Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Need a little advise on getting the primary off. I put on the puller and used the impact and hit with a 2 pound mall. Would not break free. Impact would not advance the puller any further. I do not have a holder but could hold with impact. I am afraid to hit the puller to hard and damage the crank. Does any one have any suggestions? How hard was yours to get off. I am going up this weekend and would like to put on my clutch kit.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
take the puller out pump a few pumps of grease into the crank end of the clutch through the bolt hole. then screw in the puller, it shouldnt take too much force then as the grease does the work by utilizing hydrolic power. should pop right off with a 3/8 drive long handle ratchet. clean grease from threads and clutch before reassembly. knock on wood, hasnt failed me yet. i know someone will flame me for this but, you shouldnt have to use the hammer or impact to ever remove any clutch on the crank. ski

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine is a mofo to remove each and every time......... Just use a pipe at the end of the ratchet for a bit more leverage and a buddy to help you out and it will pop off. I used my old style clutch holder with the hook end around one of the clickers to hold the primary while doing this.

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Heat center shaft of inside non-movable sheave with propane torch for about a minute and then torque on puller. I second not using an impact or hammer on crank. Could take out bearing.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Cheesy, but I used a standard nylon tie down strap hooked to footwell bar and then wrapped it around the clutch a couple times with an old rubber limited strap to give it grip. Using a large box end wrench that fit puller, it popped off after a good pull. No hammer/impact involved. Then a 8-10" fall (heldby & guided with my hands) to the floor, landing on the head of the puller bolt and it separated on about the 5th try. I'm on Royal Distributing ordering proper tools tonight, but in an emergency it worked for me,,,

Sounds like your is on much tighter than mine!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The grease thing works good, we tip the sled slightly and fill the bolt hole with oil and put the puller in and it hydros right off it has never not worked for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts