Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HOW DOES THIS AFFECT THE DPM BY TAKING AIRBOX OUT AND PUTTIN K&N FILTERS ON INSTEAD ?? OR CAN IT BE DONE??? IF SO ANY GAINS??? THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
From my experence messing with skidoo airboxes is a bad idea. I have tryed gutting mine. I have tryed running without one too and stock air box is the best period. Plus everything will work right. Also on any sled, if you ride in the powder much you will be better off running stock air box with flow rite filters. You can have a crazy amout of snow piled up and it still runs smooth. Maybe there is a air box mod kit that rocks but I have not found it. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Doo's box is well tuned unless you're needing more air from twin pipes, etc. Pulling or gutting the box effects the air pressure pickup in the box, which throws the DPM calibration curve off, I believe, but I don't recall the specifics. However, adding air to the doo rev and ZX box alla flowrites, etc., with proper jetting, appears to work for some. Doing this without screwing up the tuning of the air box is the trick. SLP has a new kit out, for example.

Doo does not leave much on the table in the intake or exhaust tuning, different than the other three OEM's. Good and bad - both AC and especially P have left lots on the table in the past on the intake and exhaust for the aftermarket, which means fewer aftermarket options and development for doo riders, and greater potential for the others, while doo does squeeze the most out of the stock setups.

Those gen2 and edge RMK's with cans/single pipes and intake mods really run well with that chassis. Like 10-20hp with similar RPM and torque band. Can't get that out of the doo aftermarket, which kept many riderrs off the summits. But the rev chassis brought many new riders to doo. Doo does leave some on the table in the head area. But the real doo techs, like Stealth, Sledhead (BJ), Cudney, RKT, can tell you much more, each in their own way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts