Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to have a custom rack made to mount on the back of my 2016 Tundra LT utilizing the LinQ system. The problem is that the factory cargo rack is in the way. I want to remove the rack but then is there a different tail light housing/kit that I can get to replace the one that is mounted with the factory cargo rack? I would like to have a low profile tail light like you see any any of the other ski-doos that don't have that rear cargo rack.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just did the opposite. Replaced summit low profile stop light added rack from Expy Sport. The light house it's self was interchangeable.
Two beer swap out at most. You will need a different snow flap, tundras is longer. Good luck

·
Registered
219 Posts
Glad to hear you got that thing swapped P.C! Saw -20 at the cabin this weekend. Hope you enjoy warmer temps where you're headed. As for the question... find a wrecked summit or order a summit tail housing and you can make it fit after removing the rack. I deleted the rack on my Expy sport (that's how CunningP got to add one to his summit), and then I just mounted the light directly on the tunnel. I used two metal roofing screws w/ the foam washer and screwed them in from the underside of the tunnel into the housing of the light. Then, I place the 40L LinQ box over that and I have one custom looking utility sled. It's true, I can't put an action packer on the tunnel anymore, but I was able to fit the 40L box and the large semi-rigid LinQ in front of that. Look up my other posts for pics.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any idea where I can order a summit tail housing from? And is the snow flap all part of that? Will I need to get a different snow flap like Cunningp said?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm in the process of removing the taillight and rack from my Expedition Sport and installing a Rene taillight and Linq. Check out the parts diagrams. All I needed was the bezel, LED light, 4 screws and the harness. About $100 or so if I remember right. I did have to cut a couple of rectangular holes in the top of the tunnel for the bezel to snap into.

I happened to have a Rene on hand for reference. If you can get a buddy to show up with a Rene or a Summit so you can see it, that would help. My Sport is a 900, so the XS Chassis. Yours will be a little different. But its all workable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
You don't need part 41 - you should be able to insert the 'old' light directly into part 13. It's very easy. The snow flap will have to come off since it's riveted, but you can re-install it with 10mm bolts with lock nuts. Again, very easy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you sure? The light on my 2016 Tundra looks a lot bigger than the one that is on the summit...? I just want to make sure. So the light on my 2016 tundra lt 600 ACE will fit into the housing (part 13) on the 2016 summit...?

·
Registered
503 Posts
The light on the rack takes a bulb. The Rene one is LED. You need the replacement taillight harness that plugs into the LED light. I can send you pics tonight if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm pretty sure your light will fit into an older Summit XP housing, say something around 2010. The BRP parts site is your friend for this. I'll see if I have a few minutes to dig into it this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Okay, it looks like it would fit based on this diagram - but the housing itself does not appear to be listed as a part available...

https://www.skidooparts.com/oemparts/a/ski/500ba719f87002314436bb71/utilities

Edit: Actually it looks like pretty much any summit from 2009-2013 would be the right fit, I think it is sold all as one part with the snow guard.

Part numbers I think might work

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think you're on the right track. That should let you use the same taillight and harness.

If you want to go lower profile, then you get the smaller bezel, 4 screws, LED light, and harness from a Summit or Rene XM/XS. A little more money and work, but lower profile and no more bulb to replace.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I did the same with my Expedition and went with the Summit taillight after removing the rack. If I was doing it with a Tundra, I would look at the parts for a Tundra Extreme, which is the same chassis. May be the same, but I would use it as a reference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got a tail light off a Renegade. I had to drill out a lot of rivets and dremel some plastic tabs etc. And then re-rivet everything. I also had to cut the wires and solder the plug onto the Rene wires since it came with a different plug. But I got it all to fit like a glove and work and it looks sweet.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts