Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm fairly new to this forum and lacking in snowmobile knowledge in general but here it goes; I recently picked up a 98 Summit x 670 which has a Dyno Port exhaust. Here is my question I noticed one of the pipes had a crack in it, I took it off to weld it. When doing so I noticed there was what looked to be stove pipe putty or other sealer where the pipe was spring connected to the exhaust flanges and again at the can connection. Is this normal and if so what do I need/use to reinstall my pipes? thanks for your help. c

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
O.K. so no sealer/gaskets are required where the exhaust pipe is spring attached to the exhaust flanges at the engine. Thanks
Yes, you should use some Permatex high temp or equivalent sealant between the flange and pipe and again between the pipe and silencer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suspect that the seal was not tight and that is why there was old sealer present when the pipes where removed. c thanks for your help!

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
sealer is not needed with the proper fit i have no leaks with just gaskets it been 5000 miles
Proper fit??? Even with slip joint connections compared to ball socket type, I still use sealant.

No leaks meaning you don't see any un-burnt fuel/oil...or are you positive you don't have air leaks? With the way tuned two stroke pipes are I don't want to mess up the dynamics by not using 50 cents worth of sealant.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
This is the correct room temperature vulcanizing sealant to apply to exhaust components. You should always check the condition of the engine mount cushions and exhaust mounts before installing the system. The pulley alignment, belt slack and engine torque stop should also the adjusted first.
This way, you have eliminated the cause of system leaks and premature wear of metal to metal ball & socket y-pipe / exhaust manifold joint(s).

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Thanks Thumbdoctor! That's exactly what I have been using for as long as I can remember.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts