Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a newly developed hanging idle in my 600ho. 8000 miles, always had a bit of an issue but recently got worse. I picked up #20 pilots and put them in, then noticed my slides looked out of sync. I took the top of the carb off and discovered a broken spring on one side between the brass plates. It keeps tension and takes play out of the linkage. Called around no one has them on hand, so I put it back together and will order some.

My question. I didn't look at how the slides come out. Can I just slide them out the top, or do I have to take the front of the carb off? Any suggestions are appreciated. The linkages are worn too.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
I was informed I needed reading glasses by my friend,,because didnt see the little C-clip on the lower slide post,,back a few years ago

They come out the top,,little playing,,remove the needles 1st

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I happened to be wearing my cheaters and noticed that little clip. Wondered how someone could put it back on in that little space. Not much room in there. I did see the posts have a hex head, but that is small too, maybe 5 or 6 mm?

So all I need to do is remove the needle, then unthread that top post? Then carefully slide them out the top?

Thanks

·
Registered
224 Posts
I grabbed this pic from the other guys post,,looks like you can remove the top post and pull it out

Looks better than fiddling with that clip? And losing it?lol
Yeah all I did was unscrew the post and you have to kinda pull it away from where it was screwed in and pull it back its a tight fit but it comes out then you just pull the slide up and out

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Too late for this weekends ride, but I have a plan. Ordered new springs and plates. Did more research and found homemade plates. I don't have the skills to machine some at home.
I read of using small washers/spacers to slide the plates over to fresh unworn post areas. Will try that.
Any reason that I couldn't also keep the worn plates in standard location, but install the new plates just inboard of them? The old plates would act to keep new ones on fresh post.

Tried uploading a pic but was too large.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I happened to be wearing my cheaters and noticed that little clip. Wondered how someone could put it back on in that little space. Not much room in there. I did see the posts have a hex head, but that is small too, maybe 5 or 6 mm?

So all I need to do is remove the needle, then unthread that top post? Then carefully slide them out the top?

Thanks
You want to make sure you have those springs. They take the slack out of the linkage and keep everything from rattling apart. One of those clips could rattle right off the shaft and the linkage could fall apart.

I was about 15 km from the truck and about 15 km from the campsite on day one of a 4 day buffalo hunt when my sled would idle fine, but sounded almost like it was running on one cylinder at any throttle opening. Some trail side investigation led me to realize there was an issue in the left carb. I decided to turn the clickers on the clutch up to six so I could use what power I had and ride the rest of the way to the campsite. An 800 on one cylinder is actually pretty rideable (this is not the only time I have learned this).

Once camp was setup, I pulled the carbs off and discovered that when I twisted the throttle cam, only the right slide would move. That explained a lot. I took the top off the left carb and found all the parts for the linkage still in the carb except the spring and the clip. I believe the spring had broken and after a while the vibration broke the clip or it fell off. Either way, the linkage fell apart and the slide was no longer connected to the throttle. I put the linkage back together and instead of a clip I used some snare wire wrapped in the clip groove to hold the whole thing in place. You think it's hard to get a clip on in that space, try wrapping snare wire around it. The wire held up fine for a few hundred kilometers.

I'd recommend using a little wire to hold everything together if you don't have all the proper parts for the linkage, just in case.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
How many of you would be willing to ditch the 2 links,springs and plastic bracket to help the worn pin divots

Got a machine shop willing to make the fat links,,for probly the same $ as 4 links and 2 springs

Won't happen overnight tho

Attachments

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
How many of you would be willing to ditch the 2 links,springs and plastic bracket to help the worn pin divots

Got a machine shop willing to make the fat links,,for probly the same $ as 4 links and 2 springs

Do you still use a spring with those.

They look good!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would pony up for a pair. Do you still need the clip on the end of the lower post?
Stopped by the local dealer to order springs and plates, said they had a spring in stock? Huh, I asked last night when I had it all apart and they didn't have one! So I bought it, came home tonight and took it all apart again. Gettin good at it. Installed the spring and added some #8 stainless washers to slide the plate over a bit. Bolted all back together, once around the house to make sure it worked.
Keeping my fingers crossed, heading up north tomorrow for a long weekend ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First test ride today, really cold this morning and still seemed to idle too high. Finally thought that maybe with syncing the carbs, it caused the idle just to be set to high. So I adjusted the idle speed screw at a rest stop, lowered to around 1800. Stayed that way the rest of the day, come to a stop sign, idled right down immediately.
So far the hanging idle is gone. Will see tomorrow on day 2 of our adventure.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
First test ride today, really cold this morning and still seemed to idle too high. Finally thought that maybe with syncing the carbs, it caused the idle just to be set to high. So I adjusted the idle speed screw at a rest stop, lowered to around 1800. Stayed that way the rest of the day, come to a stop sign, idled right down immediately.
So far the hanging idle is gone. Will see tomorrow on day 2 of our adventure.
Thats good news. :)

I set my base warmed up idle at about 1600.

It is kinda normal to have a short hanging idle after a hard run.. it should settle down in 5 -10 seconds by itself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts