can even ride a 121" sled, unless you never leave the glass smooth hardpack trails, which is a shame if that's the case
If/when I buy a second sled, it'll definitely be a Renegade- the only one I've ridden has been a 600, and it felt great overall. I just don't think I want to extend this one. I think I'll be plenty happy with some additional traction.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 1.875 on my 440 and it's pretty good in the deep stuff. The paddles are cupped and move some serious snow. I'll snap some picture tonight after work. It kills my top end. I can only turn 74 mph in 500 feet. I've been thinking about selling it or trading it for a 1.5 so I can put studs in a 1.5 track.
I know a buddy of mine had a ProXR 440 with the 1.75" snowcross track, and it was a rocket...but like yours, it had no top end. Speed is definitely not an issue with the Mach; I'm sure I'll lose some, but I'm hoping the added traction and 'hook' will be worth it. I'm never strictly on ice or situations where all out speed is everything anyway.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Well I had my 159x2.1 well into the 90mph area of the gauge the other day, 06 springs 433 ramps 16.8g pin weight and 24/49 gears. Not to mention I can carry the skis 2 feet off the ground going through a field of cat tails 6 feet deep. If anyone wants to have fun get the he!! Off the trails and have fun. IMO anything less than a 146 isn't enough

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Well I had my 159x2.1 well into the 90mph area of the gauge the other day, 06 springs 433 ramps 16.8g pin weight and 24/49 gears. Not to mention I can carry the skis 2 feet off the ground going through a field of cat tails 6 feet deep. If anyone wants to have fun get the he!! Off the trails and have fun. IMO anything less than a 146 isn't enough
Damn! The thing is NY doesn't get the snow it use too otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to put a 146 on mine. I'm going with a 136x1.25 with 198 studs .575 over the lug and hope it hooks hard on the hill...... I remember about 14 years ago its was common to see a 8 foot snow drift wrap around the back side of my parents house. I would go through it with my little 340 or 440 fan and pray I would make it through the other side. I also remember getting my little 440 fan stuck almost vertical in the back field because we would have 4-5 feet of snow by mid winter. Those days are long gone now.

·
Premium Member
27,904 Posts
I may be willing to trade with someone who so desperately wants a Gade. Just know that I will not trade back once my butt hits the Mach ;)

·
Premium Member
27,904 Posts
I get tired very quickly when riding the Gade. For me it is twice the effort when riding the trails in the twisties. For those who have ridden it, they have said the weight and length was a major disadvantage and found no thrill. We, as in the neighborhood, have all ridden Gades in the past with the lighter REV chassis, and have noticed the increased effort for no gain to speak of on the trails. However, others in the past have posted having enjoyed their Gade, and in the other forums they seem to be enjoying theirs very much. I guess one should try it first to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I only had maybe 15mi on my buddy's...not enough of a test, but I didn't mind it.

Should I be considering 9t drivers for clearance with a 1.75? I still have tunnel protectors, by the way.

·
Premium Member
27,904 Posts
You and I have been thinking the same 1.75 track and 9T extrovert since last season. The only difference is perhaps I may consider moving to a 128 track. Maybe this week-end I will swap the suspension for a 121 and see just how bad the cooling gets with the snow flap further back from the end of the track.

Max, any advice?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
No reason to switch drivers, for the money I would rather keep the 10T drivers and buy a tensioner, chain and gears so you have some adjustability. I really liked my 136x1.75 with 27/49 gearing. I have 10T drivers on my 2.1" track and it fits reasonable well. A 1.75" track has a boatload of clearance

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No reason to switch drivers, for the money I would rather keep the 10T drivers and buy a tensioner, chain and gears so you have some adjustability. I really liked my 136x1.75 with 27/49 gearing. I have 10T drivers on my 2.1" track and it fits reasonable well. A 1.75" track has a boatload of clearance
I like where your head's at. I envision having to run the track relatively tight since my current track ratchets a bit under heavy loads. Will I have to remove my bulkhead protectors? I'm not in front of the machine right now to check clearances. I remember checking my gearing at one time against the OEM spec; which I forget what that spec is, and recall that it is stock ratio. Down one tooth on top, or add two on bottom, or???

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
1.75" Backcountry is ordered. I also found a deal on a 10t summit extrovert driver setup that I couldn't pass up, and will sell mine once I get everything swapped. I will pick up a tensioner kit and top gear from Goodwin. Down 1 tooth? Also want to have HyGear set up my rear shocks a little stiffer while everything is out. Thought about powdercoating my rails, but I might just save the coin and soda blast them to clean em up a bit.

And if you were me, what skis would you pick?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm glad you started this thread; I am replacing my track this summer as well. Leaning towards the Intense 1.5 as I ride a lot of groomed trails, but would like better hook up in the loose snow. Currently running 192 studs on the stock track and get great hook up on very hard packed trails or lake but with all of the snow this year (and hoping for the same next year!) it struggles in the looser stuff.

Any recommendaitions on stud count/size on these taller lugged tracks on the mach? I am thinking of just studding down the middle but no idea on how many...

IcutMetl - document your track change on here if you can...I am comfortable with removing the rear skid but I have never messed with removing the track/drivers/drive shaft. Im sure I can figure it out by using the shop manual and trial and error, but like everyhting else there are tricks and "gotchas" to be learned along the way.

Thanks!

Todd

1 - 20 of 28 Posts