Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I have read the other threads... Realistically I ride 90-95% on trail. I live in SE WI. I LOVE powder riding but the truth is I don't get to do it very often. I sure love it when I do. Most of my friends are not set up for off trail which further limits my ability to go off trail. When I do go off trail I have gotten stuck because I couldn't turn quick enough through the trees. I ordered a '14 800R Adrenalin. However, I am thinking maybe I should have got a BCX. Here are the variables: 1. Either way going with a 1.5 Charger Track. 2. I have a ROX riser so riser up either way. (and adding a grab bar) 3. Probably gearing down 1 or 2 so Gearing same either way. 3. I will probably change the ski's the same either way. So it comes down to this A. Further forward foot position (which I just found out about this morning), and B. Narrower stance. These are the only differences in the end I can see. I have read the threads - most seem to say it handles well enough on trail. Some say no they would go with a "traditional" Renegade - they do notice the handling. I am okay with changing the skis and skegs as people have said. I feel like I should get a BCX but everyone says 90% trail (more realistically prob 95%) - go Renegade. Thoughts? My sled has not arrived I am sure my dealer would let me switch to a BCX if I wanted. Again sorry for reposting this topic but I feel my case is a little different than everyone else.

Thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bottom line I felt a little bit better handling in the twisties is worth it vs handling in the pow. No matter how you set it up if you do the same with a wider stance it would handle better right? I think the rare time I do get to go off trail and get stuck I will wish I had the narrower stance. This is truly agonizing!

·
Registered
959 Posts
go traditional, flip up your rear stoppers when off trail, wider skis, 1.5 track, youll be "fine" for the amount of off trail it sounds like you do. a bunch of people i ride with started with renegades, myself included and have converted them to backcountry sleds as we spend more and more time off trail.

Reactions: Bladeguy

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
one more variable - I am a very aggressive rider - I like to hit the twisties as fast as I can (staying on my side of course). So trail manners are important.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I would say you have made the right choose for 95% of trail.I ride 60% off trail and love the BC with the 1.75 track,and it still handles very well on the trails.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I had all shorties prior to my 2012 BCX. I live on a river that is approx. 5 miles from the nearest groomed trails, thus thought the BCX would be the ultimate. There was decent snow in 2012 and had a blast on the river banks and local fields and trails. My BCX had a 1.5 Charger track w/ no studs.

When I went trail riding on groomed trails I found it very unpredictable through the twisties due to front end push, compared to the previous XRS I had. The 1.5 track also had a rougher, noisier ride to it compared to the 120/ 1.25 track with 84 studs. There was no doubt other setups on the suspension and skis that I have not tried to make the BCX better for trail, but if you are doing 80 percent or more running groomed trails and twisties, I would go with a shorty X or XRS, and for a bit of off trail you could definitely go with a Gade with a 1.2 track.

This is just my experience between two different purpose built sleds.

I have never had more fun than my 1200 Gade X with boost, on the trails that is.

Good luck

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I like a strong wholeshot and good off trail performance. I don't care about my accelleration over 95 - although I want to be able to go 100 if I want without too much problem. Should I gear down 1 or 2 teeth for the new 1.5 track? Do I need a clutching change?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I think you chose wisely. Get a machine for where you ride not where you want to ride. Another thing that will help you off trail and won't hurt its trail manors is the quick disconnect for the sway bar and possibly a taller riser if needed gives you more leverage. Good luck and have fun

Sent from my iPhone using http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts