Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I smoked a tree in Grand Marais this past weekend . My ? is how diff is it to replace a tunnel and front left suspension, I love my 700 motor which was undamaged . How much money for a tunnel and parts that might go along with it and time, i realize this is really vague but i need input for a decision to make for a possible major project this summer or just suck it up and buy new.
thanks
ckoz

·
Registered
640 Posts
Find a used tunnel and bulkhead, I bought the 02 x frame the sled in my avatar is built on for 100.00 off ebay.even if you spend 300.00 on one and switch the parts it will still be cheaper that buying a new one.you will have some hours in it but it will be worth it.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Depends bud. Do you know how to swap a tunnel? Swapping tunnels at a dealer is about 10 hours I think.
I just bought a tunnel for 200.00. The swap requires lots of drilling or grinding of rivets. Probably going to take me 12 solid hours with a doo mechanic in my garage.
It's a tough job.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
rampage said:
Finding a sled with a junk motor might be the way to go. If you're going to put a new tunnel on, buy a pneumatic riviter, it will save you alot of time and tendonitis, and the rivits will be tighter. You won't be able to use it everywhere, but it will still save a bunch of time. Make sure to use the right rivits in the right spots. Get the rivits from a dealer or a rivit supply shop, not just at the hardware store, you want to use the right ones.
[snapback]694067[/snapback]​
Good rivets are key.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I gotta agree on the rivets.....the OEM Doo rivets are called piercing rivets...there is only a hole in one of the two parts, then the rivet is smashed into the second part...the mushroomed shape of the rivet and deformation in the second part holds it all together...Great for manufacturing, horrible for repairs. As a result, getting the bulk head removed from the tunnel sucks....or removing any bracket for that matter.

I moved some suspension brackets on my sled for an SC3 retrofit. I got Stainless steel rivets. There are also coated structural steel rivets, like Magnalock and so on. DON'T use the crappy plain steel or aluminum rivets from the hardware store. I sourced rivets from our hardware supplier at my company...but you can check ebay, Grainger, Fastenall, Motion Industries....google it, I am sure you'll find something.

I'd check around for a complete used tunnel, or as someone mentioned a sled witha bad/no motor, tehy come up somewhat often.....ebay, dootalk classifieds, monkeyads.com. Or, part the sled out and buy another....it sucks to have to sell your baby in such a way, but your time is worth something too, and the season is short.

Good luck..
Good luck.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I would just find you a bulkhead and tunnel to put your parts on. Its not that difficult just time consuming. You'll learn every inch of your sled doing it. I just sold a 00 zx tunnel and chassis for 150.00.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks you guys as it works out the insurance didnt total her out said she had a grand to play with so maybe the damage wasnt as bad as i thought .
i think i just might get a junk sled to mess around on so i can get thehang of more involved tinkering
ckoz

·
Registered
127 Posts
For the most part, I've always done my own mechanical work. Over the last 5 years I've done a lot more work on sled then I used to. I even bought a crashed 670 HO and fixed it up.

Last weekend I spent about 10 hours changing the oxygen sensors on my Ford Expedition. I'm convinced, there is NOTHING on a sled that can be as difficult and as much of a PITA as even seeminly simple tasks on a late model vehicle.

This weekend? plugs on the Expy
I'd rather rebuild a sled!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts