Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Has anyone changed thier cooling setup on their 05 RT's other than removing the rear cooler? I decided to change mine to try to eliminate some weight, and make the sled run a little warmer.

My dealer had a spare 800 cooler sitting around his shop and said he would trade me for the big cooler that is in my RT. I have my stock cooler removed, but it looks like there might be a little more fabricating than I had expected. Its looking like it might be upwards of a 15 beer job. (I already have 3 invested)

Has anyone done this? Has anyone modified the stock cooler (ie. cut it off)?

I was surprised at how light the full length cooler really was. I talked to a guy that removed his completely and claims he lost 25 lbs plus coolant. It doesnt feel like it wieghts that much and it is full of coolant. Maybe Im just getting tougher though. lol

Ill have to wiegh each and decide. Ill post pics when I get a chance.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dean

·
Registered
321 Posts
djb said:
Has anyone changed thier cooling setup on their 05 RT's other than removing the rear cooler? I decided to change mine to try to eliminate some weight, and make the sled run a little warmer.

My dealer had a spare 800 cooler sitting around his shop and said he would trade me for the big cooler that is in my RT. I have my stock cooler removed, but it looks like there might be a little more fabricating than I had expected. Its looking like it might be upwards of a 15 beer job. (I already have 3 invested)

Has anyone done this? Has anyone modified the stock cooler (ie. cut it off)?

I was surprised at how light the full length cooler really was. I talked to a guy that removed his completely and claims he lost 25 lbs plus coolant. It doesnt feel like it wieghts that much and it is full of coolant. Maybe Im just getting tougher though. lol

Ill have to wiegh each and decide. Ill post pics when I get a chance.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dean
[snapback]754521[/snapback]​
Last year there was a guy that shortened his cooler to fit at 151" from a 162". Just out of curriosity I wonder if the Mach 1 has the same cooler. There doesn't seem to be any cooling issues with the Mach RT.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Does it make much of a difference where the cooler sits in the tunnel. Im guessing it is going to see a little more snow at the back of the tunnel though. Probably a better place to have the wieght too. It would probably be alot easier to just cut the back half off of the existing cooler though.

Any advice?

·
Registered
321 Posts
djb said:
Does it make much of a difference where the cooler sits in the tunnel. Im guessing it is going to see a little more snow at the back of the tunnel though. Probably a better place to have the wieght too. It would probably be alot easier to just cut the back half off of the existing cooler though.

Any advice?
[snapback]754676[/snapback]​
I'm pretty sure that is what he did. He just shortened the cooler. You would just have to fill in the hole at the back. I also think the snow would be thrown up towards the front of the cooler.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I weighed the stock cooler @ 17lbs 15 ounces........and the 800 cooler @ 9lbs.......both full of coolant. In order to put the 800 one in though I need the sheet to fill in the front half of the tunnel, and lines to run the coolant back. This stuff is probably going to be at least 4-5 lbs so Im not really saving any wieght. As far as making the sled run warmer.........I dont know if Im really running that cool anyways. I have noticed any problems I guess.

Has anyone just cut the full length one down in size? How hard of a job is this?

·
Registered
222 Posts
djb said:
Well, I weighed the stock cooler @ 17lbs 15 ounces........and the 800 cooler @ 9lbs.......both full of coolant. In order to put the 800 one in though I need the sheet to fill in the front half of the tunnel, and lines to run the coolant back. This stuff is probably going to be at least 4-5 lbs so Im not really saving any wieght. As far as making the sled run warmer.........I dont know if Im really running that cool anyways. I have noticed any problems I guess.

Has anyone just cut the full length one down in size? How hard of a job is this?
[snapback]758223[/snapback]​
Hey Dean, sorry I didn't get back to you on this. I left the front half in my tunnel because of the easier hook-up of existing hoses & ports to the exchanger. I haven't noticed much heating issues other than a icy or hardpack trail.....then I install my scratchers in the skiis & bingo....no over heating. But that being said, I wonder what is too cool or warm anyways. I'm running a temp gauge now & when i'm using the scratchers, I'm well below 1/4 on the gauge.

My .02 anyways
Murray

·
Registered
588 Posts
BIGDOG 162 said:
djb said:

Hey Dean, sorry I didn't get back to you on this. I left the front half in my tunnel because of the easier hook-up of existing hoses & ports to the exchanger. I haven't noticed much heating issues other than a icy or hardpack trail.....then I install my scratchers in the skiis & bingo....no over heating. But that being said, I wonder what is too cool or warm anyways. I'm running a temp gauge now & when i'm using the scratchers, I'm well below 1/4 on the gauge.

My .02 anyways
Murray

[snapback]769748[/snapback]​
What do you mean you install scratchers in your skis? Is this something new? any pictures? I had to put my rear cooler back on because of overheating.

·
Registered
222 Posts
hey boondocker-1, there are scratchers we have out here in golden BC that are home made 3/8 bolts with a carbide welded on the tip. we run them in our skiis. just a hole drilled on the inside corner of either ski(i run them on both skiis) they work great & you don't have to worry about backing up with them in your skiis.
there's a post on here somewhere with pics.....i'll try to find it & bring it to todays page

Murray

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey boondocker-1, i have then front cooler,the front half of the big one & that's it.....no snow flap either, & no problems. snow flap ripped off....so not really my choice, but still seems good. i was on a real icy trail last weekend & noticed it (temps) up about 3/4 on the gauge, but still not too bad. hope this helps you some what.

Murray

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BIGDOG 162 said:
djb said:

My .02 anyways
Murray

[snapback]769748[/snapback]​
No worries Bigdog..........I ran into Cowboy151 at Camrose rodeo on the weekend. I gave him your radio. Thinking about taking my sled and throwing it on the dyno.......just out of curiousity. Been tinkering on it for a couple weeks now. You have your side airbox removed dont you? Notice any difference?

When you heading out next?

·
Registered
386 Posts
djb, put my airbox back in did not find any performance gains, seemed to idle lower almost to the point where it would die if you did not give it throttle. took outer airbox apart, scrapped what was on inside, foam and tubes. Weight of airbox now 2lbs.

·
Registered
713 Posts
RT Val said:
djb, put my airbox back in did not find any performance gains, seemed to idle lower almost to the point where it would die if you did not give it throttle. took outer airbox apart, scrapped what was on inside, foam and tubes. Weight of airbox now 2lbs.
[snapback]770726[/snapback]​
Hi rt val ,but did u find any problem with throttle response wen u took it out?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hey renegade2, sled did not run as crisp as it did with the airbox on. It breathed in the warm air from the engine compartment, I am sure that did not help any. Got the airbox down to 2lbs, just going to leave it as is.
How are you guy's making out with you're sled's, seen you're thing on kamloops, you must of really liked it out here, what do you doo for a living.

·
Registered
713 Posts
RT Val said:
Hey renegade2, sled did not run as crisp as it did with the airbox on. It breathed in the warm air from the engine compartment, I am sure that did not help any. Got the airbox down to 2lbs, just going to leave it as is.
How are you guy's making out with you're sled's, seen you're thing on kamloops, you must of really liked it out here, what do you doo for a living.
[snapback]770919[/snapback]​
hi rt ,so it works good with nothing in the air box? hihi i sell water canadian spring
ya would love to move out west .right now here theres nothing to ride on ,almost ready to put the sled away for the summer

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RT Val said:
[snapback]770726[/snapback]​
Yeah,

I done the same thing RT Val. Havent had a chance to ride it yet though. I wouldnt mind getting that setup with the air ducting; just to free up the space above the clutches so I can drill some holes in the clutch cover to help cool the clutches. Specialty sleds makes a kit but they want 200 bucks for it. A little steep for this cheapskate. (for a piece of plastic and 2 feet of air ducting)

Im thinking of taking my sled over to Cowboy151's place and throwing it on the dyno. If I do I am going to take my stock can and air intake setup and do a couple of runs and just see what the differences are.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts