Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get my hands on a factory puller for the flywheel till next week, anyone have any backyard tricks to pop it off or undoo the nut?

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I use a normal automotive flywheel puller LIKE THIS ONE available at any auto parts store. To get the nut off, you could have a buddy hold the primary clutch with the holder or I have done it the real ******* way, pull one spark plug and turn motor over so one piston is about half way down the bore. Then thread in some soft nylon rope and turn the motor back the other way so the piston comes up and the rope gets squished between the head and piston. The rope will stop the piston from going past TDC so you can get the nut off.

-Mike

·
Registered
75 Posts
lmao i remember doing that when i was young and dumb riding old poo's i guess those old poo's were good for one thing
, learning how to work on sleds haha thank god i dont have to do that as much with the doo's

·
Registered
233 Posts
a harmonic balancer puller is all you need, available at any parts store for not too many $$, and a few bolts that fit and will turn in at LEAST 3 full turns.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If doing the rope trick be sure not to get the rope caught in any ports as it will break off and be in your motor when you start it. It won't be nice if it is a big chunk bouncing around in there rocking the piston.

Also be sure not to thread the bolts from the puller in to far as you will hit the stator and crack it. Keep tapping on the end of the puller as you tighten it in also to help remove the flywheel and put grease on the end of the puller that is touching the crank to allow it to spin easier.

Michael M

·
Registered
682 Posts
Ole rope trick might have been fine for plain bearing 4 strokes, but the type of bearings used in cranks and rods in 2 cycle could be damaged. Rather see ya pop it off with impact driver, which some wouldn't like either, but better than the rope IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts