Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I have a '94 Formula Z that has a gouge taken out of the right heat exchanger. The former owner seems to have plugged it with JB Weld or something similar. My question is, can a hole in an exchanger be welded up without making it inoperable? I have some aluminum welding sticks and planned to weld the hole up solid. Will coolant still pass around the weld? The hole is oblong and runs lengthwise. It appears to be from a stud. The track was studded at one time. I am unfamiliar with the way heat exchangers are made but I assume they just have one chamber for coolant to flow through so a small obstructed area shouldn't completely kill it.

Thanks,

HD

·
Registered
225 Posts
Heat exchangers have Multiple "tubes" Running lengthways in them. Hot coolant flows in on One side, Runs lengthways and Keeps Looping around until it gets back to where it started. Having one of these tubes Plugged up would Stop the flow of coolant through them. If your going to weld it, (Wouldnt reccomend it, But it can be done) I would suggest Be SURE to only weld On the outside of the heat exchanger or you risk blocking the flow of coolant causing a Overheat/Seize

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
If you know how to TIG weld, you can repair it no problem. I have never used any other way to repair one. I have done a lot of these. You must put it under pressure to check the repair. Or use dye penatrant and check it that way. I like soap and water about 14 PSI.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts