Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think almost everyone agrees that the oem 1.25 ripsaw 1 sucks. Mine needs to be replaced this season but I'm looking for some input before spending the money. I bought this machine for 80/20 on/off trail in the UP of Michigan. The off trail will consist of flat land 2 tracks and cross country. The sled is a former rental with 12k miles. I have a summit for the UP's more challenging riding.

At first I was thinking about buying a new 1.5, either a ripsaw 2, 150 storm/ice storm, or maybe a composit C38.

After checking out used tracks, I'm now tempted to buy a used ripsaw 2 1.25 from a Yamaha sidewinder or a cobra 1.3 from a Polaris because they can be found for half the price of a new track.

My only experience with a track swap is going from the stock 3/4 or 1" on an 02 mxz 700x to a 1.5 intense, which I had no regrets. I love that 1.5 though, which makes me second guess staying with 1.25 on the renegade.

So my questions:

How much performance and traction would I be giving up by buying a used 1.25/1.3 for half the price of a new 1.5?

How much of an upgrade over the ripsaw 1 will the same height ripsaw 2 or cobra be?

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
After alot of research earlier this year, I went with the Storm 2 ply and studded it. Reviews are great and feel it will give me what I want, additional traction. Buying a used track can be tricky, you do not know how it was used and real mileage on track.

Bob

·
Registered
75 Posts
To add to Bobs comments about how it’s used and mileage I would add how it was stored in the off season. I have had a number of friends who have had tracks come apart that we’re not that old, the common thread in each was being stored in an enclosed trailer that sat in the sun. I can’t help but wonder if if those conditions destroy the track due to high heat. That my .02 cents. Tom

·
Registered
88 Posts
After alot of research earlier this year, I went with the Storm 2 ply and studded it. Reviews are great and feel it will give me what I want, additional traction. Buying a used track can be tricky, you do not know how it was used and real mileage on track.

Bob
Why stud yourself instead of getting the ice storm?

Good point on unknown track condition, I didn't think of that and that is enough to sway me towards a new track.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Ice Storm has very few studs, I wanted more traction than the factory ones would have provided. I had a factory Iceripper 1.25 on the sled originally and that has alot more studs than the Ice Storm. I studded my Ice Ripper to get additional traction.

Bob

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I decided to go with the ice storm 150. I haven't ran a studded track in almost 15 years and have done fine. I figure it's a good compromise between no studs and aftermarket ones all while not voiding the warranty.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I just picked up a 2019 Renegade 900.

Anybody have any suggestions for a non-studded track? There are several reason a studded or ice ripper track won't work. I ride 70% trails and 30% lakes. Snow is pretty deep on the lakes. My Yamaha and AC have 1.6" and 1.5" tracks. Anybody run with these?

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
The storm comes in 2 versions, two ply unstudded and single ply pre-studded.

Bob

·
Registered
361 Posts
The Storm 1.5" is what is on my Arctic Cat. My Yamaha has the Cobra 1.6". Both appear to fit on a Doo Renegade.

Sounds like 2 ply is a more durable track?

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
The Cobra has had durability issues, lots of failures last season. It's a soft lug track and is better suited for off trail ridding.

Bob

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have about 300 trail miles on the prestudded ice storm 150 and I love it. I feel a lot safer coming into the unexpected icy patch or corner. The studding isn't overly aggressive, just enough to give you some control without pushing into the corners

If you want a 1.5 and no studs I would recommend the non studded Storm 150 mentioned above or possibly the ripsaw 2. Those were my choices before I went prestudded.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I put the 1.6 Ice cobra on the Renegade and it seems to work pretty well. That and snow trackers makes it a confidence builder with no darting or excessive sliding around on ice.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
With your Ice Cobra, keep you tunnel free of ice or you will loose lugs, this track is better suited for off trail riding.

Bob

·
Registered
119 Posts
Bar549 Hey Bob, now that you have some miles on your new Storm 150 2 ply how do you like it? Would you do it again? What stud did you choose and how many 90 on your 129"?? I am about to pull trigger on same track for 137" Renegade. Would love your input. Thanks

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Bar549 Hey Bob, now that you have some miles on your new Storm 150 2 ply how do you like it? Would you do it again? What stud did you choose and how many 90 on your 129"?? I am about to pull trigger on same track for 137" Renegade. Would love your input. Thanks
I used Woody's GMP-1575 studs with double digger backers. Four studs every other bar 129 inch track. By doing this you will have one extra bar empty next to each other, no vibration. Have done this on other track with no issues.

Wanted more traction than I was getting from my 1.25 pre-studded ripsaw with added trail studs 2 per bar. So I did some research and decided the Storm 150 2 ply with double backers and 4 studs every other bar was what I wanted. Checked weight of both tracks with studs installed and the Storm 150 was 2 ozs lighter, virtually the same weight as the one ply pre-studded Ripsaw with added studs.. This track just plain ROCKS, I have never had traction on snow like this before. When I used to hit a rise and nail it, it would spin, now it grabs, pulls the skis and launches you off the top of the rise. If you are thinking about a new track, for trail riding or some off trail excursions, this track will not disappoint. This track has a lug height of 1.25 on the outside and 1.50 in the middle with large stiff lugs/scoops. If you want traction for trail riding, this track will put a smile on your face.

I would not hesitate to do it again.

Bob

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks Bob. Done. I just ordered the track. Aren't the GMP-1575 studs for single ply tracks? The Storm 150 is a 2 ply. What's the advantage of going 4 every other row vs 2 every row?

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Sorry, posted wrong stud, should be GDP6-1575-L. As far as pattern, I wanted to try something different.

Bob

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thought so but wanted to verify. Thanks Bob. I can't wait to try this new track out. I know it will make a big difference from my 1.25 slipsaw.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts