Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
starter in my sled took a dump, and not really wanting to spend the dough for a new one, so I thought of removing it. Anyone done this, if so was it a tough job? I figured I couldnt just remove the battery and some other components without causing lighting or possibly gauge issues, but anyone know if the relay can be removed or anything like that? IS the starter itself easily removed, or are we talking pulling the motor here?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
If it is on your 04 Rev...just remove the starter.. battery..etc..
I would think you may want to leave the ring gear on your clutch...I am not Mr. mechanic but have installed and removed e-starters before..

Personly I would not worry about doing a search...I always like the latest a greatest...We can never stop learning. wheels are always re-invented

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
You do not have to pull the motor.
You need to remove the swaybar mount to access a hole in the tunnel to get at one of the starter mounting bolts. Also you need to replace the configuation harness above the engine where the relay is.

I have had good luck with ebay starters for about $100.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, I figured there would be wiring issue that would throw a hitch in my giddyup..

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
Yep need to replace the $35.00 harness up above the airbox or the sled will only fire every 5th pull and RER won't work.

I got my estart out without doing anything, it was a bit of a challenge to get my big hands in there to get the bolts out, but it worked!

You can take the ring gear off the clutch too, but the bolts are VERY hard to remove from what I've heard. I've been too scared to ruin my clutch trying to heat them to get them out...I've heard a hand impact screwdriver that you whack with a hammer will break them loose, but I'm not so sure!

·
Sled Builder
9,282 Posts
Yep need to replace the $35.00 harness up above the airbox or the sled will only fire every 5th pull and RER won't work.

I got my estart out without doing anything, it was a bit of a challenge to get my big hands in there to get the bolts out, but it worked!

You can take the ring gear off the clutch too, but the bolts are VERY hard to remove from what I've heard. I've been too scared to ruin my clutch trying to heat them to get them out...I've heard a hand impact screwdriver that you whack with a hammer will break them loose, but I'm not so sure!
I have a couple of those harnesses, used. I can get one to you for $25 - that includes shipping.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ty, Maize. I might take you up on that..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts