Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After discovering that two up riding isn't going to work for us, my wife picked up one of these on Saturday. She was able to put 70+ miles on it and loves it. Did both some trail and off trail riding. It did surprisingly well off trail in the deep snow around Grand Marais, MI. Haven't done any suspension adjustments yet but we will get some more seat time first. The 600 ace isn't a burner but it's plenty for her and where we ride.
12c88c8f20fd5a76b9af2f96c8f35b76.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Congrats on the purchase and great to hear that she really likes it. I personally think this is an excellent sled for the money and the 600 Ace brings a lot to the table. Most importantly is durability and reliability. That is a sled you can keep for a really long time. Would be great to get some updates after she get's some miles on it.

·
Registered
839 Posts
One of the nicer color schemes this year. Congrats.

mike

Reactions: 2006LJ

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Were gonna put some miles on the sleds this weekend. Maybe she will let me ride it some. Not likely though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I looked at several other sleds and I really thought this was a great value. Considered a Renegade Sport in the 600 carb but really wanted the ace motor. Even considered the Polaris Voyager but the quote I got on their 155" 550 fan was a few hundred more. I think the 155" track wasn't what she needed and again, I wanted the 4 stroke for economy and longevity. I do believe this is something we will have for quite some time to come.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Considering one of these for 2021. Currently have a 120" track MXZ .

When off trail snow fills this suspension so much that when back on trail the rear arm of the suspension is restricted and ride quality goes way down. Does this happen with this suspension?

What's the ride quality like on bumpy trails? We know this is not an Rmotion suspension, has lesser quality shocks and that trail speed has an effect on suspension settings. How do you find the ride?

Thanks in advance for any feed back

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the wife hasn't let me ride it much yet but I'll get my chance. She grew up in Tennessee so not a real experienced rider but she did have a 98' two up 20 years ago. Obviously the two are night and day. On some moderately rough trails she said she was comfortable. Actually I had to tell her to slow down a bit until she got some more seat time and was used to how her new sled handled. Off trail we were in I would guess 3 feet or so of snow at times. She got "stuck" two times but that was from inexperience. I hopped off my sled and drove it right out. One of the reasons we went with this sled was the SC-5M suspension. From what I've read, this is uncoupled and was used on the base summit models for some years. My thinking is that would lend it to more of an on/off trail machine. We tend to ride logging roads, two tracks and off trail as much as possible but will still plan a day of trail riding to have lunch somewhere. I'll try and give a report as we get more opportunities to ride this year.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well we went riding last Saturday and about 3 hrs. into the ride I asked the wife if she would like to swap with me so I could ride her new Rene Gen4. She said "no, I need to get used to it more". I think she was having fun! She has a team building thing at work coming up in a couple of weeks and I'll just have to take it out then. We ran some trails but did quite a bit off trail. The snow wasn't deep, but was soft and deep enough for a couple of 2 strokes to trench going up some good size hills through the woods. The better riders didn't have a problem. Me having the 900 ace and knowing how it operates I told my wife to put her sled in eco mode and just crawl up the hill. Worked to perfectly. I really like these ace motors and the gearing.

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Any other pros/cons? Im thinking about picking one of these up this weekend or next. Coming off 05 Rev 500ss so it will be a world of difference for me at first I bet haha. I think it would be the pefect sled for around here in N IL. Like you said, the SC5M is nicer for deep ditch riding over the SC3 I bet and I think its remarkably light at 470.lbs dry. 30.lbs lighter than a 900ace adrenaline. Ill upgrade the shocks over the summer.

How is the gauge screen to see? I see its smaller than the other upgraded screen.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I rented this sled for a 3 day trip last weekend. Awesome sled IMO. I had a 2011 600 ACE TNT for 8 years and loved the smooth, torquey, light handling of that sled. The 2020 gade turned out to be no different. Th bonus is it had a better ride with the longer track. It took a little getting used to the ITC throttle. I found it jerkey for the first few kms but I got used to it eventually. This sled will likely be my next purchase. With all of the attributes I mentioned plus the low cost of operation, this sled fits the bill for me!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got a little seat time on the wife's 2020 Renegade Sport 600 ACE yesterday. The sled I have for comparison is my 2019 Gen4 Expedition Sport with the 900 ACE. Obviously much different. The Renegade is of course much lighter. I didn't change her set up other than cranking up the rear springs one notch. For me I found it very comfortable and it handled the moderate bumps very well. The trails I was riding has a fair amount of twistys and it handled them well. I tend to hang off the sled in the turns but I think that is the way to ride the Gen4. Not much deep stuff around here but we will get into some of that in a couple of weeks in the UP. This thing is so quiet. Most of the ride the thing I seemed to hear most were the skis slapping the trail. Also being so quiet you don't realize your speed at times. It's plenty quick for our type of riding and fast enough. I had it up to 68 on a straight according to the speedo. Anyhow I think this is a great choice for my wife. I had fun riding it and will most likely take it out some more. I do prefer my Expedition Sport as I've been able to get it set up just right for me. A couple of things I might consider adding this summer are a set of DS2 skis and the radiator with fan add-on. We do a fair amount of UP riding in deep snow and crawling around. The 600 Ace is geared very well for that but I'm not sure it would have enough cooing and flotation for that type of riding. Overall a great value for the $8,950 plus tax and registration.

·
boost junkie
10,603 Posts
the suspension on the tiny 600 is only available on a few entry level sleds

and is prehistoric compared to the r-motion

one other odd feature is it having only 1 heat exchanger, none in the front of the track

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the suspension on the tiny 600 is only available on a few entry level sleds
and is prehistoric
My Mom's prehistoric but it doesn't make her obsolete!

From what I've heard, the R-Motion is head and shoulders above the SC5M. The same could be said of the SC5U in my Expedition Sport. If I were more of a trail rider I might care but everything I've read about the R-Motion is it is a trail suspension due to it being coupled. The SC5M and SC5U are uncoupled and supposed to be able to be set up for deep snow better. My only experience is with the uncoupled suspension so I'm no expert. They work well for my purpose as I usually only ride trails to get to the logging roads and back country. It may be different for others. As far as cooling, I had no issue yesterday riding the trails and logging roads. Even did a small amount of weaving my way through the woods. I would still consider the radiator and fan simply because when riding with friends last year there were a couple of occasions where their 2 strokes were overheating due to the snow conditions while I on my Expedition Sport had zero issues.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My 900 ace and 900t both ran at normal operating temps when other sleds in the group had to stop due to overheating. 1100turbo, 800 cat, 800 assault. All run hot and my 900s with or without scratchers hardly heat up. I think these engines just run cool or don't need as much cooling. I am guessing no additional rads would be needed and not worth the expense, a sets of scratchers would probably solve any heat issues.

Looking at parts breakdown the rad is the same on 600, 900, 900t.

·
Registered
370 Posts
R motion is better on junk than the SC5 however the R motion trade off is its super boring. I wish there was a C motion available in a 137 for Renegades.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I’m ordering my wife a 2021 renegade 600 ace. She likes the throttle , likes it can be turned to use fingers to give thumb a rest. Will get the 2 up line seat so our 11 year old daughter can ride on occasion ,

1 - 20 of 41 Posts